Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 18:50   #16

Re: N. Carolina sounds

Finally a topic I can comment on. I have lived in eastern NC for all of my life. If you're thinking sail boat and dock your only real practical options are closer to the beach. Beaufort, Swansboro, etc. Little Washington is a good ways inland . If you just want to putter around the sound you'd be ok there but it's shallow and has lots of underwater obstructions like logs, stumps , etc. It is close to Greenville though and that's a decent little town with a Heck of a football team, Go Pirates! The thing about Washington, Elizabeth City, Edenton, and the like is the area itself. It's a very depressed area. No industry no jobs no money. The only thing on abundance is farmland. Oh and bugs. The mosquitos are big enough to fly in formation. Squadrons of them and they're not afraid of skin so soft. You need deet to compete. Stick to the swansboro Beaufort area and if a hurricane comes leave. That's what insurance is for.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:48   #17

Boat: PSC 37

Lived in Beaufort for 6 years and worked on the Neuse. Great area, low cost of living with great boating. Outstanding boating community. From there you can go out the inlet to Lookout a Bight, or up the ICW to the Neuse.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 14-02-2015, 15:49   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by allied85259 View Post
Many thanks for the great info. Ok, many positives and negatives were pointed out. Any thoughts on places that have more positives and less negatives(excluding the west coast of the US)?
Generally, the further south you go, the longer the boating season. That is, if you haven't already decided on your area. Also, the older you get, the more important it is to be within a short drive to medical facilities.
Old 14-02-2015, 15:55   #19

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer

The best of that area is "Beaufort,NC." Shelter islands, great beaches, and deep, beautiful, clear water. Please don't tell anyone else though! ha! ha!

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 16:27   #20

Boat: PSC 37

Beyond Beaufort, how about Sarasota? Sheltered water.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 15-02-2015, 08:15   #21

If you like to mingle with cruisers stay close to the Intracoastal route through the Sounds.
Note that the inlets between Norfolk and Beaufort, NC are mostly not navigable except in the best weather and with current local knowledge, making it a possible multiday trip to blue water.
I am keeping my boat in Southport, NC at the moment. Excellent facilities and pretty town, but probably not as cheap as some of the other places, especially on the water.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 19:08   #22

Boat: Pearson 365

I was at Deep Point (southport) marina for 3 years. Great place. I'm prolly coming back this fall. Southport is a great little town where everybody knows your name. This time I'll be at the Southport marina.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:23   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catalina 350 35'

Check out Home Page and VANDEMERE, NC - Home. The marina is on Vandemere Creek just off the Bay River. The location is a few miles from the ICW and the Pamlico Sound. The marina has 8 feet of water on most days (wind driven tides) and the town has land and small, inexpensive cottages.
SV Ventosa is offline   Reply With Quote