Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 07:48   #61
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Needing suggestions on sailing from California and ending somewhere in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I'd bet it was not a Catalina 22.
It was not. It was a highly modified Maxus 22.

Interesting Sailboats: CIRCUMNAVIGATING ON A SMALL BOAT (MAXUS 22)
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 13:49   #62

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: Needing suggestions on sailing from California and ending somewhere in Europe

The sarcasm from this post, a little over the top. Good thing she didn't say they were going to do this in a Hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 13:57   #63

Boat: Endeavour 32

Sevenseas55 buy Captain Fatty Goodlanders book
https://www.amazon.com/Outfit-Sail-C.../dp/B00638SJII

Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 14:08   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compactorguy View Post
The sarcasm from this post, a little over the top. Good thing she didn't say they were going to do this in a Hunter

Good grief, that would be horrible. At least the Cat22 is designed to sail.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 17:53   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas55 View Post
So to recap:
The boat I am looking at obviously isn't a good choice as I have been told

What would you all look towards?
As I mentioned earlier we are looking for inexpensive as we want to upgrade in the future to cross larger oceans if I do absolutely love sailing. This first adventure is to dive in without making a permanent decision only to find myself and our son just not enjoying it for long term. Boats we have been offered to lease are just too large for our family at this time so a more affordable smaller boat that we can purchase cash out is what we are aiming towards. Thank you for the honest replies
Oh and someone asked about what we plan on doing with the boat when we fly to Europe well we won't ship it we are planning on donating it to a local family in need who may use it as a fishing vessel
Y'all do realize she posted this on page 2, right?
So instead of keeping on harping on what she's already figured out hows about help her with her next question, which was
Quote:
What would you all look towards?
As I mentioned earlier we are looking for inexpensive as we want to upgrade in the future to cross larger oceans if I do absolutely love sailing. This first adventure is to dive in without making a permanent decision only to find myself and our son just not enjoying it for long term.
Or have y'all chased her off with your negativity already?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 23:57   #66

Boat: Creala 36

Thank you Landlocked squid. That needed to be said. I was almost unable to read this far in the thread.
Now, lets turn some attention towards helping the lady out. They just want to find a way to check out some dreams.
Donald Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 06:58   #67

Most everyone has given you the information you need to to hear but you have a dream. It may take a little more time to rally the funds to purchase and refit the right boat for the trip. For a little inspiration and a view of the the coastlines and anchorages, look S/V Prism up on YouTube. They purchased a strong old ocean going boat and have sailed down to Mexico so far. Just to give you a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailrfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 08:16   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrfred View Post
Most everyone has given you the information you need to to hear but you have a dream. It may take a little more time to rally the funds to purchase and refit the right boat for the trip. For a little inspiration and a view of the the coastlines and anchorages, look S/V Prism up on YouTube. They purchased a strong old ocean going boat and have sailed down to Mexico so far. Just to give you a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Hans Christian 33 is a huge jump up in boat from what the OP has in mind. also runs about $100k in good condition. However, the HC33 has sailed the world, is a great sea boat, and probably one of the safest sailboats around. Sure is a comfortable ride, even in rough weather.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 08:41   #69

So, I suggest you watch s/v Prism on YouTube. They do a shot down the coast and, do a great job at showing some neat anchorages. They have just come around the point into the Sea of Cortez. They have an awesome boat too. As far as boats, it's tough to say without a price context. I've been looking at boats and, just found a screaming deal on a Westsail 33 for 20k. Its gonna need lots of elbow grease but, I though I would be spending at least 40k to get the same thing. So, there's deals out there but, from my ten years of shopping, if say you would be very fortunate to find anything safe for less than 15k.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 08:42   #70

Sorry. Typo. Westsail32.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, Europe, rope, sail, sailing