Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 16:04   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Jabsco toilet backflow from tank into bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdavis View Post
Any idea as to which cleaners might be the best.?
I've found that diluting one of the nitrate-based treatments into a spray bottle and using that fairly often does the trick with no actual scrubbing. Also reduces odors throughout the system. Heck, the head compartment can usually do with a little freshening anyway, give it is much smaller than a home bathroom.

Sail Delmarva: Something Lazy, Something Free

Lotsa a tips like that in "Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts," below.
Old 03-07-2017, 13:12   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimongee View Post
Suddenly we have occasional air bubbles and waste flowing back into the toilet bowl. The lever for dry bowl or wet bowl still works perfect. I closed the thru hull just to make sure raw water wasn't siphoning in. No change. I suspected a spider clogged tank vent next. It was a bit restricted, but after correction-I still have the problem. I'm 100% comfortable dissembling and replacing what ever, but if anybody has had this ocurr and figured it out. I'd appreciate your tips. Thanks
Just catching up on this as currently winterising boat, and a bit busy.
We have the Jabsco 'Quietflush' (and there is a joke, but anyway). The joker valves on ours are now six years old, and the trick from our perspective is at the end of each season leave a descaler in the system for 24 hours to remove calcium deposits. During use, when you flush, if a bit of paper or whatever gets caught on the valve flap, no matter how new, it will leak back. So the trick is to finish flushing, then operate the pump two more times. This pushes air up the hose to the holding tank, and there is very little liquid to seep back if there is something on the valve. Works every time for us - without that, from time to time you can get half a bowl of liquid seeping back.
Hope that helps,

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 16:21   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

For routine maintenance of your head (every 1-2 weeks) I suggest that after you pump the head dry add a half cup of vegetable oil to the bowl and then pump just enough to lubricate the piston. After that add another half cup of ordinary vinegar and pump enough to coat the joker valve. This will reduce the crusty coating that ruins the valve.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 23:09   #19

Boat: Mahe 36

Small lemon pip stuck in a crevice of the joker valve ( and difficult to spot initially) was the problem with our Jabsco - same symptoms.
Works fine again now.
Roscopoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 00:03   #20
cruiser

On our Hunter, I was continuously fussing with the Jabsco hand pump flushing system. I rebuilt those two toilets twice during the 18 months we owned that boat, what a PITA and the hoses stunk.

On our Oyster, the first thing I modified was changing out the Jabsco hand pump heads for Jabsco electric macerating heads. Going now on our six seasons of trouble free service. No more pumping by hand, no more stinky hoses (because it's now easy for everyone to flush down waste followed by two bowl fulls of water)... they are simply easy to use and require no service.

It's money that's very well spent. And not that much money. Here in Italy, there's only a $200 price difference between hand pump misery and pushing a button on a Jabsco.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, oil