Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 04:21   #31

Re: Never sailed and want to learn

You may be able to pick up a used Hobie Cat 16 over the winter. IMO, they are a lot more fun than the trainer sailboats. Just get out there and Good luck!
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15   #32

Boat: Freedom 30

City Island Yacht Club has Wednesday evening racing as well as ASA sailing courses. They also offer some evening intro to sailing nights for free. Unfortunately you will have to wait till the spring. Getting on a racing boat is a good, cheap way to learn and see if you enjoy the reality of sailing.
Until then read everything (The ASA text books I think are particularly good as are Chapmans and Annapolis book of seamanship) and check out the many video blogs like SV Delos on YouTube.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:11   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstberryman View Post
Hi Sand Crab:

How about you, friend? Do you still ride or ski? It sounds like you have hung up your board or boards.

Best,

Todd

I went out twice last year to Baker and Crystal. I'm about 1 1/2 hours without traffic from the slopes/mountains. I live 1/2 mile from the sound so I kayak mostly now and crew on my friends sailboat. I was in Big Sky during the glory days and I do miss that. But I'm going yakkin today so it's not so bad.

Take Care
Bobber
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
You may be able to pick up a used Hobie Cat 16 over the winter. IMO, they are a lot more fun than the trainer sailboats. Just get out there and Good luck!
Hobie 16's are used by total beginners all the way up to the best sailors in the world.

Racing them is lots of fun also and they can hit speeds of around 26 knots

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:33   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I can only tell you what worked for us. We were living in Dallas and on a lark we took our first ASA sailing lesson in Houston because we had nothing better to do on a 4 day weekend - we got the bug and flew to Fla and took 2 more courses and had the boat for 2 more days on our own.
That was in 2000 for the first lesson --
jump a bunch forward and we are wintering over in Herzliya Israel after sailing our Jeanneau DS 40 that we bought new (taxes helped) and set sail 11 years ago. this spring will be our 12th year underway - we have sailed to over 40 countries, done all the Carib, across the pond on a 2 handed sail, most of the Med, a circum nav of the Black Sea - and more to come

It takes time but spend the $$ go to Fla take the courses, charter a bit and then look for a boat - worked for us
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
At those prices in Florida you could fly to the UK and do a RYA course here and still save half the money. Or if you prefer a little warmer you could try the canaries.
Agree with this
3 grand for a 5-6 live aboard course is nuts
Go to the UK in spring and it will cost about 750.00US
Buy the RYA books in advance,
Take a Nav & Colreg course online,
and you would most likely gualify for
RYA Competentl Crew and and
International Certificate of Competance
Add another 5 days back to back and you might
even get to Coastal Skipper
I believe some RYA schools have a 9 day program as well
Book study over the winter and hit it the Spring
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39   #37
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Plus I hear the UK / commonwealth courses hold students to a much higher standard, more "IRL hands-on" learning takes place.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35   #38

Sailing. Takes you away. The wind blows. Humans are awestruck. How to harness and all the way to peak performance. What you want is sailbones. You have cement bones. You have to be born again to the waters. Each dynamic matters. My family scubas. I am not a diver. I do understand canvas, hulls and wind. We had three fun sailers. We bought a 26' then a 30'. You acquire skills at about $700 a foot of boat. Try it on. Do a little charity sailing. Give your time, crew the boat, listen and learn.
The SeaJewel
JanezTealz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:12   #39

Boat: cal29

Coast Guard Auxiliary offers free boating courses. Look them up in your area. you'll get the basics, then go crew on somebodys boat. Free doesn't get any cheaper.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:14   #40

Boat: cal29

Well said Jane
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hobie 16's are used by total beginners all the way up to the best sailors in the world.

Racing them is lots of fun also and they can hit speeds of around 26 knots
Agree!! I took a weekend course at a local Yacht Club and then found an old Hobie Cat on CL and have been working the basics for over a year. Those Hobie Cats can be fast! A lot of sail area for a small boat.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 23:49   #42

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I forgot one thing. WEATHER WEATHER WEATHER -- you need how to look at weather forecast and MAKE YOUR OWN forecast. need to learn where to get weather information and how to use it - We look at as many 4-5 forecasts when we are underway or going to do a day sail and then I do my own -
It saved our lives in our crossing in 2013 when we my forecast was not what some did not agree with - it looked like a great window to cross but I saw something that I did not like and did not feel comfortable with - 2 boats left and where never from again --
LEARN WEATHER
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:42   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Wait til spring. You will have a lot more options. A lot.

Meanwhile read read read, watch lots of YouTubes. Then no matter what sort of instruction you decide upon, you can hit the ground running.

I think the best way to actually learn to sail is to start out with a dinghy. Yeah, those little tubby boats that you always see puffing around little race courses and sometimes turning over and dunking their occupants. A good soaking, especially when the water hasn't quite warmed up yet, is a very effective teacher. You learn more about sailing in ten minutes in a dinghy than a day in a keel boat. And you can buy your own, for peanuts. Check out Craigslist and ebay. A car topper or pickup rider keeps things very simple. When you outgrow it, list it for sale where you bought it and you won't lose much on it relative to the hours of fun you had with it. And you can take her out in practically any lake or large pond. Then try a day sailer. A trailer quern. Tow it behind a vehicle, park it in the driveway. What, insurance? Hah. You should be able to find something suitable for cheap. Add an outboard or oars and you will have a hard time getting truly atranded. Now you get to Lear fun stuff like running aground and kedging off, and finding your way home when you can't see it. There is a lot of difference between dinghy and daysailer but your dink experience will still be a useful foundation. From there, find a $3k 30' or under fixer upper and you really get to learn stuff like what to do when the boat is filling up with water for some mysterious reason, or is otherwise not playing fair. At this point ownership costs escalate a lot. Insurance, slip, utilities, and more expensive repairs and upgrades. Now you get to go so some overnights and maybe some coastal cruising. Total cost for this course of self instruction probably around $10k, but you get to keep the boats. And wear a cool captain hat. This is a great way to get your hand in the game at your own pace and within your own schedule.

Unfortunately rhat will generally not qualify you to fly down to the Caribbean or the Med and charter a nice big boat for a floating,vacation. For that you need recognized instruction and certification. Talking ASA, RYA, etc. As a bonus you might also get a better quote on your insurance when you buy your first boat big enough to keep in the water. Some sailers prefer to take a charter vacation every year or two rather than maintain a boat that is mostly used as a money pit and afternoon cocktail venue. If that's not for you, the courses are still good and you can start out for free or nearly free with Power Squadron or other instruction venues.

Crewing can be horrible or it can be exhilerating, depending on the skipper, but you will learn stuff and it won't cost much if anything. Chip in on the post race beer and sammitches, sbout it. Potentially your biggest bang for the buck in fun afloat. Hang around marinas with a cooler full of iced down beer on race days. Some places have very informal races on Wednesday evenings and you might find a spot on a boat as rail meat, no experience necessary. Once you start learning stuff and meeting people you will have an easy time finding a boat to crew on. Breaking in can be tough but persistence and beer will usually get you in eventually. And the headaches of boat ownership are none of your concern, until you just can't help yourself for buying your own. Being an established personality with connections will find you good deals, too. Some cheap boats are worthy entries into yachting. Some cheap boats are actually very very expensive money pits, and most free boats are actually more costly than you can imagine, but you will have friends who can help you spot the gems in the gravel.

A combination of progressive boat ownership, formal instruction, and crewing can't be beat. Of the three though, I think buying tiny and up sizing as you learn gives you the most enjoyable, memorable, and comprehensive learning, especially if you don't plan on ever owning anything bigger than maybe 35'. YMMV of course. And the cost can be a ball breaker yeah, but doesn't absolutely have to be. If you are set on eventually buying anyway, I would lean heavily in that direction.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:12   #44
Marine Service Provider

It’s not like ordering a clock from Amazon. One never stops learning. Forget about your own boat as there is no need. These days of internet and sharing economy and google that if you really can’t find a crew spot on a vessel that one might think about applying for a job at Nordstrom’s in the men’s or women’s section selling shoes instead. If you REALLY wish to begin to embrace sailing as you say ? You will be at it in whatever capacity your heart desires by this day next week. Read each word carefully here. Learn a few handy knots and google your way into a berth and away ye go. Any chance one takes in life can and will deliver the nightmares and or the joys of one choices so take care. This path will give you exactly what you say you want. Let’s see how and what you are really impatient for. Couldn’t be cheaper than this path. What else?
Best wishes
Breffni
Breffni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:29   #45

Boat: Tartan 3800 OC 38'

Spend your dollars joining a Yacht Club; one that offers learn to sail programs, active racing & cruising & club house where you can meet other sailors. Members are always looking for interested sailors & even if you end up as “rail meat” on a racing yacht, it’s great fun & a chance to learn & become part of the crew. Best of luck! I’m currently crewing on a yacht sailing down the Cape of Good Hope!
Companera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail