Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 19:41   #1

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Just Re-watched "All Is Lost"

Sorry, but I searched and couldn't find a thread for this movie... and I am sure that it's been discussed here before. But I wanted to discuss my take on it and why I think most reviews from sailors miss the entire point of the movie.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Most discussions I've read, sailors seem to be critical of the characters poor decisions. I will leave alone some of the technical errors, but I wanted to discuss why I think most people are missing the point.

I think that Redford's character is a man who is solo sailing, not for the adventure, but to escape his miserable life. "All is lost." He had given up on life, long before the trouble even begins. His boat is somewhat neglected, and he is slow to respond to situations, because he is in denial and doesn't want to deal with it. This is apparent when the big storm is coming and he starts drinking and shaving, instead of making storm preps.

He is reactive to every situation, not proactive. Once his boat sinks, and "all is lost", only then does he begin to sober up, and attempt to save himself. He is out of booze and probably realizing what an a-hole he's been to his family (I get this, from the note he reads at the beginning of the movie.) He figures out his sextant, rations his provisions, plots his course adrift, attempts to get rescued, writes the aforementioned, apologetic note to his family, etc. Once his life raft burns to the waterline and he gives up hope and sinks.... all is lost. But the lights of the rescue skiff shine on him and he realizes that he is finally saved.

I can only assume that he became a stronger person after his ordeal, and realized that he had a lot to live for.

Most sailor reviews I've read are from people who assume that the minute he got hit by the container, he should have sprang from his bunk and immediately taken proactive steps, in the proper order, to save the boat and initiate rescue procedures. If he were depressed and passively suicidal, I think his character is spot on.

Any thoughts?
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 20:40   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Just Re-watched "All Is Lost"

I haven't wasted my time watching this trainwreck, but I do have a question for you.
What was powering this container which "hit" him?

Just askin'...

Oh, and do a search on CF. It's been discussed ad nauseum which is why I never watched it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 21:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi WingRyder.

I think you have a good take on it. Good post. Different from most.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 21:21   #4
cruiser

Terrible, terrible movie.... difficult to determine whether it was a comedy or just a downright tragedy of a movie. When he was attacked in dead calm by the wayward shipping container, we could no longer take the flick seriously.

Question: How could anyone endure watching it a second time?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 21:33   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I think you are absolutely right. Many folks think this movie was about sailing. It wasn't. That was my take as well.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 22:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I haven't wasted my time watching this trainwreck, but I do have a question for you.

Just askin'...

Oh, and do a search on CF. It's been discussed ad nauseum which is why I never watched it.
I was addressing the motivations of the character, not the technical flaws of the movie... which there are many. All movies have technical flaws, mostly to create dramatic tension.

Is the "powered" container your only problem with the movie. Could you relate to Redford's character at all?

EDIT: I did a search here but couldn't find a discussion on this movie... only Adrift.
Old 10-10-2018, 22:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Terrible, terrible movie.... difficult to determine whether it was a comedy or just a downright tragedy of a movie. When he was attacked in dead calm by the wayward shipping container, we could no longer take the flick seriously.

Question: How could anyone endure watching it a second time?
The container introduced an immediate problem into an otherwise calm scene, introducing the main (only) character, while was napping, in the middle of the day. He looked rough and reluctant to get up... It set up the scene where he had to sober up and do something about it. I thought the container hitting his boat was as plausible as any. In reality it wouldn't have caused that kind of damage, or got stuck to his boat, but it got him off his berth... created dramatic tension and was visually appealing. It was a way to demonstrate to a non-sailing audience, that he had a problem, and he had some unusual tools at his disposal to deal with it. Also, a shipping container is something that the average movie goer can relate to... EVERYONE has seen one... Even though its not as 'believable' as a 25 ft. Great White ramming a hole in your boat
Old 10-10-2018, 22:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think you are absolutely right. Many folks think this movie was about sailing. It wasn't. That was my take as well.
Agreed. The boat and his predicament were merely the antagonist.
Old 10-10-2018, 22:48   #9

Second dumbest movie ever. Dumbest is "Eyes Wide Shut", even though Nichole Kidman gets naked for a bit early on.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 22:50   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Or, as you seemed to suggest, he is both protagonist and antagonist in a way?....and the boat and sea are metaphors for...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 23:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Or, as you seemed to suggest, he is both protagonist and antagonist in a way?....and the boat and sea are metaphors for...
Boat = Family
Sea = Internal demons? Reality?

He (likely) wasn't a good father / husband, he neglected the people who cared for him. Like he neglected his boat, his lifeline, his means of survival. Only when he lost his boat did he realize how much he depended on it, and how much it took care of him.

As for the sea, that's a good question. Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away... only makes them worse... My takeaway was don't f#$! with Poseidon! lol.
Old 10-10-2018, 23:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
Second dumbest movie ever. Dumbest is "Eyes Wide Shut", even though Nichole Kidman gets naked for a bit early on.
With all the ridiculous same-as-the-last-one, superhero flicks out there... I could hardly call this the worst. I agree on Eyes wide shut though... I'm not a big Kubrick, Tarantino, Scorsese fan either.
Old 10-10-2018, 23:40   #13

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

It worked on one level - as a comedy. Worst movie though with Cruse and Kidman in it, about a young couple fleeing the Irish potato famine and ending up in the US. Don't recall the name, but the acting and the script were so bad it was wonderful.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 23:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
It worked on one level - as a comedy. Worst movie though with Cruse and Kidman in it, about a young couple fleeing the Irish potato famine and ending up in the US. Don't recall the name, but the acting and the script were so bad it was wonderful.
Lol... I remember that movie too! Far and Away! Boring. Cruise and Kidman weren't a very good acting duo!

Also, Last of the Mohicans... Daniel Day Lewis played a Mohican... After 2 hours, I was like, "Finally, we're down to the last Mohican!"

All is lost, IMO is a pretty damn good movie. Considering there is only one actor and almost no dialog (well, monolog), I think the emotional element was pretty good.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Just askin'...
we wont ever know but what about a confluence between wind and sea
I think he ran into 'it', and its not like it ever happened

I think the film had its problems, but I just enjoyed something that was a little different from the rest which is largely trash we wont talk about because theyre already forgotten

Tags
lost