Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 09:43   #16

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Re: My boating dreams are dying...

Yep, a unicorn indeed All boats are compromises, just like cars, airplanes and, oh yes, relationships. Here is a former yacht broker's two cents; It sounds like you both enjoyed your runabout because you shared a common interest and the boat was the perfect vehicle to enjoy it with.

Now you need to do the same thing on a bigger scale. First, decide what your primary goals are with your next boat. If your primary goal is weekending at or near your marina, look for interior accommodations you find pleasing and space to entertain the number of people you'd like to have onboard. You'll pay considerably more for a boat with diesel engines. Is it worth it? That depends on the answer to the next question:

How much do you plan to run the boat? A boat with a planing hull like the Searay will go fast but use lots of fuel. Diesels are more efficient and highly recommended as gas engines will eat you out of house and home. you'll pay more for diesel engines (maybe $30-40K depending on boat size). Whether or not that expense is worthwhile depends on how much you'll run the boat.

A true trawler has a displacement hull like a sailboat. Your speed is limited but your fuel use will be minimal by comparison. A compromise is a boat like a Grand Banks or Mainship (and there are a few others) that have trawler styling and accommodations but a semi-displacement hull which gives you the best of both worlds (again, a compromise but just my opinion). Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further. Good luck and don't let your dreams die!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:44   #17

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

Too Coys - I have a wife of 40 years that tolerates my racing of 40' sailboats. I have 3 partners in this racing program. 9 years ago, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1973 Gulfstar 41 cruising Ketch that had been totaled after Katrina. I knew it was going to be a joint project that I hoped that we could enjoy together, but at the time I owned 25% of a Farr 36 and a Jeanneau Selection 37 for racing. With my wife's consent, I bought the Gulfstar 41 for her. It is still her boat. She loves it. She loved doing the exterior varnish work. Both of racing boats were sold, and we party with friends together. It is clearly not about the money. Money is important, but fun together is more important. The Galveston Bay and Clear Lake area are loaded with older yachts of all shapes and sizes, and plenty of open water and interesting harbors and anchorages to explore. Try talking to the Sea Scouts in Galveston to see if they have a donated boat that is worth considering. Stay with diesel power and drive shafts. Your wallet will thank you later. Use your local mariner's group to help find the right boat for both of you. I hope y'all have as much fun messin around with boats as my whole family has had for over 60 years.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:49   #18

For weekend cruising a planing power boat makes a lot of sense.

With a small sailboat at 5-6kts, you have about a 50mile range for a weekend trip and that's with a couple of 8-10hr days (and hope the weather doesn't trap you).

With a 25kt planing boat and 4hr cruise, you have a 100mile range and can get to more destinations.

Run the numbers and you will find fuel (even for a twin engine boat) is a small part of the overall cost.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:52   #19

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes, you can buy a planing boat and go at trawler speeds and get almost trawler fuel mileage.
I don't have the answer for this hence my dumb question. I had thought about this for my family and myself. I believe I read in an earlier thread this approach wasn't so good for the Diesel engines. Don't they need to run at a certain RPM to heat properly and avoid troubles down the road?

Or, can you do this and just "open em up" every 3 or 4 hours for about 15 or 20 minutes and be fine?
Old 29-06-2017, 09:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
We had an opportunity to buy a '78 Marine Trader 34 foot trawler. A friends father (aircraft mechanic) had completely rebuilt the engine and it runs like brand new. It needed some paint, and some deck work, and little cosmetic things, but my partner was adamant that he didn't want anything he had to work on. The sad part is that we could have bought that trawler for $18000 and only increased its value with sweat equity.
Wow, you should have jumped on this and paid someone to do the work. You would still be ahead of the game!

Is it still available? I'll go look at it for myself!
Old 29-06-2017, 09:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
Any boat that makes your partner happy
And keep in mind most compromises are not 50/50, to get a hesitant partner on board it may be 90/10 or even 95/5..!
Old 29-06-2017, 09:59   #22

Sounds to me like partner would benefit from a sailing course or two. Basic keelboat? There's a chance he might learn some patience and a love of sailing. But probably not.

For me one of the many benefits of sailing is to learn some patience, and live in the moment. Rather than trying to get somewhere ASAP, I try to enjoy where I am (and what I have).

This is easy to forget in today's western society, motivated as it is mainly by greed and the acquisition of more wealth.

In CS Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, one of the best techniques for a devil to tempt a human is to have him live never in the moment, always in the past or the future (and the future is the most effective, as it has the most possibilities).

I'm afraid that for me, the Searay is something of an embodiment of all the ills above.
Old 29-06-2017, 10:01   #23

A great solution, or "compromise" as you say.... would be something like a 30 ft Cabo twin diesel. But it aint cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5392096_20150922153934084_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	150901  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:08   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I don't have the answer for this hence my dumb question. I had thought about this for my family and myself. I believe I read in an earlier thread this approach wasn't so good for the Diesel engines. Don't they need to run at a certain RPM to heat properly and avoid troubles down the road?

Or, can you do this and just "open em up" every 3 or 4 hours for about 15 or 20 minutes and be fine?
As long as the engines get up to temp occasionally there is no problem. So on a 4hr run, yeah, get up on plane for the last few miles. You won't burn much fuel and the engines will be happy. You don't even need to do it every run.

The problems are associated with the days before cheap solar when cruisers would sit at anchor for weeks just starting the engines to charge the batteries. An hour or so a day with essentially no load and the engine does heat up and burn off any moisture leading to corrosion, cyclinder walls glaze up and eventually you have issues. Even at 8-10kts chugging along the engines will likely get up to temp.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:19   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My boating dreams are dying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
... and they are dying a slow, painful death.

We started out last year with an 18.5' open bow "Sunday" boat. We were the boat that would go around to all the marina's, pick up our liveaboard friends, and play on the water all weekend. Our little boat is still that way, but as liveaboard friends have moved back to land, or gone on their way cruising, we aren't getting her out much this season.

In November we joined a local mariners group who does local cruising and weekend ventures. We knew we wanted to try it out, and we bought a cheap starter sailboat, with a cozy cabin that we were working to make our own. We tried our first trip together a few weeks ago, and we pretty much fought the entire way. I'm the boater, my partner isn't. So when I do something, its followed by a thousand "why's" and other questions. Additionally, we are auto-pilotless, and electronics bare so everything has to be done by hand. Additionally, he doesn't like keeling over in the least. All of this has led to the listing, and hopefully selling of the sailboat.

I've determined that I like going slow, and I think a trawler would be best for my boating dreams. My partner on the other hand, has decided that there isn't any other boat in the world except for a power boat. He's wanting a Sea Ray Sundancer type boat. Some kind of 27-32 foot express cruiser type boat that takes ridiculous amounts of money to fuel, and has a range of basically around the block. He likes the idea that the front of the boat has a sleeping area, cooking area, head, and a/c, while the back of the boat is more comfortable to "play" on and you can walk right into the water. (which doesn't make sense because we dont get in the local water anyway, have you seen Galveston waters lately?)

So what kind of boat would make a happy medium? I dont even know what to look at or research anymore...
Keep the sailboat for you to play on.. and take your partner on these a couple three times a year..
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakauskas View Post
Pm me if you are interested in more details.
PM sent by ways of "Thanks" button.
Old 29-06-2017, 10:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
As long as the engines get up to temp occasionally there is no problem. So on a 4hr run, yeah, get up on plane for the last few miles. You won't burn much fuel and the engines will be happy. You don't even need to do it every run.
Thanks for the info, it clears up my doubts!
Old 29-06-2017, 11:05   #28

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Can you afford two boats? Or maybe look to cruise with op's. The Northwest is great this time of year. Come on up!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 11:09   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Sounds more like a relationship issue than a choice of boat issue.
Old 29-06-2017, 11:44   #30

Boat: Tartan 3000

Sailors and motor boaters have different dreams with little in common other than water.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating