Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 09:35   #1

Last sail as a single man! Can you help??

I wasn't sure where to post this, and this forum seemed harmless enough, please feel free to move this post if its misplaced.

I'll get right to it. I'd like to use your sailboat for a weekend in exchange for money, services, work on your sailboat, etc.

The backstory:
I've owned sailboats for a long time. Started out with a 1972 Aquarius 23 and for every hour I sailed her, I worked on her for five. Then a 1975 O'Day 27 and the work sailing ratio went down to 2:1. Finally I fell in love with a 1981 Allmand 31 and got to experience a boat that only needed to be worked on for the joy of working on boats, not to keep her afloat. Unfortunately, the Allmand was owned as part of a three way partnership and when your two partners lose interest in sailing (how is that even possible right?) then you are forced to either buy them out (which I couldn't afford at the time) or sell the boat. Therefore, I am currently in search of my next dream boat. I think I'll probably be in a position for solo boat ownership by next year, and I can't wait.

There's more backstory. During all the time I've been sailing, I've tried to get a very good friend of mine out for more then a couple hours. He shares my love of sailing but his experience (I always told him) is woefully incomplete if he never spends a couple evenings out on the water, or at some unfamiliar port. But as it usually happens when you have two very busy people, our schedules never aligned, or when they did, the weather interfered (hurricane!) So we always said, we'll try again later. Now the time has come! My friend is getting married, and he has asked me to be his best man. I can think of no better surprise for him before he gets married then to take him out on the water for a couple days but there's just one problem... no boat. Timing has never been our friend.

About me:
I am 28 years old, happily married and I love sailing. If you would consider letting me use your sailboat I would happily provide a copy of my driving record which shows no tickets. I am a responsible person, I don't drink excessively and I have a high respect for other people's property. I'm not interested in testing the limits of your vessel or dipping the rails, I'm looking for a couple days of cool breezes and beautiful scenery spent with good friends.

The boat I am looking for:
A monohull or catamaran between 28' - 36' with standing room in the cabin. Clean enough to enjoy a meal below decks.

The trip I'd like to take:
I have sailed out to Tangier Island a half dozen times and love the place and the people. My ideal trip would be three nights, one spent at Tangier, one at Smith Island, and one at some port along the way, maybe solomons island. These are all places that I am familiar with, have sailed in many times, and enjoy going. If perhaps your boat is too remote from these places then I can change the itinerary. The group would be myself and my friend, plus two others.

What would you receive in exchange:
For starters, your boat would get a big cleaning before we used it (if it needed it) and a big cleaning after as well.

As far as compensation goes we could do any number of things. Straight up cash is an option, although its not my favorite. Is there a project that needs done on your boat? Maybe you'd like a cockpit shower installed? A MP3/stereo system with marine speakers? A nice new stainless steel Magma grill installed out on the rail for summer barbecuing? I am very handy and would love to tackle any one of these projects! Maybe you'd just like a number you could call to have me come give you a hand with sanding the brightwork on deck or pressure washing and scrubbing under the waterline when you haul her at the end of the season. I would love to do any of these things or maybe there's something you have in mind that I haven't mentioned. Let me know! Send me an email and we'll see what we can work out.

Bottom line. If you'll allow a capable and responsible person to borrow your girl for a couple days when you aren't planning on using her anyway, you could get some great benefits in return!

PM me, or email at rejjr7@gmail.com

-Ralph
rejjr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 04:23   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Last sail as a single man! Can you help??

Just wondering why people don't appear to be jumping at the chance to allow someone they don't know use their boat?
Old 17-05-2012, 04:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Just mean and selfish i guess.

Coops.
Old 17-05-2012, 05:09   #4

Wonder who the "two others" might be??
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 05:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ralph.

That’s a very cool and thoughtful gift to the prospective groom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 05:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I know they only work on cash and not barter but have you thought about calling a boat charter company?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 05:59   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Well my boat could do with a good clean and bottom scrub but I suspect the OP won't be interested
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 06:37   #8

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Wonder who the "two others" might be??
I wondered the same thing...didn't sound like the bride to be was going to be one of them.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:01   #9

skipmac, I had looked at charter companies when I was between boats a few years ago and had in my mind that they were oppressively expensive. But I just checked again and found that I could get a 2011 Hunter 33 for three days for less than a grand. That's not that bad a deal, thanks for the tip!

Seaduction, The other two people are my fellow groomsmen of course! One was my partner in my last sailboat, a good sailor, and the other is just a good friend who also enjoys sailing.

Don Lucas, It takes the right kind of person to go for it, but I don't feel its that unusual a request. Of course I'd meet the boat owner first, even go along for a sail if it'd make them feel comfortable, a security deposit would also be involved to protect the owner. I know with my last boat I would have loved some extra help with paying the bills or with maintenance. But it certainly requires a little trust and faith, and I know that's asking ALOT from a stranger! But it never hurts to ask!
Old 17-05-2012, 07:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well my boat could do with a good clean and bottom scrub but I suspect the OP won't be interested
Sailing in Perth?! I Love it, talk about an adventure!!
Old 17-05-2012, 07:15   #11

Boat: private yacht always moving

Don,,, are you saying that you would not lend me your boat???/ promise I would not sail it to the bahamas and come back with a load of ??????? well never mind,,,,charter company or good luck rejj7,,,I know nobody that would lend a boat for a cleaning or stereo.....A 50k boat goes missing and the owner loses his investment, why stop at a sailboat,,,

might want to look into a mega yacht and offer the owner the same thing,,,sure he would not mind you using his million dollar boat to get a free cleaning or a stereo ,,,,there are many in fort lauderdale starting at 80 feet all the way to 200 feet,,,,if you want I can put you in touch with the brokers so they can ask the owner for you.

Dont set your sight so low on a small sailboat,,,go for the best. i suggest a 130 foot with captain so you can enjoy your time to the fullest
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Don,,, are you saying that you would not lend me your boat???/ promise I would not sail it to the bahamas and come back with a load of ??????? well never mind,,,,charter company or good luck rejj7,,,I know nobody that would lend a boat for a cleaning or stereo.....A 50k boat goes missing and the owner loses his investment, why stop at a sailboat,,,
I'm sure you don't really think my offer is "your boat for a week in exchange for a stereo..." If a charter company costs $1200 for a couple days aboard maybe someone out there would charge half that and let me pay the other half in labor or projects. I hardly think you can speak for every boat owner out there.

In addition, my Allmand was 31', plenty of room aboard for four and in turnkey shape (I wasn't going to win any races with her though!) and I only sold it for $12k. I can set my sights WELL below a $50k boat and still get out in the Bay and enjoy the wind and the water and a unique setting.

But thanks for chiming in, it may indeed be a pipe dream, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 17-05-2012, 07:46   #13

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Am I the only guy around here that didn't think this was such a dumb idea?
There were times in my boat owning past when I would have at least met the guy and checked out his story, gone for a sail etc. They were the times when friends who'd happily come for a day sailing with me, were incredibly busy and unable to spare a day or 2 when I hauled her for a clean up and bottom paint.
I've had boats with smaller, poorly run charter companies that I know would have hired my boat to guys a lot worse than this guy sounds. So what's the difference?

In this instance it sounds like there is potential for more than a one off event. Could be a real handy buddy to have around for a bit of help on occassions who just wants to sail a bit.
I guess I wouldn't be keen with a $200k boat, but with a $50k, why not?
Particularly if it's one of the boats I see sitting in their slips for 48 out of 52 weeks a year!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:50   #14

charted companies have insurance that will cover a boat if there is a problem with it,,,I do not think the policy of a sailboat will cover the boat if the owner charters it out for a weekend to a "friend" too much to go wrong. If something happens you can walk away leaving the owner holding the bag for everything.

If you find someone who does that let everyone on CF know so the people without a boat can contact them to do the same deal,,,I would love to "borrow" someone boat for a week in exchange for 1 week helping them in the yard. Never going to happen
Old 17-05-2012, 07:56   #15

HEY VV,,, I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks, mind if i borrow your boat. promise to clean it inside and out when done with it,,,i will do such a good job that you will want to fly me out for the week of yard work,,,tell you what, you dont even have to fly me first class, coach will do.

Send me a list of what you want done and I will send you my itinerary. mind if I bring along several friends, don't worry they are all legal to be in the US promise. As for my yard work, I am one of the best, hard workers that you can find. I have spend many months in do it your self boat yards so have lots of experience.

It will be worth it for you. maybe even leave you my used ipod when my trip is done

Tags
sail