Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-12-2014, 06:49   #136
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Medical Insurance & Costs

That's great info Chuck and I hope the surgery and recovery goes well. Due to the Medical Industrial Complex in the USA, Americans are conditioned to believe that you must have health insurance, which is Not health care. And considering that the No1 cause of filing for bankrupsys is medical bills, that damn well could be true....but....

Think outside the box. Once you are out of the USA and the System, medical care is affordable. Chucks shoulder surgery in the USA could be a financial death sentence....but outside the you really need insurance for that? I say no....but then that's what insurance is...a bet...a gamble, it was never intended to be the health care product.

The one good (or bad depending on point of view) thing I am seeing with Obamacare is that with the high deductables people have they are canceling office visits when they find out they have a big deducable that they first have to pay out of pocket before the insurance will pay a dime. This is what we need....people need to see the cost of care for it to have a chance of changing. They have catastrophic and in my opinion that is all they really need, but when they find out their real right now out of pocket costs of a visit, they are putting the clipboard on the counter and walking out of the office. Some can call that rationing or cruel....but in reality it is people waking up to what things really cost...then there is a chance for real "change" not just writing the already broken system into mandated law.
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 07:28   #137

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

part of the problem, as we see it, and i have had surgery in trindad (plastic surgery to replace 1/2 my nose when a growth was removed) and now in tunisia. the admiral had hand surgery in colombia are the test required.

in each case they did not put us through a battery of test such as chest xrays, ekgs as our age is old, blood work, urinalysis and what ever else the doctors think they need. the reason of course is to keep the lawyers at bay. of course you have to honest with the doc if you have a problem and not look to collecting big $$$ if you lie or something goes wrong. here they fix it asap if that happens but you also have to take responsibility for yourself and as i am doing now - be careful and do to much that may create problems for which in the usa you can sue.

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
underway in the Black Sea
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 14:14   #138

Boat: Looking to buy a catamaran, approximately 40 ft

Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I was interested in the opening question, but this being a US centric forum I guess it had to drift as it did.

I do have a question though - how on earth did the US end up with a system whereby the cost of health care lies with an employer?? That seems incredibly screwed up to me. Does any other country have such nonsense?
(Disclaimer - I'm from NZ , see earlier post )
After WW2, employers were trying to attract workers and still keep wages down. They worked out a deal with the gov't that they could pay for worker's healthcare, and subtract that from company profit. So, in effect, the US gov't subsidizes the company's healthcare payments by what the tax would have been on that amount. If instead, the company had paid the employee the cost of the healthcare, it would have been taxable income.

Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote

cal, insurance, medical

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: