Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25   #1

Mission Completed !

I'm back home in Alpine, Tx. Wren (a 20' Flicka) did a great job with her gaff cutter rig sails and 10hp Yanmar. A 90 day motor-sail from Middle River Maryland (where I purchased her) came to it's successful and safe conclusion September 28 at the City Marina in Rockport, Texas where she is now in slip #6 500 miles from here. This trip was an experience of a lifetime, my bucket list item #2 at age 72 single handing her down 95% of the ICW. The most memorable experience of the trip that money could never buy happend in the marsh land of Georgia, after a 12 hr. day in the grueling sun. I was feeling my way into a gunk hole anchorage using Skipper Bob's guide book, when that awful thunk in my feet and the transducer announced 3.3' "you are aground" suck-stuck in the mud!
I was working the tiller rapidly back and forth trying to work the bow off when I was distracted by a great commotion around the stern and spouting noises. When I looked over the sides there were six large dolphin with their bodys hugging Wren's sides working their tails back and forth as they pushed her off into deeper water, WOW! And then they dissapeared.
Mission completed: close to $1,000.00 worth of charts and guide books, a new Garmin 441 GPS with transducer added before my trip and new bottom paint also before the trip. I am offering Wren for sale with these additions to the next person who wishes to experience the adventure of a lifetime motor sailing her the other direction.
Wren is a 1974 Flicka, Built by Ryan Marine boat yard.
She is a Gaff, cutter rig pocket cruser with 6.3' head room.
She has a profesionally constructed ferrocement hull with a 37 year proven history of her soundness as well as the +/-3900 mile motor sail that she just completed.
FERROCEMENT CONSTRUCTION HAS BEEN GIVEN A BAD RAP , BECAUSE OF AMATURE MISTAKES IN OTHER BOATS,SO THAT IS WHY I WAS ABLE TO PURCHASE HER FOR A FRACTION OF THE VALUE OF A FLICKA MAKING MY DREAM POSSIBLE.
She is offered to the next person the same way. So please pass on the info and my contact info as well to anyone you might know that would be interested in her.
More later,
Kevin

432-386-8949 cell
432-364-2462 house
kevin@bigbend.net
ferro wren is offline   Reply With Quote