Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-01-2016, 08:54   #16

Boat: ODAY 28
Re: MacGregor 25 Buing Advice?

all good advice so far, why not take a look at all the boats in your posts and the make up your mind on which boat is best suited for your needs, and what it would cost for each to get in good sailing order, Good Luck

boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:01   #17

All hobbies cost money. Budget $100/mnth for OWNERSHIP costs. Operation extra.

For a boat you pay three grand for, if you own it for three years, as it appears you'd be doing, there would be a "surplus" of $600 to apply towards the cost of having something like a McGregor euthanized and decently buried when you move on to a real boat.

The $3,600 would be what accountants call "sunk costs" - let us plebes just call it the cost of having a hobby.

Once you are into real boats, these considerations become a little more complex cos bigger bux are involved.

From what little I've seen of 'em, almost anything would be preferable to a McGregor, but what are you gonna do if you need a swing-keeler so you can keep the boat on a trailer in your backyard rather than pay moorage?

TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

MacGregor 25's and Catalina 22's are both exceptional boats. Both have been inducted into the Sailboat Hall of Fame started by Sail America in 1994. There are only 25 boats that have been given that award, although one could quibble that advertising dollars may have influenced the selection. Notice the company they keep: Cal 40, Bermuda 40, Hobie 16, Sunfish etc...

These ARE real boats that have had a substantial impact on sailing.

There were over 38,000 MacGregors produced before the company ceased production.

About 16,000 C22's have been made and production of 25 to 50 per year continues. A new Sport model is about $22K last time I checked.

Sometimes an owner will sell one of these for $1000 just because they don't want to be bothered with buying a new sail ($900 to $1200 for a C22) or replacing bottom paint. OTOH, there is a fellow on the C22 forum that has put $30,000 into his C22. I am in the process of trading my project boat Cal 27 (a complete wreck that I got for the price of the outboard and winches it carried) for a fairly nice 1984 C22 swing keel (which is the preferred original design) that just needs bottom paint and fixing a jammed roller furler. It comes with a decent trailer and now I won't have to worry about what to do with two in-water boats when the next hurricane comes.

The C22 is a delight to sail, easy to trailer, inexpensive to maintain and has timeless looks.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:39   #19

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Worked for Macgregor Yacht in the 70's. Built a ton of 25's, 22's and catamarans. They were built to be entry level and not ocean going, ( except the 65'). There are a ton of 25's in my marina and the go to Catalina island 30 miles away all summer long. There are no tanks so no worry there. Check the chain plates for cracks, rudder gudgeons and pintles. Make sure the crank up keel is working and not crashed. Straight boom , goose neck, spreaders and look for loose rivets. Look at the mast step and look for pressure cracks. Check your standing rigging with leather gloves looking for broken wires ( fish hooks). A grand is really cheap and with a trailer even more so. Much lighter to trailer than a Catalina 22 and a lot more room. See if it has the vinyl dodger that goes around the pop up cabin top.
I know a guy who travels from camp site to camp site pulling one with a Toyota tundra. He uses it like one would a camp trailer and when he gets to a water way he pops it in and sails around or fishes. Nice life.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:43   #20

Boat: Catalina 22' "Grace"

I also have had both a Mac 25 and a Catalina 22. I M O the Catalina is the best choice. It is the better built boat and much more versatile as to where and when you can sail her. It is an excellent choice to a novice to learn how to sail and how to own and maintain a sail boat. C 22 are very popular and lots of them are out there sailing. the Mac 25 not so many have lasted as long. There is a strong base of C22 sailors, check these out: C22 owners forum - Catalina 22 | Forums
C22 national association-
C22 manufacturer parts dealer - Catalina Direct: Catalina 22
A mac 25 is an obsolete model that I M O not so good to start with.
C22 can be had for $1000 there are 3 - 4 on ebay right now several for under $500
Get a C22 you'll be glad you did. ( I have no profit interest, just my experience)
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:46   #21

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

I have a Mac and it's a kick for day sailing San Francisco Bay. Does just fine. It's not competing with a million dollar luxury Yatch. But for that price plug the leaks, be careful and have fun.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:27   #22

Boat: Don't have one. Yet.

Originally Posted by jmczzz View Post
Get a C22 you'll be glad you did.
That's what I'm leaning towards now. From the sound of it, there's a lot more criticism of the Mac than not. The C22 sounds like a better bet if I can find one I can afford that doesn't need too much work.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

ninefoldrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: