Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 06:48   #1

pirate My Evil Plan Was Successful!

Long post - sorry

Six years ago my wife and I did a half day sail in St. John. It was my second time on a sailboat. Her first. It was a fun day - not a lot of wind, a fun time all the same.

In 2014 we had a land-based vacation in Tortola during the off-sailing season and spent a day in front of the Soggy Dollar under a palm tree drinking and watching the cats and monos sail into the bay. I commented how fun it would be to island hop. She sipped her Painkiller and agreed.

Since that time I have been determined to learn to sail. I've been reading blogs and watching YouTube videos of folks who have made the leap from coastal cruising to overnight (and longer!!) passages to reach beautiful parts of the world, and I have been telling her all about these foolish dreamers following the wind. Last week she said, "Why do you keep talking about these long overnight sails? Can't we just rent a boat in St. Thomas or somewhere and spend a week sailing?"

Why yes... yes we can (the bobber on the line starts to move - there's a nibble).

We are a bit financially strapped this year for vacation, so instead of a week near the sand and waves, we're staying home. But part of the stay at home vacation was that we have nearby adventures. Hey, look, wife, there's a place at Lake Lanier that has sailing lessons. Why don't I learn to sail while we're on our stay-cation?

On Saturday I had a visit scheduled to go to the sailing club for more information, and I said, "Hey, why don't you come with me?" She did. And as soon as she set foot on the dock - seriously - she took the hook. While we waited for Dan at Sunrise Marina to finish his business, we were looking at boats. She was curious about how much living room there was - wow, they're bigger than I thought they would be - oh, cool, you can climb up the back of the boat after swimming - we would have to have a boat with a cover over the back (the bimini).

We talked with Dan about the lessons and the club. We found out she could come along for the ride to learn, too (start reeling it in). He explained how the sail club worked (a bit of resistance, wait, slack on the line, keep reeling in). I signed up - got my ASA book from him and went to a lake-front restaurant for burgers and beer. She was flipping through the book asking about heeling, sail trim, "I thought sheets meant sails" (landed it!)

There is no more trying to convince her. She's all in. We are on our way to becoming sailors.
edselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 13:09   #2

Boat: never mind...
Re: My Evil Plan Was Successful!

You're a lucky man! Good luck on the lessons and future vacation.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 13:19   #3

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

I love it when an evil plan come to fruition. Congrats!
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 13:30   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well done so far!

The truly evil planning will have to start when you decide to buy a boat.
Old 04-05-2015, 13:38   #5

Thumbs up Re: My Evil Plan Was Successful!

Very devious indeed, that level of deviousness is usually attributed to females. When born, they are taken to a separate room in the hospital and tutored on how to handle men, evidently you were listening in.

Congrats on taking on sailing lessons, too many guys think that sailing is a male thing therefore they don't need lessons. They buy a boat, take their whole family cruising and learn along the way, putting everyones life at risk.

One word of advice, take it easy when you finally go with just the two of you and don't scare her off. Be ready for the inevitable question from the "admiral"
"but what is a big wave comes".

Good luck and safe sailing

Frank
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 15:01   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Oh Ed, you foolishly think you are maneuvering her into this. She is probably so many steps ahead of you that she has you convinced it was your idea. Either way, good for you both!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 15:23   #7

Good on you.

Like your other post, where someone mentioned your avatar could use a change, I agree.

That poster never explained why, so here goes:

1. It's childish

2. Many of us started out with those flags, thinking it was "cool." Now that so many people have been killed by pirates (like, not only now, but all through history), it isn't cool anymore.

3. You could find something a LOT more humorous and fun.

4. It's childish.

Good luck with your sailing future.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 16:46   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Hope it lasts once the ad sail day is experienced. I truly do!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-05-2015, 16:51   #9

Boat: Monk 36

You are smarter than me. I bought the boat and am still coaxing her to go sailing with me. But ...... it is getting easier.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good on you.

Like your other post, where someone mentioned your avatar could use a change, I agree.

That poster never explained why, so here goes:

1. It's childish

2. Many of us started out with those flags, thinking it was "cool." Now that so many people have been killed by pirates (like, not only now, but all through history), it isn't cool anymore.

3. You could find something a LOT more humorous and fun.

4. It's childish.

Good luck with your sailing future.
1. I don't care if you think that.
2. I don't care if you think that.
3. Maybe, but I like it.
4. I don't care if you think that.

Really - so much fuss over a cartoo.
edselby is offline   Reply With Quote