Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31   #1

Keeping the Dream Alive

We've had to postpone our bluewater boat search due to my spinal surgery next week and my partner's recent rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis.
Sometimes its hard to see the "dream" when life throws you roadblock after roadblock.
I wonder if we will every get to have the lifestyle we have been saving and working toward for years, when our bodies start breaking down.
To help me cope, I have secretly been looking at boats online, but I have to admit my heart is heavy with doubt right now.
(sigh).
Shay

Wish I had found my passion for sailing earlier in life!
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Keeping the dream alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayW View Post
We've had to postpone our bluewater boat search due to my spinal surgery next week and my partner's recent rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis.
Sometimes its hard to see the "dream" when life throws you roadblock after roadblock.
I wonder if we will every get to have the lifestyle we have been saving and working toward for years, when our bodies start breaking down.
To help me cope, I have secretly been looking at boats online, but I have to admit my heart is heavy with doubt right now.
(sigh).
Shay

Sorry to hear about your handicaps to your dream... hope things go well for you guys...

Something all long term planners should consider...
time aint always on your side...
it aint how much dosh you've got...
that only buys the dream boat...
The dream is in the doing...
not in the 'Ideal Boat and Time'...
Go while you can in what you can afford now...
someone once said words to the effect...
Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself. Being true to anyone else or anything else is not only impossible, but the mark of an idiot.
So get on with it....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Keeping the dream alive

you will find ways to adapt to the new changes and continue, if that is truly part of a dream to be done. there are ways to manage both difficulties... good luck and may you find your compromises acceptable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59   #4

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
(sigh).
Shay

Shay all I can say is where there is a will there IS a way. Life isn't ever fair believe me I get it. You guys have to learn to work within your constraints and keep on living. Remember you have an illness/injury the injury/illness doesn't have you. I have run into many people in my time that let their whole life and personality become that issue. There are people that sail who can't walk, who are blind, who have life threatening issues and so on. If the desire is strong you guys will find a way. Good luck to you both!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25   #5

Quote:
ShayW:
Don't worry. If you want it bad enough and you have the right attitude you can usually find a way. About 15 years ago we were down on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala. There was a guy there who had lost both of his legs and one hand in a helicopter crash. As an engineer, he had designed and built his own leg prosthetics, outfitted a sail boat and single-handed it down from Texas. He was living his dream and was one of the nicest, most positive and cheerful people I have ever met.
Joe_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Keeping the Dream Alive

Quote:
to my spinal surgery next week and my partner's recent rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis.
Yes, and I do know how lucky I am.

But also you can take view slightly different to the dream you have had.

In a while, when your physical capacities are better known, you can have a look at things that are similar to your goals and maybe better suited to you physically.

Sailing a boat with advanced arthritis must be a challenge. Could be fine for someone, but others we may just prefer to do something else.

'Land cruising' in the right sort of RV could tick the boxes on the sailing cruising list. Also it may give you a better quality more stable bed for you and less winch grinding for your wife.

If your retirement goals are for a fun relaxing adventure into areas you've never been thats great. There's more than one way to achieve them

**** By the way, the most difficult stuff for less mobile people on boats isn't the sailing part! Its the getting on and off and into/out of the dinghy, Comapanionways, small bathrooms, deep lockers, unstable marinas, beaches with waves, poor dinghy docks etc etc.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 16:01   #7

Re: Keeping the Dream Alive

Yes, thanks for the encouragement. Neither of us is ready to give up yet!
We are just being realistic for the next year until it all gets sorted. We can't imagine not sailing, so I'll know we'll adapt. I just don't know what that will look like yet.
Rather than sitting and stewing, I need to be involved, even if it is from the armchair for now.
Shay
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote