Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41   #1

Boat: Ericson 27
Send a message via Skype™ to seadog2
Kissimmee River?

Have some friends meeting me in Stuart Fl in two weeksI'm thinking of taking them up the Kissimmee River to lake toho and the city of Kissimmee. Has anyone done this? My boat os a Pearson 28 with a 4.5 draft. 38' mast. I'm not sure if this trip would be doable but I think it would be a fun trip for my guest. If anyone has done this I wpuld love to hear your remarks and advice thanks.
seadog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14   #2

Re: Kissimmee River?

I'm fairly certain that the trip is not doable. You've got a fixed bridge on state road 78 right where the Kissimmee river enters Lake Okeechobee. Pretty sure that's a show-stopper right there.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

On the chart the bridge has a 20ft vertical clearance and is "removable." That usually means that if you are willing to spend a $100K or so they will "remove" the span over the river so you can get through and put it back.
- - There are also several "Locks" on the river that must be navigated through. See: Kissimmee River Information Guide - Florida Fishing
- - However, it you take down your mast you shouldn't have any problem. Or you can "trailer" your boat to Lake Toho where there is a very good boat launching facility in the park on the north edge of the lake.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20   #4

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

The bridge at Hwy 78 is higher than 20 feet but its not 60 either. The next bridge North at Hwy 70 is definitely a problem. It is probably not more than 30 feet. Once past the Hwy 70 bridge you will be in a construction zone. The USCOE is in the midst of restoring the river to its natural course and filling in the canal. It looks like the moon in some places.

Okeechobee is my hometown btw.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Sorry, used an old NOAA chart of Lake O for the bridge info. But my link to the Florida Fishing is quite interesting in how it show what the original river looked like versus the "man-made canal" they turned it into.
- - Anyway, Lake Toho is back to its old problem to too much wild grass growing everywhere and clogging up everything. I think a sailboat would not be able to do much as you would be dragging a lot of the stuff off your keel.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 04:52   #6

Boat: 1973 Viksund Goldfish 31

Im looking at doing the trip in my Wellcraft Offshore 20 here in the next few months as well.. Thank you for the info , Im going to contact the corps to see if its open for Navigation and will post back .
svsouthernstar is offline   Reply With Quote