Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2017, 14:47   #1

Boat: Catamaran 40
Mold

What's better to keep out the mold in a catamaran, western Caribbean? Ozone machine or Dehumidifier

Old 23-10-2017, 14:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENDO View Post
What's better to keep out the mold in a catamaran, western Caribbean? Ozone machine or Dehumidifier
From my reading and research a dehumidifier offfers some advantages. Hi ozone levels I have read can be damaging some materials in the boat and are toxic to people and pets.

I started running a dehumidifier in my ski boat in Florida and that has cut the mold down about 98%

Old 23-10-2017, 15:25   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Unless you like premature aging, a dehumidifier. If the boat is sealed, it can be pretty small, even a thermo-electric unit.

Remember that you do NOT ventilate if you are using a dehumidifier.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Both, I ran the airconditioner in dehumidify mode in Summer months and kept the boat interior cooler which is good for any adhesives and plastics and ran a dehumidifier in Winter months as a dehumidifier will add a surprising amount of heat to a boats interior.
Old 24-10-2017, 09:48   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Ventilation and Vinegar. hahahaha
ventilate and use vinegar to clean. changed pH so mold spores are made ineffective. clorox merely bleaches em without death.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 10:17   #6
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Both, I ran the airconditioner in dehumidify mode in Summer months and kept the boat interior cooler which is good for any adhesives and plastics and ran a dehumidifier in Winter months as a dehumidifier will add a surprising amount of heat to a boats interior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Ventilation and Vinegar. hahahaha
ventilate and use vinegar to clean. changed pH so mold spores are made ineffective. clorox merely bleaches em without death.
+1 on both of these comments.

Depending on your model of AC, you can usually program the dehumidifier mode. I set mine up to run twice per day for around 10mins, once at 10am and again at 4pm. Even on solar, I can get enough charge in to maintain the batteries without issue. IF you're on shore-power then you have no issue at all! Doing this is enough to circulate the air and for the coils to condense/remove the excess humidity in the air.

As Zee states, ensuring that your headliner and other surfaces are cleaned well prior to leaving the vessel (leaving with good ventilation) inhibits the amount of mold that can grow on the surfaces.

I had one tropical 'winter' when I had no power on the boat (rebuilding breaker panel), nor good circulation (had removed dorade vent assemblies to rejuvenate) - what I came back to would have made Louis Pasteur blush!
After alternating between vinegar and tea-tree oil (careful with that stuff) I had all of the mold removed.

I now routinely clean all surfaces and wipe-over with tea-tree oil as part of the November maintenance schedule, and I have no mold issues at all.
Old 24-10-2017, 10:26   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i also found steam cleaning is a biiiig help. nothing lives thru it when done properly. cheap and easy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 12:00   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

KENDO, I stored my boat on the hard in Miami from June through October. I had two opposing cowl vents and 2 solar vents. I left all my drawers/cabinets partially open and have a vented louver with a screen in my hatch boards. I have drilled/installed vents wherever possible in every accessible area of the boat. My bilge, although shallow, is always kept dry. I never had any mold and the temps were 80's/90's every day with high humidity and rain. Most people today rely on AC for their marina boats. Once cruising, you'll see the importance of good ventilation. Ventilation is the key for any boat. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 24-10-2017, 13:44   #9
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

We used this when we stored our catamaran in central Florida for the 5 months of summer. https://www.smsdistributors.com/prod...ew-musty-odors
Closed her up completely with no ventilation. When we got back there was absolutely no mold or mildew. It's a pretty common product for people that store their boats in humid areas.
Old 24-10-2017, 13:48   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

While vinegar and tea tree oil are effective on hard surface, what about carpet, cushions, and liners? I've had flooded basements and bought boats with horrific spotted carpet liners. This stuff with remove it in minutes (with a vac or extractor in severe cases--gotta pull the dirty water out) and keep it from coming back.

(item 50)
https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/08/best-100-chapter-8.html

The combination of borax and pH are lethal to mildew, initially, and in the future. Do NOT increase the concentration--you want just the correct residual.

As for vinegar on fabrics (sorry about this), it will only make the mildew comeback worse than before. (a) mildew likes slightly acid conditions (you can Google this--molds produce acid), (b) vinegar is mildew food, and (c), I've tested this in both lab and field conditions. If the mildew did not come back, it was coincidental. Hard surfaces are different, because the vinegar will kill the mildew and the acetic acid will evaporate before the pests can come back. Any one who is curious can do some side-by-side tests with fabric and a damp location. Go for it.

I've tested many cleaners side by side on fabrics, including vinegar, tea tree oil, and everything from the store for articles, and Formula B outperforms all comers for removal and prevention. For pennies.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: