Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2011, 13:51   #31

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Jolly Roger, Pirates and Political Correctness

So if I fly my CF burgee-it meens I agree with everything on this forum??

Not bloody likely.
Old 29-08-2011, 14:02   #32

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Cruising is NOT about unblocking the heads, its about unblocking the brain
I like that.

-------------
Jay White
S/V Dove
Hayes, VA

"Cruising is NOT about unblocking the heads, its about unblocking the brain." -MarkJ
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:06   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Jolly Rodger, Pirates and Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats my point exactly... you are in an International forum! You are not in a USA forum.
Its not owned by an American ...
Notwithstanding that the CF's owner probably is an American (sometimes expat'), immature bad taste remains bad taste, even if eloquently rationalized, even by a well-intentioned cruiser of good will.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:23   #34

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
Now that I could not agree with more.
BUGGER!!!... and I was so enjoying the stoush

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:28   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I appreciate those pirate flags - they help me identify the people I like to stay away from.
+1

It's like the non-boater guests who come aboard saying, "Arrrrrr. Avast!" It never seems to fail that the ones who have perfected pirate-speak are the first ones who will get seasick.
Old 29-08-2011, 14:40   #36

Is this where we run up the S(orry) N(ot) O(n) B(oard) flag.
Old 29-08-2011, 14:45   #37

Boat: Unknown MFV 60ft

haha great thread... come on PC babyboomers, we're not living in the golden age of sail, surely flying a jolly roger in 2011 is just a bit of harmless fun. I'm pretty sure if I saw one approach my starboard quarter I'd be looking forward to a bit of banter rather than preparing to dodge their cannon shot.

In England there still exists a law that allows a boat flying a jolly roger to be blown out of the water if it closes within a certain proximity to a HM Naval vessel... but there is also a law that still exists allowing Englishmen to fire arrows using a bow at Welshmen crossing the border in groups of 8 or more (which tend these days to be in a minibus/coach/train, so not very effective unfortunately).

The point is over time often things lose their original meaning/offense, so why not reclaim them in a humurous/entertaining/bit-of-fun way? Light-heartedness is the way forward PC brigade!

shiver me timbers
Old 29-08-2011, 14:47   #38

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I don't mind pirate flags.....Can't stand Jimmy Boo-Fay or Steel Drum Bands.
Your not the only one. A pox on all their houses!
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:48   #39

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

ALL pirates were thieves.
SOME pirates were murdering, torturing, barbarously cruel thieves.

All pirates used the threat of force to rob people. Beyond that point, they were diverse in their motivations and methods.

Some approached piracy purely as an economic transaction and used a minimum of violence. Others enjoyed being bloodthirsty. The most ethical pirates might merely rob their victims of choice cargo and useful supplies, but leave the victims with their ship and supplies. Other pirates would torture some of their victims, either to locate hidden plunder or for the beastly, bloodthirsty enjoyment of it. No doubt you could draw a continuum, from the relatively "civilized" Jennings and Hornigold (not to mention Drake or Morgan) to the more evil Vane or l'Olonnais.

Surprisingly, Blackbeard (Ed Teach/Thatch) was one of the less violent pirates; he used a terrifying appearance to overawe victims into surrendering without fighting.

Besides greed, motivations included the political (some pirates were former victims of the Bloody Assizes of 1685 [the back story to the movie Captain Blood]) or, a generation later, failed Jacobite supporters of the Stuarts; whereas others continued to prey upon their country's traditional enemies even after peace treaties invalidated their privateering commissions.) Other pirates may have rebelled against injustice, poor treatment, bad food, crowding, tyranny, years at sea without reprieve, and harsh treatment in the Royal Navy, which all too often was governed by "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash". The pirates were happy to keep the first of these.

One of the more interesting pirates was the inept, landlubberly, weak, and outlandishly dressed Stede Bonnet, who appears to have been a touch mentally ill and who made a spectacularly unlucky pirate, being hanged after a short career.
Old 29-08-2011, 15:01   #40

Boat: Triton 24

It must be a cultural thing. I occasionally see folk flying a little Jolly Roger flag around Qld, and have even talked to a couple of them. They seemed like nice people (no doubt with peccadilloes like all of us). Who knew they were actually horrible monsters who were displaying tacit approval of modern-day piracy, or terribly immature people who I should have, apparently, been avoiding at all costs.

In my newly enlightened state, next time I'm at Sea World and see the actors dressed in pirate regalia, or see Pirates of Penzance, or encounter someone at a party wearing an eyepatch and an inflatable parrot, I'll be sure to give them a good stern talking to. Also I may shout obscentities at the screen during the next Pirates of the Carribean movie.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:01   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo View Post
haha great thread... come on PC babyboomers, we're not living in the golden age of sail, surely flying a jolly roger in 2011 is just a bit of harmless fun. I'm pretty sure if I saw one approach my starboard quarter I'd be looking forward to a bit of banter rather than preparing to dodge their cannon shot.

In England there still exists a law that allows a boat flying a jolly roger to be blown out of the water if it closes within a certain proximity to a HM Naval vessel... but there is also a law that still exists allowing Englishmen to fire arrows using a bow at Welshmen crossing the border in groups of 8 or more (which tend these days to be in a minibus/coach/train, so not very effective unfortunately).

The point is over time often things lose their original meaning/offense, so why not reclaim them in a humurous/entertaining/bit-of-fun way? Light-heartedness is the way forward PC brigade!

shiver me timbers
Great attitude! No, real Pirates were not pleasant people, but the pirate flag as we know it has little or nothing to do with them. It has everything to do with an idealized age of sail that only ever really happened in Hollywood. Real pirates would not even recognize the Jolly Roger, it was an invention of the later era of piracy and was similar to flags used by navies as well to mean no quarter in a boarding. Here in the western US it also has to do with a perception of political freedom and is a statement of democracy and freedom. Yes, that's me in a Pirate outfit in my avatar, haven't missed the Portland Pirate festival yet. My little girls love Pirates and have been on all the local tallships which show up for things like the pirate festival to fire their cannon. My wife and I met in a wooden boat building school many years ago and have worked on many of these vessels too. Zodiac, Adventuress, Lady Washington, etc. Many of these vessels make a living doing pirate movies and pirate themed events, seafair, etc. It's the only mythology from the age of sail the average person knows anything about, and if more people learn about wooden ships and sailing as a result, that's great! I'm sure there's people sailing now who wouldn't be if they had never read Treasure Island as a kid....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:12   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jolly Roger, Pirates and Political Correctness

AAARRRGGGHHHH......Tis the Black Spot.... Arrr Jim me lad.... I be boogered... ahhh stuff it splice the mainbrace...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:18   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
AAARRRGGGHHHH......Tis the Black Spot.... Arrr Jim me lad.... I be boogered... ahhh stuff it splice the mainbrace...
I was wondering when you were going to come over the horizon.
Old 29-08-2011, 15:28   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jolly Roger, Pirates and Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I was wondering when you were going to come over the horizon.
Ay... it be the sixty...een year old raising his ugly head..... Aharrrrr me hearties..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hello.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	30927  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:37   #45

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Aaargh we are in the USA in a marina, we have a Jolly Roger flying even when we sail, two parrots who live loose on board and rum. Obviously we are criminals but this has already been established since Joe was arrested.
Seriously, however I would not fly the Jolly Roger outside is the states as a matter of respect to others
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote