Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 16:26   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose

i am living aboard every year for three months since i bought crabber 7 years ago. every juny, july and august. i start from dubrovnik to cavtat and then up north towards trieste, visiting island by island, then sometimes i cross to the italy around kornati islands then down italian coast to bari crossing to dubrovnik and that is it. even when i am in dubrovnik i still live on boat even i am moored 100 yards from my balkony.i have too. because my mother living in the house there, she is 82 and she anoying me. she is spying on me all the time. i can not bring any girl in the house. she always teling me that she does not wont "whores" in her house. i have to bring girl thry my garden then climb window bedroom to enter. and i am 56yr. old men. can you imagine that.
If its her house then its her rules, I guess.

Take your chicks to the boat...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 17:01   #47

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Living on the Cheep or Just a Cheep SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If its her house then its her rules, I guess.

Take your chicks to the boat...

Not that it makes any difference.........

Quote:
.....100 yards from my balkony.i have too. because my mother living in the house there....
Not clear to me.

But why did the guy go to a loft to start with. Did he think if he complained it would be done for free? I dunno.
Old 27-03-2012, 17:11   #48

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not that it makes any difference.........

But why did the guy go to a loft to start with. Did he think if he complained it would be done for free? I dunno.

That's a good question.

I live on the cheap and am a qualified cheapass, but I would never walk into a business and expect someone to give me a discount just because I don't have the money for the service. I'd simply either do the work myself, or not do the work at all until I had the money to pay for it.

Sounds like the guy was just an A-Hole and nothing can be done about that. A-holism is on the rise everywhere, but I don't think it has anythign to do with people who live on the cheap...
Old 27-03-2012, 17:19   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yep ahole ness is like stupidity, a terminal illness!! never go's away till death happens ! Ya can't get to bent out of shape over it or yall will be end up being mad all the time !! because theres no end of stupid ******* folks out there !! I would rather just ignore them as best I can cus I would rather go thru life smilin then with a big frown on my mug all the time !! Just my 2 cents
Old 27-03-2012, 17:26   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Yep ahole ness is like stupidity, a terminal illness!! never go's away till death happens ! Ya can't get to bent out of shape over it or yall will be end up being mad all the time !! because theres no end of stupid ******* folks out there !! I would rather just ignore them as best I can cus I would rather go thru life smilin then with a big frown on my mug all the time !! Just my 2 cents
Just did a trip to the Malaysia Formula 1. Hired a local taxi driver for three days. For three days he was johnny on the spot, picking us up and dropping us off exactly on time. On race day getting out was a zoo, like a bloodhound he tracked us down as he could not park where we arranged to meet and led us to the car and we beat the notorious Sepang trraffic jam.

I found out that he got a small wage and 10% of the fare. Averaging like 10 ringgit per trip or $3.30 usd

On the last ride we chipped in and gave him 100 ringgit. For us it was 10 us bucks each, for him it was 4X what he made in 3 days.

Sometimes when you have you should give...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 17:39   #51

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas

An often quoted saying; invented by some customer who was never right but always believed he was!
I disagree....the consumer is king in a free market. The problem is the majority all have forgotten that.

I am not saying that people are charging to much (pick your market). The consumer can/should shop around a find the best value or don't buy the item or service. This is how markets stay stable.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 17:44   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Not clear to me.
.....100 yards from my balkony.i have too. because my mother living in the house there....
my house is 100 yards from the sea. but when i am there (dubrovnik) i am living on the boat (most of the time) which is moored 100 yards (only for the locals) from my house. of course i am going in the house,but not spending lot of a time. mother does not like when i am bringing girls, she complaining all time. how i am "old", they can be my daughters, that i am embarasing her with neigburs,and so on. you know that old mediteranean woman. they can be real pain in the ass.
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 17:52   #53

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
my house is 100 yards from the sea. but when i am there (dubrovnik) i am living on the boat (most of the time) which is moored 100 yards (only for the locals) from my house. of course i am going in the house,but not spending lot of a time. mother does not like when i am bringing girls, she complaining all time. how i am "old", they can be my daughters, that i am embarasing her with neigburs,and so on. you know that old mediteranean woman. they can be real pain in the ass.

I figured it was your house.

I don't know about old Mediteranean women but I think most are all pretty much the same.

You dirty old man you.
Old 27-03-2012, 17:57   #54

Boat: Seaward 22

A good place to be thrifty = dollar store. $1 for 4 toothbrushes today....not something I want to recycle or buy used.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 18:10   #55

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Just don't buy any personal hygiene items from the dollar store,,like toothpaste,,i have heard some pretty scary things about what are the ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
A good place to be thrifty = dollar store. $1 for 4 toothbrushes today....not something I want to recycle or buy used.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 18:12   #56

On "time for time", I've been thinking for a while that my usual ~6 pack of beer for "taking a look" at friends computers and clean off viruses, malware and other nasty stuff could be better translated into "I clean your computer, you clean my bathroom". But then again, I only do it for friends/family and people I like to hang out with.

If on the other hand I could get sail repair/mechanical etc help in exchange, I would definitely jump on it!
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 18:23   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I agree 100% with the OP. We have several liveaboard/cruisers at our marina who no matter what the marina charges it's too much. It's a rural marina and very cheap but do they go anywhere else ... no! They just hang around and bitch. They assume because the owner can afford to take off a couple months in the winter and take his 25 year old Marine Trawler to Marathon that he's filthy rich and ripping them off. Of course they ignore the fact his house is 40 years old, paid for I'm sure and in bad need of repairs, and his cars are almost as old and in disrepair. And you hear the same about the local marine service guys ... always a rip-off, too expensive ... and you can tell the guys are just getting by.

Sorry, rant over.
Old 27-03-2012, 19:43   #58

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

As a business person it's a good idea to know exactly who your customer is. Is he the guy who always wants the cheapest price? If so, you won't make any money and he still won't be happy, or is it the guy who speaks politely to you and is well dressed and doesn't even ask what it will cost. They usually shop at different places. You may as well make sure that your business appeals to the guy with deep pockets (i.e. well presented shop and a helpful attitude) or you'll never make any money anyway.
Old 27-03-2012, 20:36   #59

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate +1. To your question, here "it's living within our means". You have touched upon a much broader aspect of "true price discovery" in outlining your recent situation. With all the "money printing" that has taken place across the globe in recent years, finding true price discovery is becoming extremely difficult, whether it's quoting labor rates or trying to sell a boat. In my view it is only going to get worse. Odds are that you will be one of the who manages to "survive" in being willing to negotiate your standard rates. Good on you. All the best. Cheers. P.S. Is your offer to exchange teak work for sail repair work available to others? Our work standard follows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Varnish.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	39216  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 20:47   #60

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHHH I like a man that can lay Varnish !! if it don't reflect it aint right !! Sweet work !makes ya know a man loves his boat !! and is proud of his work !!