Re: Lightning???

here is an interesting read on the topic

SGEB-17/SG071: Lightning & Sailboats

Old 30-12-2013, 20:48   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There are a number of threads on the subject here on CF. Use the Google Custom Search facility and enjoy the read. It seems that there is really no way to circumvent the damage to electronics and thankfully not all hulls are damaged.

Old 30-12-2013, 21:15   #18

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We sailed a Heritage One-Ton on Lake Erie in a pickce lightnig storm. There were hundreds of water strikes off Cleveland and rain so heavy we could not see the stadium lights. We were not struck once but watched in awe. Our present boat was struck on the hard two years ago a week after haul-out. We have a lightning arrestor but the boat out of water was not grounded. Instruments were still aboard. It blew the Raymarine wind instrument stalk apart and the wind instrument display/computer is tempermental. I raced a CAL 40 on Lake Huron 35 years ago that was struck in its slip. Through hull on the depth melted and the boat sunk. We had the only graphite bottom in the marina.

If you see an electric storm, disconnect what you can especially antennas. Place any demountable or hand held electronics in the oven or microwave. (Faraday cage). coolest video demonstrating the effectiveness of the cage.

Most of the time your boat will not be struck. If it is hit, it is unusual to be holed or for people to be injured. If you are hit, check your bilge pump; look for water; inspect your electric panel for abnormalities; check your batteries visually. Check your other critical stuff before you need to use it (windlass, starter, etc.). Keep proper fitting wood plugs tied or stored at each through hull port. Stay away from touching the mast or rigging or other metal bits if possible.
Old 30-12-2013, 21:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
...a pickce lightnig storm.
What is this? Should I account this to prescriptive text or non-existent proof reading?

I say iphone and others have become the bane of language.
Old 30-12-2013, 21:35   #20

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Lightning is unpredictable, as is its damage:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightning strike 007.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	73044  
Old 30-12-2013, 21:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Most of the time your boat will not be struck. If it is hit, it is unusual to be holed or for people to be injured. If you are hit, check your bilge pump; look for water; inspect your electric panel for abnormalities; check your batteries visually. Check your other critical stuff before you need to use it (windlass, starter, etc.). Keep proper fitting wood plugs tied or stored at each through hull port. Stay away from touching the mast or rigging or other metal bits if possible.
Yeah, good luck putting your laptop into a microwave and in time. I have heard of people blown down on deck because of a discharge. My own wife had the zipper on her jeans fused shut because of a discharge (November 2007 Pine Barrens, New Jersey).

I'm officially taking y'all to task to describe what to do during or to prepare for encounter with high potential for electrical discharge. Lightning discharges which involve damaging effects may be rare for a particular vessel but they are more common then any other atmospheric condition.
Old 30-12-2013, 21:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Lightning is unpredictable, as is its damage:
Were you taking on water? If so, how much, approximately? That looks to be the size of a sea cock.
Old 30-12-2013, 21:46   #23

It scares the crap out of me. But other than grounding there's not much you can do about it. Lightning will do whatever it wants. Stainless whips melt at around 4,000F. Note that the PL259 connector went missing (unscrewed) even though it had been tight and taped. The other damage around the boat was minor (and random) though most of the electronics were toast.

Old 30-12-2013, 21:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
snip
My own wife had the zipper on her jeans fused shut because of a discharge (November 2007 Pine Barrens, New Jersey).
OK I know I should just let it go but I'm having trouble with this thought
Old 30-12-2013, 21:55   #25

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:

I'm officially taking y'all to task to describe what to do during or to prepare for encounter with high potential for electrical discharge. Lightning discharges which involve damaging effects may be rare for a particular vessel but they are more common then any other atmospheric condition.
Here's one of the many threads on this forum about this subject
Old 30-12-2013, 21:58   #26

Quote:
Were you taking on water? If so, how much, approximately? That looks to be the size of a sea cock.
Thankfully, the boat was on the hard when struck.

Had it been in the water, an 1-1/2 " dia. hole, 4-1/2 ' below the waterline probably could have sunk the boat. Fortunately, there was/is internal lead ballast behind the hole (where the lightning exited the boat), and not a clear path for water entry. A bit further back on the keel and it would have been in the bilges and I doubt that the pumps would kept up. Also had a smaller hole in the bow, right at the water line, where I apparently suffered a sideflash that came down the forestay. The majority of the charge came down the mast, into the internal lead ballast, and out to ground at several locations.

Still sorting out the electronics and various electrical issues. The boatyard people who heard/saw the strike said it was rather dramatic

Strangely enough, we had been through some serious thunder storms and electrical storms this past season sailing south, some so bad that we moved to the aft cabin just in case we were struck. Fortunately we squeaked through without any drama (aside from being knocked down while at anchor and having our inflatable dingy launch itself from the foredeck, fly through the air and land 300 meters away on shore!)

I have developed a real dislike of lightning.
Old 30-12-2013, 22:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
When you invent something that works even 90% of the time let us know.
I personally promise to get excited. Otherwise, there's no point in worrying about something you can't control.
First response...given the plethora of electronic devices aboard even pleasure craft these days is how to protect them? Given the high dollar value of these systems it seems they demand a higher level of protection to offset the exposure of risk of electrical discharge.

I'm not looing for a perfect world but I do look to risk management.
Old 30-12-2013, 22:17   #28

This was returning to Lake Worth, Fl this past winter. We had lightning striking all around us while underway, and then the waterspouts started forming. Not a good pic, but I was busy getting the sails down and tending the boat prior to the inlet. It was pretty lumpy at the time, but had started to settle quite a bit when I took the photo. In the pic, one waterspout is ending and another beginning. We saw as many as four at one time - a record for us.

Damn near also tangled with a dredge float when in the shipping channel. Too many flashing yellow lights and I may not have been at my best. When in doubt, stop the boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Florida boat trip 008.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	73045  
Old 30-12-2013, 22:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
OK I know I should just let it go but I'm having trouble with this thought
Get over it, it weren't that great before either. Get out of the gutter.
Old 30-12-2013, 22:25   #30

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
So, there is relatively recent US research which develops some protective strategies. At least one company is selling a package of devices to minimize hull damage. I think you could enclose most electronics in a custom Faraday cage and have main disconnect switches installed to reduce risk. Can use lightning blocks in most coaxial antenna feed wires. Damage mitigation if not prevention. Been dealt with on this forum and elsewhere. Google it.

Tags
lightning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: