Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 11:22   #16

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: My Personal Experiences With Rich Pesky Land Owners and Anchoring

I have many great experiences.

In the US, southern california was a problem because the patrol boats put a time limit on every possible anchorage. This is really sad but fortunately it's not like that anywhere else I have been.

In new zealand I have many bad experiences. For example: I was threatened to be rammed by a steel boat because I anchored in this guy's normal "spot". This actually happened twice, once in south, and again in the north island by a different boat. I was also told to leave there were wili waws (40-50 knot wind) when I anchored in durville island because the bay was "private" etc... This type of thing happened often, practically everywhere in the country, but also met some nice people too.

I never have any problems in any other countries.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:44   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here in the thousand islands region of Lake Ontario, there is a popular anchorage in the Admiralty group, just SE of Beaurivage island (which is a public park). The "lee" comes from a small private island marked as "island 6" on the charts. On summer weekends there might be 50 boats of all sorts anchored there.

On one occasion, I was anchored close by island 6, since my boat was small, and there was wind and waves, even in the anchorage. A power boat anchored even closer to the private island. I saw the people on the island checking out the many boats from their private dock and boathouse. They Opened the doors to the boathouse, and turned the stereo up to 11, playing some non-descript country music. Then they all got into a powerboat and left the island, music still playing. As you know, sound carries well over the water. For those of us close by, it was annoying to the point of unbearable. The powerboat anchored near us had a small baby aboard. The baby began to cry, and no amount of care from the parents could settle it. There was a big wind, and the anchorage was crowded, so moving was not an attractive option. The music played for about 4 hours, well after dark, until the island owners smugly returned.
---------------------------------------------------------------
When at anchor, I make it a point to visit all (or as many as possible) other sailboats nearby, say hello, and offer local knowledge. I often invite people aboard my boat, which is sometimes awkward because I keep no alcohol aboard. There are a few people/families I see year after year...which is difficult because I keep changing boats, so I'm very difficult to recognize. The best part is seeing the children grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 112.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	111038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 114.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	111039  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 177.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	111040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 124.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	111041  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:46   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I've only anchored for the night once in Sarasota off from someone's "McCastle". I spent the night dreading a gestapo visit. Never happened.

I am really glad to see all the positive posts.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:58   #19

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You have been lucky that anchoring was behind the people with real money not the people that have to prove they have it.
That was my exact impression as well. The OP likely interacted with people living on ancestral land. They very likely grew up on or near that land as well, or at least have strong roots in the area, making them well acquainted with the boating culture and customs.

I imagine there is no coincidence that the landowner issue is more prevalent in areas with higher concentrations of Nouveau Riche. Nothing wrong with that, of course, as the self-made are to be greatly admired (especially in recent years). But by definition, these are people less inclined to be local or had childhoods interacting the very waterways being contested.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:07   #20

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

I have a slightly off-topic but relevant question:

If a landowner's dock extends out beyond their property and into a waterway, what rights does the landowner have regarding that portion of the dock?
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:26   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post

If a landowner's dock extends out beyond their property and into a waterway, what rights does the landowner have regarding that portion of the dock?

The topic if riparian rights (land owner water front) varies by state, and so the advise given here should be viewed through that filter

As for the dock, it is theirs, but you can walk under it, fish under it, and paddle under it. Some states require a permit (beyond simple building permits), and some do not. It also varies locally.

The extent to which landowners understand this is variable. Additionally, although in many states the wet beach is public, it is understandable that the owners are touchy, since the line between walking on a wet beach and having a messy beach party is often crossed. The only times I have ever been questioned were when I had landed a dingy to one side of a marina with no dingy dock.
Old 15-10-2015, 12:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The topic if riparian rights (land owner water front) varies by state, and so the advise given here should be viewed through that filter
Thank you for posting that map. I was thinking that WA state was different in that the landowner owned the beach. Did not realize that LA and HI were the same. I can remember discussions on kayak groups about having access issues in WA state.

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 13:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The music played for about 4 hours, well after dark, until the island owners smugly returned.
They must have been those folks throwing beer cans at the Blue Jays game, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:03   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

As for the dock, it is theirs, but you can walk under it, fish under it, and paddle under it. Some states require a permit (beyond simple building permits), and some do not. It also varies locally.

The extent to which landowners understand this is variable. Additionally, although in many states the wet beach is public, it is understandable that the owners are touchy, since the line between walking on a wet beach and having a messy beach party is often crossed. The only times I have ever been questioned were when I had landed a dingy to one side of a marina with no dingy dock.
I guess it is a fine line. I for one, wouldn't want beer cans strewn in front of my home beach front or curb.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:34   #25

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post

On a waterway with seawalls/rip rap, the landowner owns the seawall, hence it's private property. Any dock belongs to the landowner and it is private property. Boats cannot impede navigation to/from the private dock. If there is no dock, the public can use the water up to the seawall.

Depending on the waterway width, USCG states a private dock cannot extend into the water further than 25% of the waterway. Local control can be more restrictive, but not allow more than USCG rules. On a 200' wide waterway, a landowner could build a dock out to 50', assuming local rules allow it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:37   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Too bad someone didn't unplug the stereo turned up to 11.
He would have been given a hero's welcome back to his boat by the whole anchorage !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:40   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A few years ago, a group of powerboaters purchased the mineral rights to a lovely bay, surrounded by cottages (here in the thousand islands). They had a large, dock built in the centre of the bay, on their "mineral" rights, complete with power tapped off a nearby underwater cable. The surrounding cottagers were livid about this floating party island in their prestine bay and started legal action. Unfortunately, the group of powerboaters were also all lawyers. I Never heard how it all ended...
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 17:35   #28

Here in Palm Beach County, FL, in the Town of Palm Beach, be aware that there are a FEW homes that actually have a special Riparian Rights, and own the land that is UNDER THE WATER ALL THE TIME for a certain distance behind their home in the intracoastal waterway. Not just to the tide level. Goes back to a long time ago, when the big money was developing Palm Beach.

That is why A) the intracoastal channel is on the far west side of the waterway, and you will see a lot of boats anchored in the center of the waterway, which is over 1/2 mile wide for a lot of the distance.

So, be careful of picking a fight with a Palm Beacher, they may be right and you CAN'T anchor there.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 17:48   #29

Boat: Nimble Kodiak; 26'

In the 70's, it was my experience (from sword fishermen in Gloucester to Canadian Naval executives in the Bahamas) in the end we are all equals, a family of comrades:
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

By far the majority of us are really decent folks.
Fair winds and a following sea!
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 18:01   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A bit of a twist in Belize, anything you intall on the bottom of the sea is immediately public property including docks and moorings. Though for practical purposes they are usually respected as private.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, enc