Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I don't know Boatie, the reality may be a different from what I thought it would be, but for me it still beats the other reality. Officialdom is definitely part of cruising life but it's still alot less than the crap I've dealt with back in Oz. Most of us need something to look forward to, and cruising gives me that, where to next? There were times last year when I was sailing towards smoking volcanoes, had canoes tied to the side of my boat, dolphins at the bow,diving with Manta rays , and went swimming in the middle of the ocean with a beautiful girl on perfectly calm day in the middle of absolutely no where .......I'd say that's living the dream .
Yes retired but only 47 and not fat yet!😁

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Agreed.. all this is still possible.. but its not the Dream so many have when in their office chairs.. the life off the Evan's, Mottessier, and the others who wrote of their travels and adventures so eagerly read and fantasised over..
If it was we would not have so many here bitching all the time..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:13   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Living the Dream

The only difference between people doing stuff and people not doing stuff is the doing.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:15   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

The dream and reality can and are different but that's ok . I'll give you an example , you posted a picture of a Tiki 46 in the sexy catamaran thread, it's in there with million dollar + boats yet I went and looked at it twice and thought how cool it was. So what's my point? My point is that James Wharram sold me a dream 10 years ago in is plan book and when I look at that Wharram I still see Polynesian girls and coconut trees, and that dreams still there! Sometimes it's best not to let reality get in the way. ..lol.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:18   #20

With two high school boys, I am not at a point of being able to sell the house and pursue my dreams. However my wife and I are able to do one or two bareboat charters a year and as such I tend to read a lot on some of the other forums about chartering. I have always found it interesting that most of the questions and topics on those forums are about air conditioning, wireless internet on the boat, phone usage in the charter area and the best restaurant. I know its about chartering but I find it crazy that people can't get on a boat for a week and not stay "connected" and pampered.

That is one of the things that the wife and I love about chartering. We like being "disconnected" for a while and unwind from everything the world has become. We enjoy sitting on the boat in the evening cooking for ourselves and relaxing. Now I know if and when we get to do this full time, we will be using the internet. It's a great tool and at a very reasonable cost to stay in touch.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:23   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
. today is just a succession of layered officialdom that presses more and more everyday.. everywhere you go.
Oh, what crap!

More countries are reducing the red tape.

EU is chaning Shengen so cruisers can stay 1 year.

Entry into French islands takes 2 minutes costs $7. Most of the Caribbean is walk in, stamp, walk out. Even the USA is easy: get your B1/B2 and a red carpet ride where in most ports they come and see you instead of u traipsing around some unknown city.

Yes, some fees have skyrocketed (Bahamas, Galapagos etc), but most places are pretty cheap for what you get.

I think cruising is in its Golden Age. There's lots to see and do economically and only 10% of the world only a loony would go to.
Lets hope it stays good and gets even better.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:29   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The only difference between people doing stuff and people not doing stuff is the doing.

Ummmmmmm I don't want to be the English teacher here, but, read your sentence back. The difference was "not".

BTW TV watching is not doing stuff. Never, ever get a TV on a cruising boat. I haven't watched tv for 8 years and I wouldn't know a Kardashian if I tripped face first into her enhanced boob.
I think I am better for it
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:48   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh, what crap!

More countries are reducing the red tape.

EU is chaning Shengen so cruisers can stay 1 year.

Entry into French islands takes 2 minutes costs $7. Most of the Caribbean is walk in, stamp, walk out. Even the USA is easy: get your B1/B2 and a red carpet ride where in most ports they come and see you instead of u traipsing around some unknown city.

Yes, some fees have skyrocketed (Bahamas, Galapagos etc), but most places are pretty cheap for what you get.

I think cruising is in its Golden Age. There's lots to see and do economically and only 10% of the world only a loony would go to.
Lets hope it stays good and gets even better.

Mark
Okay Mark..
See you in the Med after your 2+yrs away..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 11-03-2016, 04:50   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

People just like to complain. So a bitching sailor is a happy sailor in search of a cause.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:57   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
People just like to complain. So a bitching sailor is a happy sailor in search of a cause.
I guess that's true.. explains all these tales of bribery, blackmail and extortion in so many places..
Never come across it myself but.. its on the internet so it must be true.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:47   #26

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

This is not limited to boat people. I've lived in a few "retirement/vacation" spots, when I could work remotely. These poor saps work 30 years in a cubicle with a picture of some tropical island on their wall. Visit for 2 weeks a year. Then they retire to that location and go crazy. You can only sit on the beach watching sunsets for so long before you have to deal with the free time / lack of structure. Some people snap and become grouchy old men (oy vey the drama in these retirement communities) or move back to society and lose themselves back into the routine.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:57   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

so many think they need a boat and a new location to FIND happiness they donot realize is inside them and has been all the time. they havent a clue as to the cause of happy-- it is inside us.
folks think they can leave their grouchy selves behind, but then find out that grouchy self is them and oops i guess it hurts, because so many folks here in happyville aint happy.
i walk around with a smile and find i am badmouthed by the expatriated grouches who think i am crazy.. lol i only say have a good day to everyone i meet, and smile as i walk thru town. life rocks. the locals love me, and smile before i get there...
i am soo glad i am me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:16   #28

Boat: O'Day 28

Her' com da gringa loca ... esmile
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:59   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Many of the sailors and cruisers we have met over the years seem to be all-around adventurers and have a lot of gusto for life in general. They weren't sitting on the couch evenings and weekends for 40 years and then just decided to sail off into the sunset. Generally it is something they worked toward, usually while enjoying local sailing and cruising as well as other types of adventurous activities along the way, and the idea to go cruising was to take that love of sailing and thirst for adventure to the next level, not something they were running from.
Nancie and I would stand with Becky and the "oldragbaggers" with this. We are not living the dream. We are living our reality! I would agree that most the other cruisers we have encountered were active adventurous people before they took on the cruising life.

I would add that, before retirement, I had daily interaction with far more people and I'm drawn to the internet and the Cruisers Forum specifically because it allows me retain a greater community.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:12   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
This is not limited to boat people. I've lived in a few "retirement/vacation" spots, when I could work remotely. These poor saps work 30 years in a cubicle with a picture of some tropical island on their wall. Visit for 2 weeks a year. Then they retire to that location and go crazy. You can only sit on the beach watching sunsets for so long before you have to deal with the free time / lack of structure. Some people snap and become grouchy old men (oy vey the drama in these retirement communities) or move back to society and lose themselves back into the routine.
Whenever my grandkids would whine that they were bored my daughter used to tell them, "only boring people get bored." I think that is truly the long and the short of it.