Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 18:41   #31

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
Re: My Personal Experiences With Rich Pesky Land Owners and Anchoring

So, the bottom line on this thread is: Sometime the landowner, and sometime the boater, is the *******! Sounds a little like life doesn't it? There is good and bad no matter where you look. Try looking for the positive and you may find it!
Old 15-10-2015, 19:06   #32

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We have found offering fresh fish, lobster, and or sundowners works wonders, as does a big smile and being friendly.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 21:50   #33

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

4 me, meanness is one of the hardest things to swallow. It would have been hard for me not to shotgun that stereo. Smile.

I know in Malibu there is quite a controversy going on about trespassing into the beach. It is public land but the uber rich and highly connected landowners, I.e. Hollywood's shamefully rich, have a private security guard threaten people with jail, sheriff's department summons, and such. The beach is not private below high tide. Yet, the rich try and pull it over.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 04:39   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Word of advice....take down the Malaysian courtesy flag before using that nice little private bay in Brunei. A sailor was politely allowed to stay even after making this social gaff
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:58   #35

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I have no problem with land owners. I respect their privacy. I share land with my siblings that is waterfront and a very desirable anchorage. I grew up getting to know cruisers from all over the world and this is how I ended up where I am now.

Here in Florida most land owners simply shrug their shoulders. This is because its not an issue for most land owners - their houses may be waterfront but do not border desirable anchorage areas.

The ones with the bone to pick are those next to desirable anchorage areas. The cul-de-sac of anchorages to be precise. Unlike a cul-de-sac you can't park your boat along the street leading to the end... you have to park in the turnaround. Thus, those are the homes most impacted.

I do have a problem with water-skiers and jet skis. How is it that a jet ski or water skier boat traveling at 25+ knots kicking up a huge wave is not a danger to animal life and the environment but a sailboat traveling at 5 knots is? Seems they have it backwards.

Of course, I am sure that up north you don't have nearly as many live-aboards that simply park a boat as a cheap place to live. Most live aboards are not bad people and they try and keep their boats clean and not disturb the neighbors BUT as you say, the few bad apples make it bad for everyone.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 12:24   #36

In all my travels (lengthy and frequent, mainly by motorbike), I have found that no matter their station in life, the vast majority of people are simply wonderful. When working in a bar (perhaps my favourite job throughout my life), I find the same thing too, and, that most people have far more in common than they realise..

In decades of travelling, crisscrossing Europe, I can count the number of truly evil scumbags I have come across, on the fingers of one hand.

We remember the scumbags, so that seems to make them appear to be far more common than they really are.

But then again, I do try to steer well clear of politicians and bureaucrats.

PS. The most annoying trait in most people, I have found, is their failure to return books they have borrowed from me.

So I no longer lend books. I give them away instead.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, enc