Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 05:19   #61

Boat: Mao Ta 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi
G'day, mate +1. To your question, here "it's living within our means". You have touched upon a much broader aspect of "true price discovery" in outlining your recent situation. With all the "money printing" that has taken place across the globe in recent years, finding true price discovery is becoming extremely difficult, whether it's quoting labor rates or trying to sell a boat. In my view it is only going to get worse. Odds are that you will be one of the who manages to "survive" in being willing to negotiate your standard rates. Good on you. All the best. Cheers. P.S. Is your offer to exchange teak work for sail repair work available to others? Our work standard follows.
What kind of varnish are you using? I'm using epifanes with extra uv and it comes out very dark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-86013936.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	39219
Sovereigndreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 06:10   #62

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Living on the Cheep or Just a Cheep SOB

Well, I think the cost offered is more than fair. As far as being a poor cruiser, the guy was offered a great deal. I was at one time broke and homeless. When I got some money and a bit of retirement I bought a sailboat and started cruising on a very limited budget. I learned how to fix things by spending very little money. When I needed something I could not afford many times I worked out a payment and/or work it off plan.

Now that I have a healthy income and can afford to cruise and enjoy life more than before I still find that the rising costs are starting to catch up and eat more of my income and I don't think things will be getting better in the future for most of us.

The sail maker can not run and support his business by charging rates that do not support his overhead and operational cost. He gave the guy needing sails repaired a great barter deal that any sane person normally would have taken. The guy with sails was just a jerk and most likely the type that would not be any better living on land than on the water. Jerks like him make harder for decent people with little income to get by because after an encounter with the likes of him the sail maker will most likely not be as eager to offer discounts or barter for work again with anyone.

Ray
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote