Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 22:22   #16

Re: Junk-Raft-Evolution

We would like to say thank you for the support you have show us so far.

Yes the Junk rafts mentioned, Junk Raft, Plastiki, Antiki and Son of Hall are our inspiration for this project. Before seeing these rafts, and what they have achieved, the project seemed like a far reaching dream. But now we know it can be done.

Wharram designs too is part of the plan, that is why our design is basically a catamaran made of plastic drums and pvc pipes. Well that is the plan at least. The design will change based on the materials we can source.

Quote:
Why not look for auction sailboats at your local marina. Here in Berkeley marina we see a few each month. Some great deals can be had for not much money.
That is a good leftbrainstuff, but we don't even have the funding to drive to the closest coastal marina (over 600km away). And it is unlikely we get a boat for $30 or less it. But thank for the suggestion
Junk Raft Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 01:28   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'll be watching this one with interest. And surely wish you guys luck. That, plus if some good resources come to mind, I'll try & post them.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 06:13   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
The Nalgene bottles were overstock donated by Patagonia after they were discontinued because of chemicals in the plastic. The rest of the bottles are 2 liters.

I thought after I posted that their presence might have something to do with BPA. Thanks for clarifying!

And good luck to the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 07:11   #19

Hmm, noble project but being 600 miles from open water seems to be the first hurdle. Where do you propose to build the raft? Perhaps CF advice would help locate a "raft yard" where you can stockpile your raw materials then assemble the raft. I'm guessing this needs to be about a half acre worth of waterfront space, with a small building and electricity on site, habitable. Prime real estate in some places. And all within easy distance of a large supply of salvage materials. Your design will likely evolve from the materials found, an organic approach, rather than from a set of plans for which you have to source specific items. Interesting combination of creative, engineering and sailing skills will be needed. I can see many starts, teardowns, and restarts as materials are found. I'd try to nail down as many variables as possible, to help tighten up the design focus. But if someone offers you a hundred sheets of salvageable plywood when you've already begun assembling a hundred plastic drums into a platform, what would you do? Me, I'd see about a Wharram design, since someone very knowledgeable saves me from pretending to be a naval architect/sailing savvy. Better odds at survival once underway. Apologies to Huck Finn aficionados.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote