Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 12:14   #1

Boat: Bristol 31.1
Met Some Cruisers !

Running a couple of errands took me very close to where there are several boat yards and the local yacht club. I decided to stop in and check rates for slips and moorings (for my imaginary boat!), see if they had anything for sale, etc. After making inquiries in the office, I wandered out to look at boats on the hard. Right outside, a guy was putting bottom paint on a big keelboat. I called over to the woman who was also there and asked if this was their boat and asked what it was. (Wasn't sure whether they were owners or marina personnel.) She told me it was a Tayana 52. When I asked if she was from here, Staten Island, she said "no, Australia." I said, "you're cruising!" We had a nice chat in which I told her my plans for getting a cruiser and getting out there. Turned out they'd had to fly home unexpectedly and had left the boat here in NYC. They're headed up the coast and eventually to Montreal. I asked her whether they were circumnavigating (since I'd just read a thread about that here) and she said they were just meandering. Still, that's a pretty good meander from Oz! Stupidly, I didn't ask the name of the boat.

Anyway, I thought it was an auspicious sign as I take the first steps toward my goal.

I'm wondering if I should go back there tomorrow and see if they would like someone to crew as they go up the coast!?
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24   #2

Re: met some cruisers!

My guess is they probably like having their boat to themselves. But stop by and give them a card and let them know if they meet anyone who needs crew to give you a call.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:29   #3

Boat: Bristol 31.1

Yes, Hannah, I suspect as much.

Nevertheless, still a good idea to make a contact. One never knows, do one?!
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 13:15   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Could ask if they need some local knowledge or would like a lift some where.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 14:01   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, offering overseas cruisers transportation or showers or laundry access or whatever is a very good way to get into the cruising community network. Doesn't cost you much, helps them a lot, and you get to meet some nice folks who might share some useful knowledge with you. And then when you get out cruising, you will find that what goes around comes around (or however that goes), and you will find out just how helpful that sort of generosity is to the cruiser.

Give it a try...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-07-2011, 18:31   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW, offering overseas cruisers transportation or showers or laundry access or whatever is a very good way to get into the cruising community network. Doesn't cost you much, helps them a lot, and you get to meet some nice folks who might share some useful knowledge with you. And then when you get out cruising, you will find that what goes around comes around (or however that goes), and you will find out just how helpful that sort of generosity is to the cruiser.

Give it a try...

Cheers,

Jim
James S is offline   Reply With Quote