Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 11:26   #1

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Moderators: Please delete the thread "Tender theft..."

Mods

The thread "Tender Theft, what would you do?" describes a story about a tender theft in Two Harbors, Catalina. You rightly closed the thread after over 100 posts when it became clear that the original story was a fabrication. The problem is that one only discovers this after reading most of the thread. I wasted a half hour reading this useless thread. Many people who stop reading after post 70 or so woud come away thinking the post was true. I almost forwarded it to a friend who has a boat at Two Harbors.

Therefore, I recommend deleting the entire thread to prevent the myth from perpetuating and to save CF members the grief of reading a useless thread.

Thanks, and by the way, I think the Mods do a great job!
Jerry
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 12:08   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Moderators: Please delete the thread "Tender theft..."

I must confess that I have only just read the end of the thread - and did not realise it was closed.

To be honest I don't see whether it matters or not if the original story was a total fabrication, full of half truths / rumour or completely true - in any event wasn't so much about a specific location.

.....and to be blunt, I don't see that it is "clear that the original was a fabrication" - certainly someone who I have never met says that someone else I have never met made the story up. With the proof being that it was repeated elsewhere - and an (alledged) call made to the local harbour authorities, which even if it happened may or may not have provided a true account - whether from out right lying (to protect the reputation of the locale and / or those charged with providing some security) or simply that the person who was spoken to did not recognise the incident or was clueless (with Gubberment employees it happens!).

I am quite happy to suspend belief on the incident either way - as I do with most other things on the internet anyway, including CF! - but nonetheless the discussions and tales told around an "Incident" (real, imagined - or coloured by the writer's viewpoint) are of interest.

Although I will quibble with the thread being closed - not enough to care! (in any event had pretty much dribbled away by the end, and long before that moved into hang 'em and flog 'em territory ).......I certainly don't see it merits a thread deletion .

And for those that beleive everything they read on the internet, then all I can say is good luck with that approach .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 12:56   #3

Question Re: Moderators: Please delete the thread "Tender theft..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
To be honest I don't see whether it matters or not if the original story was a total fabrication, full of half truths / rumour or completely true - in any event wasn't so much about a specific location.
Well, I read CF for factual, usable information. It may not matter to you whether the posts you read are true or not, but it matters to me. It also mattered to to those posting in the thread, to the extent that they ultimately called the OPs story into question. You are right that they did not prove it was a fabrication, but it was enough for the mods to close the thread. And it was about a specific location. I will be sailing to Two Harbors next month, and was about to forward this story to my brother and the owner of the sailboat. I probably would have also repeated the story to others in conversation. This is how urban myths propagate, and I hate urban myths.

But perhaps you are right that deleting thread may be too extreme, and I am certainly not in favor of censorship. How about a moderators note at the beginning that this story has been called into question? That way people could read the thread if they like, but wouldn't have to read all the way to the end to find out, and would be less likely to repeat the story as true.
Old 17-05-2012, 13:18   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Jerry,

Deleting a thread is considered a pretty extreme action by the mods, and is normally reserved for threads containing serious infractions of the CF Community Rules. Telling tall tales might not be the best practice, but it doesn't violate the rules, so I'm guessing it'll stay in view.

*note--I'm not an active moderator any longer, so this is just my personal opinion.
Old 17-05-2012, 13:50   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Well, I read CF for factual, usable information. It may not matter to you whether the posts you read are true or not, but it matters to me. It also mattered to to those posting in the thread, to the extent that they ultimately called the OPs story into question. You are right that they did not prove it was a fabrication, but it was enough for the mods to close the thread. And it was about a specific location. I will be sailing to Two Harbors next month, and was about to forward this story to my brother and the owner of the sailboat. I probably would have also repeated the story to others in conversation. This is how urban myths propagate, and I hate urban myths.

But perhaps you are right that deleting thread may be too extreme, and I am certainly not in favor of censorship. How about a moderators note at the beginning that this story has been called into question? That way people could read the thread if they like, but wouldn't have to read all the way to the end to find out, and would be less likely to repeat the story as true.

I looked for the thread and couldn't find it. It sounds like a "he said, she said" thing. I don't think a thread should be squashed because one poster doesn't like urban myths. It's easy enough to identify urban myths.

I agree with the poster who said not everything on the internet will be true. That's a fact.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:58   #6

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I couldn't see how posing the same story in two places made it false. I've written the same thing here and on our blog a couple times and it appearing in two places left it exactly as true or false as it was when it was posted only in one.
Old 17-05-2012, 14:03   #7

Boat: private yacht always moving

I agree with the poster who said not everything on the internet will be true. That's a fact.

R U telling me that the Monster of Montauk is not true????? I read it on the internet yesterday along with the 9 foot lizard man along with the underground tunnels that go around the earth
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:05   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I can't see what the deal is. The teller of the story asked a simple question if I remember correctly "What would you have done" or "Would you have done the same". I read it as a morality tale to get peoples reactions. I assumed it was a graduate student somewhere working on getting peoples reactions to morally questionable issues. It brought out good discussion and showed a side of CF that doesn't always show. I can't see why it being true or made up makes any difference to the question of how each of us would have handle the situation.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 15:01   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post

R U telling me that the Monster of Montauk is not true????? I read it on the internet yesterday along with the 9 foot lizard man along with the underground tunnels that go around the earth

Oh the Monster of Montauk is true. Really! But it's in Minnesota. That's what has caused all the confusion!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 15:01   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

These kind of threads just remind me to keep the dink locked up and secure no matter where Im at !! and thats the only reaction I ever have to one like the thread mentioned! Whats the big deal ???? just sayin relax a little and go sailin and don't sweat the small stuff !!
Old 17-05-2012, 15:04   #11

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Oh the Monster of Montauk is true. Really! But it's in Minnesota. That's what has caused all the confusion!

My mistake,,, My Ex-mother-In-Law lives in Minnesota,,,,thats what I was reading just had the wrong state
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 15:46   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I must confess that I have only just read the end of the thread -

I am quite happy to suspend belief on the incident either way - as I do with most other things on the internet anyway, including CF! -

And for those that beleive everything they read on the internet, then all I can say is good luck with that approach .
Edited to the key points!

Sinner take back your discourteous crazy talk about the all powerful internet! Hey is this how you got quoted in that sailing magazine?
Old 17-05-2012, 16:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sounds like crying over spilt milk to me.......what ever happened to our two war heroes who liberated the dinghy
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 17:12   #14

moderators: please establish a "fiction" category.... badly needed throughout the forum... :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 17:44   #15

OK, OK, I admit, I posted prematurely, having read the whole thread only to find out it MAY be bogus. I guess the jury's still out on that one.

I HEREBY OFFICIALLY RETRACT THIS THREAD.

As Gilda Radner used to say "Never Mind"