Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 07:56   #31

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40'
Re: New adventure at 70

If you are going to own a Sabre, joining the Sabre Forum on Yahoo.
If you are considering a Sabre join and put it out to the membership.
You will get very transparent answers.
Good Luck
samoorelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:10   #32

Boat: Ron Holland 34 - 34´

I had a sabre 30 mkIII between 1994 and 1997. I only sailed singlehanded between Newport,TO and Martha's vineyard and Nantucket, nothing heroic. Excellent boat, well designed and built, that "forgives" a lot. I miss her.
In reference to the equipment, I always found easier a sheet of paper where I mark distances than dividers. Especially in bad weather. And the hand compass is fundamental.
Carlos Molinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:19   #33

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 33

Not sure if I'm just being a s**t disturber but I did the ditch and Bahamas without using a compass and divider and lived to tell about it. I used paper charts to study where I was going and GPS (even Loran) to tell me where I was. I had multiple backups which apparently even commercial airplanes don't have. Strip chart marking off channel markers helped in the ditch and the rule in the Bahamas was always "read dee water mun". I would set coordinates on the GPS for open water sailing. I used PC software (Fugawi) to set up routes that I could load on to my GPS. I think if I tried to do it on paper, I would either mess it up or not have the time to do it properly when things got busy.
hpaabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:28   #34

Boat: formosa 46 1978

i have a Calkins/ Peterson 40' cutter that was completely restored in 2007. everything was new, sails, engine, standing and running rigging etc. water maker, genny, SSB and VHF with email ability. have sailed her all over S. Cal and Mexico. asking $35,000 since i'm rebuilding a Formosa 46 and close to splashing this latest and last project. she's in San Diego
joe
760-434-1203
jomoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:08   #35

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes View Post
Looking at a Sabre 30 for off shore / coastal cruising.
70 & going sailing.
Good choice, I've got a 1980 28'. It's a joy to sail & can be easliy handeled by one person.
With the mainsheet at the end of the boom it's like sailing a dingy

Although I've owned 11 boats through out my lifetime, this is my first sailboat. I'll be 64 when she goes back into the water this season & with any luck I'll be able to sail her for many years to come.

Happy New Year everyone!
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:14   #36

Don’t let age stop you. 70 is the new 50. I’m 60 and am in better physical and mental shoe then Inwas at 30. Just start out slow in waters where you can make mistakes without drastic results and you will learn quickly.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by medevicerep View Post
Don’t let age stop you. 70 is the new 50. I’m 60 and am in better physical and mental shoe then Inwas at 30. Just start out slow in waters where you can make mistakes without drastic results and you will learn quickly.
I'm 58 and buying my first boat ever.
I have a lot to catch up and will be ready to sail 2 weeks per year for few years till I retire.
I want to have the experience then.
I'm so glad that there is many of us older guys that prefer to sail away than been in a old folks home waiting to die.

Best wishes to all and Happy 2019!
Espiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:54   #38

Boat: Scout 30

I'm 63 & have been boating my whole life. I'm not stopping till they're shooting flaming arrows at my boat as we float away!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 12:50   #39
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'm 63 & have been boating my whole life. I'm not stopping till they're shooting flaming arrows at my boat as we float away!
And even then you'll go down with the ship? That's the spirit!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 13:07   #40

Boat: Scout 30

We need a Viking funeral emoji.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 13:07   #41

Boat: Oday 25

I'm still at it and I'll be 80 in June. Currently downsized several times for my 9th boat. Now a 25 footer. Lower maintainence
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:19   #42

Well, here is something for you superannuated noobs to contemplate :-) :

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...empt-1.4960631

Tough these old Poms!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:02   #43

Chech out youtube "Nicholson 32 resto mod". Owner used to own a Sabre 30. Sabre 30 is a great coastal cruiser. Well built fast sailor, but not meant to cross oceans. If you really want blue water he might give you feedback. I have a lovely Nic-32 for sale. More displacement, 13,670lbs, but overkill for a loop.
jimt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:09   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

70yo? You better hurry, then. Your life is probably halfway over already, so get started now. LOL. 70 is just a number and in no way determines whether you are fit to sail or not. Some people at 50 aren't. Some at 85 are still good to go. So do it like you feel it.

Chartplotter, etc is not the navigator. YOU are the navigator. Electronics just give you data. Make sure you know what to do with it. Take a course if you have not much background in navigation. If you intend to journey well out of sight of land, then you should know the rudiments of celestial navigation. It will hammer important concepts into your head, it will give you a fascinating hobby, and it will be an excellent backup navigation system. Or a primary navigation system. Your pick. I think it is a lot of fun to rely primarily on celestial, and check the GPS every few days, on a passage, just to see how close you got with 200 year (and much older!) techniques. My favorite chart plotter is my everyday phone, a Samsung Note 3, rooted, unlocked, running a custom OS, and Open CPN. I also have OpenCPN running on my Ubuntu powered Dell laptop, with a BU353 USB puck style GPS. Cheap, flexible, easy to use, and neither one is a one trick pony. But if both fail due to lightning strike or whatever, old fashioned sight reduction tables, almanac, and my old Plath sextant will make sure I make my intended landfall and never an unintended and unexpected one.

I like simple. I like redundant. My favorite VHF radio currently is my handful of bright yellow Baofeng UV-5R handhelds. They cost about $30 each and sadly are NOT type accepted so I have an installed old school plain vanilla VHF so I can always say I was talking on THAT one. However the new DSC radios offer a lot of potential advantages.

Out of VHF range, you have basically two choices... HF/SSB, and the various satellite solutions. What's wrong with both? Nothing at all!!! Given an either/or choice, me, I would go with an HF radio like the M-802 which gives you very effective and convenient comms on both marine and HAM frequencies. Makes a dandy SW receiver, too. Others have their reasons for preferring satellite communications such as Iridium.

Please consider installing AIS class B. You will be glad you did. And a sounder. Nice to know how much water is between the bottom of the sea and the bottom of the boat. Radar is cool too, though it does seem like the tail wagging the dog on a smallish boat, until you NEED it.

Learning to set your boat up to steer herself makes watchkeeping much less burdensome on a passage.

I suspect you will spend a couple of years puttering around the bays and sounds with some offshore hops initially, and a lot of what you do will not be navigatiing... it will be piloting. When you can see landmarks, you are piloting. When all you have is ocean, you are navigating. Or not. LOL. But it is still quite enjoyable to practice the simple things like LAN (noon latitude by Sun) or compass checks by amplitude or azimuth, even when you can SEE where you are just by looking at the church there, radio tower there, yacht club clubhouse there, restaurant and bar over that way, numbered channel marker 15 feet abeam to starboard, cow over there , etc. Worst mistake, already mentioned, is to worry so much about where you are on screen that you forget to check where you are at on the water. Or elsewhere if you are too late LOL.

Learn to maintain stuff. Change oil and filter, fuel filters, impellors, etc too early rather than too late. Get dirty cleaning or replacing bilge pumps and strainers and float switches. Learn how to tighten your stuffing box juuuuuuuust right so it barely drips. Practice everything you might ever have to do. Best way is to get caught with your pants down where help is available or you are in protected waters and no biggie to be on the hook for a couple days while you sort yourself out. Get some good books and I heard Nigel Calder's name mentioned, one very good author. Learn how to deal with electricity. Belts. Batteries. Chargers. Climb your mast, change your lights to LED so you don't have to climb back up so often. Learn to do your own splicing, and not just three strand dock lines, either. Get self sufficient. It will pay off big time if you ever take that long journey to distant places. Stuff WILL break or stop working, you can bet on that. And SeaTow doesn't make trips out into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean to get someone who didn't bring any fuses or impellors or fuel filters, or who let the jib halyard run or can't recover the main sheet or broke the tiller and can't steer or has a leak somewhere in the boat and can't find it or runs out of tootsie rolls and toilet paper.
Old 31-12-2018, 19:33   #45

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes View Post
...Navigation system? Communication?...
After cruising for 25 years (we're 63 & 69) we carry paper charts, dividers, parallel rules, hand bearing-compass, & all that junk (even a sextant) but we never use them. But we do know *how* to use them. We use a laptop with OpenCPN, a free download, connected to our AIS (for GPS & knowing where other boats are). The US has good, free charts for download, but for other areas we usually make our charts from Google Earth (here's our How-To page, with other cruising info nearby) with ancient CM93 electronic charts for backup (several folks provide downloadable copies).

For communication, we use a Standard Horizon GX2000 VHF, also connected to the AIS so we can make DSC calls & so we don't need the computer on all the time (our AIS is cheap & has no display of its own). But most comms happen over our phone, which we use to tether the internet to our computers whenever we have signal (which is most of the time). We buy new Pre-Pay SIMs in each new country, so our number is constantly changing, but we bought a permanent number from Skype for $30/yr. We have an Iridium satellite phone but we don't use it, as the service got too $$, so we dropped it. We have an SSB as well, but again, don't use it much. Handheld VHFs ditto.

Hope this helps! And may 2019 bring you Joy & fun new adventures!