Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 12:06   #16

Re: Need Help Finding a Boat!

Thanks for the reply Don,
Draft is a concern for me. I don't have any experience with centerboards. Does anyone have a opinion on them? It seems like it would be a concern on an older boat but I've never worked on one and could be unfounded skepticism.

If it were just me Id definitely be looking at 27-29 ft boats, but with a lady on board I think a 30 is the smallest we could pull off.

Tartan, Pearson, Columbia, Cape Dory, Rawson, and Cal are at the top of my list right now. Thanks for the help

Wompfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:08   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Here's the link for Baldwin's recommendations. The whole site is good to read:
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

and:
Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

You're in a good place. If you've got time, you're likely to stumble upon a great deal if you keep your eyes open and aren't deadset on a particular brand. And a second for Steady's plug re: the under 30k thread. I know he's already helped at least a few folks find their future boats.

From the great lakes to the east coast, the erie canal out through the hudson river and then down the coast. Could be a great way to shake a new-to-you boat down on your way towards more remote locales.

I'm on a Vancouver 274 with the GF. I wouldn't want to go any smaller, but it's purpose built for long distance sailing. Especially at the smaller end of the spectrum, overall length is not necessarily the best metric.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28   #19

Thanks for the help guys, I hadn't seen that thread that Steady started. Pretty incredible finds on there and very interesting boats! Definitely some boats I haven't seen before. That link for good old boats looks like a great resource as well!
Wompfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:51   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Contessa 32, asking $37,000 (usd), located on Lake Ontario, Toronto Canada, but its an easy sail down the coast to Florida....and fresh water boat is very good.
That's close to double what a Contessa 32 has sold for in Ontario in many years according to soldboats.com

I have not surveyed one since 2009. It was in very good condition and sold for $21,000 Canadian way back then..... that's $16,449US today.
Old 04-11-2017, 14:02   #21

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Enjoy you're search, there are a lot out there. It is probably worth your while to dial for dollars - call all of the boat yards within a couple of hours for boats seized for mechanics liens or abandoned. A lot of good boats never make it on sailboatlistings.com and Craigslist.com, much less Yachtworld.com - but by all means check those.

There are some oddballs out there in you're size/$ range - European aluminium boats and such. We love the Cape Dorys, Tartans, Bristols and anything designed by Bob Perry: Islander, Aloha, and pricier options Baba 30, Valiant 32, Saga 35. Some of the smaller Island Packets fall int your range.

Yes, we follow Steady's under $30K thread. I get yelled at for stopping a conversation to read an update. We bought our liveaboard and no longer shopping - it's voyeurism now.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 14:26   #22

I have a nice Cape Dory 27 for sale and would sell it for 20k firm, if you are interested, send me a message Randy
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 16:36   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Cape Dorys are great boats but have small interiors for their length due to the long overhangs. I wouldn't go under 30' for 2 to live aboard unless it's with something more commodious like an Island Packet or a Nonsuch. The Sea Sprites are similar to Cape Dorys in design & quality. In your budget I'd be most concerned with condition. Requiring a diesel should not be a problem but it needs to be in good shape or it will blow your budget. Requiring a tiller will really limit your choices so I'd be flexible with that. Here's a few interesting boats in Florida that I found on Craigslist:
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/...364889111.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...328345899.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...324358167.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...321156862.html
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...328207006.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 17:24   #24

My Cape Dory 27 is tiller steered, 2cyc 16hp Yanmar diesel and cruises well for 2 people. It is rigged out for single handing.

wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat