Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 11:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Need advice , moving my family onto a cat for 6 months or a year to cruise the ca

I do this, in the BVI, and I think I can help. PM me.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 13:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need advice , moving my family onto a cat for 6 months or a year to cruise the ca

I don't care what, or how many, sailing/boating classes you take, you will still be uninsurable. This means that you will be unwelcome in any marina; public, private, foreign or domestic. Even if you buy the boat for cash and don't care about hull insurance there are some countries in the Caribbean that will not allow you to clear in and sail their waters without acceptable 3rd party public liability coverage that includes wreck removal and reef damage.

I recommend you charter a few times for a couple of years with a captain/instructor. Or, like a fellow I know who had little or no experience who bought a Leopard 46, put his whole family through Steve Colgate's school, then for insurance purposes and just plain common sense, he hired a fulltime 100 ton Ocean Master skipper who sailed with them through the Caribbean, the Panama Cannel down to French Polynesia and back to Hawaii. Took the better part of a year and now he cruises on his own.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 19:12   #18

Why would I be uninsurable, and others not?
So nobody has boat insurance ?
russelljw1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 19:41   #19
Marine Service Provider

Because you stated that you have completed only ASA 101 but have no current, qualifying and documented sea-time in any thing even near the type of boat you are proposing to buy or in the areas of operation where your intend to sail her.

If you don't believe me go ahead and buy the boat first and then try to get the complete type of coverage on her and yourself that a prudent person would want before going to sea. Or, contact Moorings, Dream or one of the major charter companies and see if they will turn you and your family loose alone with one of their half-million dollar cruising cats.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but by you questions alone you appear to very naïve about the extent and complexity of the undertaking you are contemplating.

As to your second question; "So nobody has boat insurance?" this kind of confirms my suspicions.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 20:23   #20

Boat: Boatless

Ahhhh, back off on Russell. He will figure it out.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 21:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Because you stated that you have completed only ASA 101 but have no current, qualifying and documented sea-time in any thing even near the type of boat you are proposing to buy or in the areas of operation where your intend to sail her.

If you don't believe me go ahead and buy the boat first and then try to get the complete type of coverage on her and yourself that a prudent person would want before going to sea. Or, contact Moorings, Dream or one of the major charter companies and see if they will turn you and your family loose alone with one of their half-million dollar cruising cats.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but by you questions alone you appear to very naïve about the extent and complexity of the undertaking you are contemplating.

As to your second question; "So nobody has boat insurance?" this kind of confirms my suspicions.
That was sarcasm. Guess you didn’t catch it.
I don’t mind taking a long time to get experience. Everybody starts somewhere , this is something my wife and I want to learn and do some day.
I spent a lot of time on a boats when I was a kid and want to do the same for my kids .
I don’t have to buy a boat right away we were going to charter boats here and there for a few years.
Old 29-04-2019, 22:47   #22

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

******** re the insurance. I sailed as a kid in australia and later in cambodia, but never a single 'official' logged mile... i didnt bother. At age 40, I bought my first (and last) boat, a 53 footer. My two partners had zero experience sailing before that. They trained to get their competent crew certificates, and I tested out of my ICC in a week on the water, which I only got because I thought I wanted to charter first and needed that. Zero logged miles. Got insurance in 10 minutes with pantaneous, for the full value of the boat, including 6 million euros liability in case i crash a marina at 7 knots, for the entire mediterranean. We've been living onboard for the last year sailing around with no problems anywhere. You can do it.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 00:18   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

russelljw1976,

Of course you can take your family sailing. It is true that $100k won't buy much of a catamaran. It is also true that people are buying old monohulls, fitting them out as they see fit, and going cruising in them. It is that it will sometimes feel like you need 36 hr. days, your work week for money and your work week for your future sailing plans.

Imho, you'll be needing a good hull, probably wind up being between 40 and 48 ft. If the kids are mixed genders, the odd one out will need a small private space, call it an aft cabin, and the others: hoping here the 16 yr old and 19 are the same gender? They can all share. The elder ones will be leaving for their own lives. Therefore, the smaller boat should serve.

What people used to do was learn to sail, either by dinghy sailing lessons or by crewing on race boats (at low levels). What that teaches you is priceless, and you may not get it in bought lessons. It is how people handle (or don't) unexpected negative situations, and feeling the boat behave that are most instructive. Once learned, it will inform all your future decisions.

Those of us who think of ourselves as frugal, work on our own boats, because boat workers don't do it like you like, or charge too much, or we treasure the satisfactions, but basically we're thrifty with our monies. If that doesn't fit your picture, you'll be in for an expensive ride. It's not just the $$, though, it is the time waiting on others, and other frustrations that drag one down.

You might want to be clearer on what plans there are for the nest-leaving chicks, and the others. Home schooling isn't for everyone, but if you treat it seriously, it can be great!

The problem with chartering vacations is that they're money sucks, for a very temporary return, and for low budget people like me, the money'd better be spent on a small mono and sailing now. Move closer to the water if you're far away. Sail now, and learn. Picking up certifications along the way can be handled, but you don't have to spend $50 k to learn to sail!

All of you could learn to sail in a dinghy program. And possibly learn that sailing is fun, and the competition among family members can be a hoot!

Imho, you need to re-think the plans, or possibly to simply reveal more of them, and including the involvement of your significant other. I, personally, wonder who will provide the science instruction for the kids.....

Ann
Old 30-04-2019, 05:08   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
russelljw1976,

Of course you can take your family sailing. It is true that $100k won't buy much of a catamaran. It is also true that people are buying old monohulls, fitting them out as they see fit, and going cruising in them. It is that it will sometimes feel like you need 36 hr. days, your work week for money and your work week for your future sailing plans.

Imho, you'll be needing a good hull, probably wind up being between 40 and 48 ft. If the kids are mixed genders, the odd one out will need a small private space, call it an aft cabin, and the others: hoping here the 16 yr old and 19 are the same gender? They can all share. The elder ones will be leaving for their own lives. Therefore, the smaller boat should serve.

What people used to do was learn to sail, either by dinghy sailing lessons or by crewing on race boats (at low levels). What that teaches you is priceless, and you may not get it in bought lessons. It is how people handle (or don't) unexpected negative situations, and feeling the boat behave that are most instructive. Once learned, it will inform all your future decisions.

Those of us who think of ourselves as frugal, work on our own boats, because boat workers don't do it like you like, or charge too much, or we treasure the satisfactions, but basically we're thrifty with our monies. If that doesn't fit your picture, you'll be in for an expensive ride. It's not just the $$, though, it is the time waiting on others, and other frustrations that drag one down.

You might want to be clearer on what plans there are for the nest-leaving chicks, and the others. Home schooling isn't for everyone, but if you treat it seriously, it can be great!

The problem with chartering vacations is that they're money sucks, for a very temporary return, and for low budget people like me, the money'd better be spent on a small mono and sailing now. Move closer to the water if you're far away. Sail now, and learn. Picking up certifications along the way can be handled, but you don't have to spend $50 k to learn to sail!

All of you could learn to sail in a dinghy program. And possibly learn that sailing is fun, and the competition among family members can be a hoot!

Imho, you need to re-think the plans, or possibly to simply reveal more of them, and including the involvement of your significant other. I, personally, wonder who will provide the science instruction for the kids.....

Ann
Thank you,
First we don’t mind homeschooling at all, we have been homeschooling on and off for years.
We have also been living off grid at almost 10,000 ft in the Rocky Mountains in a cabin I built myself. I can for surely do most if not all the work on the boat myself .
So we were planning on keeping our property in CO to hold all our stuffs.
We have had enough of living in the USA and we’re in the process of finding a small home to buy in southern Mexico (Caribbean side) or the Caribbean where we will start learning to sail. Maybe buy a 20 to 30ft monohull or a smaller cat, to start learning on after taking some classes.
My family is pretty used to up and moving we’ve lived a lot of places including abroad ( margarita island ) for almost 7 years . We now miss the beach and Caribbean slow paced lifestyle .
So that’s it that’s what I’m working with. My wife and I are both up to the challenge of learning to sail. Both of us are mentally and physically prepared to learn. We don’t need to sail around the world but would like to sail around the Caribbean.
Old 30-04-2019, 07:07   #25

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelljw1976 View Post
Thank you,
First we don’t mind homeschooling at all, we have been homeschooling on and off for years.
We have also been living off grid at almost 10,000 ft in the Rocky Mountains in a cabin I built myself. I can for surely do most if not all the work on the boat myself .
So we were planning on keeping our property in CO to hold all our stuffs.
We have had enough of living in the USA and we’re in the process of finding a small home to buy in southern Mexico (Caribbean side) or the Caribbean where we will start learning to sail. Maybe buy a 20 to 30ft monohull or a smaller cat, to start learning on after taking some classes.
My family is pretty used to up and moving we’ve lived a lot of places including abroad ( margarita island ) for almost 7 years . We now miss the beach and Caribbean slow paced lifestyle .
So that’s it that’s what I’m working with. My wife and I are both up to the challenge of learning to sail. Both of us are mentally and physically prepared to learn. We don’t need to sail around the world but would like to sail around the Caribbean.
Sounds like you are looking more for validation than differing opinions. Good luck!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 08:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Sounds like you are looking more for validation than differing opinions. Good luck!
Not looking for validation at all. Just good advice from other sailers of where to begin.
Old 30-04-2019, 12:40   #27

Seems to be a theme where parents want to run off with a gaggle of kids.

The percentage of kids who this benefits is certainly minuscule.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 13:04   #28
cdy

3 of your 4 kids are teenagers - with 2 almost adults - obviously you know your kids the best - but are they in favor of living on a boat? If not, its going to be tough on a small ( relatively) boat. My advice - not so much as a boater but as a former expat ( and currently a part time one -Colombia) the expats I know that are the happiest are the ones there because of the love of the country - not because they were fed up with life in the US - if you are unhappy in the US you may be just as unhappy in another country ( or on a boat) - make sure you have a sit down with all the kids and make sure everyone is on board -
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 16:05   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
3 of your 4 kids are teenagers - with 2 almost adults - obviously you know your kids the best - but are they in favor of living on a boat? If not, its going to be tough on a small ( relatively) boat. My advice - not so much as a boater but as a former expat ( and currently a part time one -Colombia) the expats I know that are the happiest are the ones there because of the love of the country - not because they were fed up with life in the US - if you are unhappy in the US you may be just as unhappy in another country ( or on a boat) - make sure you have a sit down with all the kids and make sure everyone is on board -
We move all the time we know what the countries are like we would consider moving to.
I’m not looking for people to tell me what my kids will or will not like. We are just fine on that, nor do we have to stay on a boat for longer then we all want.
I just just want to follow the best steps in to get my family knowledgeable, skilled and safe at operating a sailboat on the seas.
As of now I’m going to find a asa 101 course or a combo and start putting us through it.
Old 30-04-2019, 18:36   #30

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

You can definitely do it. There are boats out there that would work for the family size and price. There are insurers who will insure you. You'll need to be prepared to travel to find the boat, and it may be 20+ years old and need some work and probably will be a custom build rather than a major manufacturer, but they're out there...

Tags
cruise, family, rib