Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-03-2017, 13:23   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Leaving your boat in different ports for month at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferomp View Post
How to find s reliable caretaker to watch the boat in different ports ? This person also set the cleaning of the boat each week. How when i am so far away do I make sure the boat is not being robbed of the navigation? I am a working film maker and this is a 60 ft boat.
It may pay for you to have a crew member to act as caretaker?

Old 21-03-2017, 13:36   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might talk to those who run local charter fleets, & sailing schools, & have them routinely check & do the basics on her, for a contractual stipend. Obviously get a feel for who does respectable work first, but few ports of size with lots of sailboats don't have such businesses.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 00:12   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari

I can understand you worrying about this and wanting to prepare for it with such as expensive boat being left. However, I think Paul L has given you the best answer. You will find when you get to a particular port that there are companies or people whose job it is to do boat care-taking. The marina I'm in now has several such companies and they do whatever you want while away - security, cleaning, running engines etc... It would definitely be worth it for your boat and your peace of mind.
Old 22-03-2017, 00:30   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari

Cadence has a good idea - I'll volunteer!
Old 22-03-2017, 02:33   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

If money isn't an issue, then you can hire one of the agents who deal with mega-yachts to handle your clearance, dockage, restocking and caretaking.
Old 22-03-2017, 05:39   #21

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the East Coast of the USA.
Boat: Contest 48

We are in our 6th year of our circumnavigation (we have about 4,000 miles to go in order to cross our outbound track) and we have left our boat for months at a time in Fiji, Malaysia, South Africa and Trinidad. We have never had a problem although it is a lot of work preparing to leave a boat. In some places we've hired someone to look in on the boat and in other places we did not. Most of the time we hauled the boat out of the water.

Some of the horror stories we've heard about leaving boats in foreign ports has to do with mold/mildew, insect infestation and on rare occasions, theft. The biggest issue is the prevention of mold and mildew - we have heard of boats almost being ruined after the owners returned and found thick green mold everywhere. Here in Trinidad, to where we just returned, we left an air conditioner running the entire time we were gone (7 months) and everything was fine when we returned. The yard charged us an additional US$4 per day but we felt it was worth it. We also paid someone to look in on the boat and to specifically make certain the air conditioner was working. We even covered with him who to call in case the unit needed repair.

As others have said, there is a significant cruising community out there and most cruisers are willing to offer their advice and opinions, which is often helpful.

Have a good, safe trip. Fair winds and calm seas.

Tags
boat, ports

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: