Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 21:52   #1
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
I've sure enjoyed CF

I'm posting to admit my "wanna be" cruising isn't going to materialize. I've met some really great folks here and will continue to lurk to see how everyone is doing, but I'm going to let my posting meter (posts per day) unwind.

For retirement I had two passions to chose from, sailing or flying. Cruising offered so much more than the flying I used to do, which more or less boiled down to what we call "the $100 hamburger" run. Meeting other pilots at some airport greasy spoon for lunch. Cruising was an entire lifestyle change which while I was still working at sea had me daydreaming of cruising on my own boat at my schedule and choice of destinations and amount of time spent at these destinations. I did get a small taste of this before going to CMA on my Cal 40, and that experience kept the fire alive all those midnight to 0400 watches on some container ship.

What changed my mind was a introduction to a different type of flying outings. It is called backcountry flying or bush flying where you and other like minded pilots gather in pristine, desolate areas for the beauty, fishing, camping and social aspect. I cemented this decision with the purchase of my retirement home in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark just north of Columbus, New Mexico. Escrow closed yesterday and I'll be moving this Tuesday.

To all my friends on CF, keep the dream alive and cruise instead of being a slave to the work-a-day life. Keep us dreamers (cruiser wanna be's) enthralled with your adventures and travels, post a lot of pictures and make those fantastic passages to some idyllic anchorages. I will be lurking, so keep those threads going and through your participation, supporting this great and popular forum we all just call CF. My participation is now on a forum that isn't much larger than the LiFePO4 house battery thread on CF. I'm still using the same username and if any are interested, since there isn't any competition between the forums, drop by and say "Hi".

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum


My hopes are that this old dog can approach the talent of my buddy Steve Henry. Until it does, there are plenty of grass and dirt airstrips in the mountainous 7 Western States that don't require his skill level.

__________________

__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 22:05   #2
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

I wish you all the best Bob, on this new chapter of your life, please keep the shiny side up. The old saying goes "Didn't swap no paint or bend no iron, a miss is as good as a mile."
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 22:14   #3
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I cemented this decision with the purchase of my retirement home in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark just north of Columbus, New Mexico. Escrow closed yesterday and I'll be moving this Tuesday.
Congrats on a decision made and the new home!

I guess fair winds are good for flying too ... and following ... clouds?
Sounds like backcountry flying will be at least as adventurous and relaxing as cruising.

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to wave when you fly over an anchorage
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 23:01   #4
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Congrats on a decision made and the new home!

I guess fair winds are good for flying too ... and following ... clouds?
Sounds like backcountry flying will be at least as adventurous and relaxing as cruising.

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to wave when you fly over an anchorage

Thanks. Same as sailing, tailwinds preferred over headwinds except during take off and landings.

Capt58,

I used to live in Valdez before it was the home of the world STOL competition.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 23:06   #5
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,246
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Me too. Congrats Bob on the new lifestyle, it sounds fantastic.
We have a "Live-in Hanger" subdivision in the glider and vintage plane centre of NZ - Central Otago.
"War-birds over Wanaka" is a popular airshow that occurs there every two years.
__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 23:37   #6
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Deckofficer,

So sorry you're leaving. I have always appreciated the good sense in your posts.

Congratulations on your new choice: I am sure it will give you a great deal of pleasure, so enjoy.

And, fair winds, mate.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 00:03   #7
Registered User
 
deckofficer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Boat: too many
Posts: 4,198
Images: 4
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Me too. Congrats Bob on the new lifestyle, it sounds fantastic.
We have a "Live-in Hanger" subdivision in the glider and vintage plane centre of NZ - Central Otago.
"War-birds over Wanaka" is a popular airshow that occurs there every two years.
Now that is something unexpected but welcome, this post attracting cross over types that enjoy both activities. Now that I think of it, I shouldn't just lurk in the future because the idea of crewing for a passage and then flying with a cruiser has a certain appeal. Wish I could have afforded an airpark on the coast and near a marina.

Ann, as always your so sweet. You have been cruising for such a long time and have racked up so many experiences. I have always enjoyed your posts. As I mentioned to DumnMad, maybe there is a way for me to have my cake and eat it too. That always seems like such an odd old saying. Considering Rebel Heart is looking to get cruising again with his family, and for passages after his last experience he might want crew, just maybe I can do both. I heard Charlotte is in Europe helping Syrian refugees.
__________________
Bob
USCG Unlimited Tonnage Open Ocean (CMA)
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 00:39   #8
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,246
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Sorry, a bit ambiguous. I used the royal we meaning South Island NZ has a subdivision with live-in hangers. When I started talking about living aboard a boat my wife suggested the live-in hanger - she was saying anything but a boat. We didn't go there but can see it would be great camaraderie. Enjoy.
__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50   #9
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,810
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm posting to admit my "wanna be" cruising isn't going to materialize. I've met some really great folks here and will continue to lurk to see how everyone is doing, but I'm going to let my posting meter (posts per day) unwind.

For retirement I had two passions to chose from, sailing or flying. Cruising offered so much more than the flying I used to do, which more or less boiled down to what we call "the $100 hamburger" run. Meeting other pilots at some airport greasy spoon for lunch. Cruising was an entire lifestyle change which while I was still working at sea had me daydreaming of cruising on my own boat at my schedule and choice of destinations and amount of time spent at these destinations. I did get a small taste of this before going to CMA on my Cal 40, and that experience kept the fire alive all those midnight to 0400 watches on some container ship.

What changed my mind was a introduction to a different type of flying outings. It is called backcountry flying or bush flying where you and other like minded pilots gather in pristine, desolate areas for the beauty, fishing, camping and social aspect. I cemented this decision with the purchase of my retirement home in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark just north of Columbus, New Mexico. Escrow closed yesterday and I'll be moving this Tuesday.

To all my friends on CF, keep the dream alive and cruise instead of being a slave to the work-a-day life. Keep us dreamers (cruiser wanna be's) enthralled with your adventures and travels, post a lot of pictures and make those fantastic passages to some idyllic anchorages. I will be lurking, so keep those threads going and through your participation, supporting this great and popular forum we all just call CF. My participation is now on a forum that isn't much larger than the LiFePO4 house battery thread on CF. I'm still using the same username and if any are interested, since there isn't any competition between the forums, drop by and say "Hi".

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum

Best wishes with the move and new lifestyle Bob .
Sounds like an exciting venture. I gave up gliding to start sailing and I still often look up at the skies longingly.

No reason to only lurk here. Your absence would be missed. You have valuable knowledge regarding batteries in particular (planes and boats share lots of systems). Why not continue to share your expertise and keep interacting with friends?

Coincidentally it was just yesterday that I was searching through your posts trying to find a thread that you either contributed to or started where photos were posted of members when they were young. I thought new members would find it fun to read if I resurrected it. Any idea what the thread was called? I have a contribution to add .

SWL
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:08   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,398
Images: 115
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Quote:
. It is called backcountry flying or bush flying where you and other like minded pilots gather
Be careful doing that..
I flew bush in Alaska for a living, lost friends and colleagues left and right, fog, icing, overload, bad luck, you name it.
Doing it for a hobby you can choose your time to go, choose your weather as well as your load.
That may be the ticket to survival.
Good Luck.

PS, make sure you get a C-185, it has plenty of power to keep you out of trouble.
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:58   #11
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,189
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Hey DO... glad you've found your way.. all be it another medium.. fair winds and dry ground..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:03   #12
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Planes go better upwind!
Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:47   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Small world. While I haven't given up the cruising dream I did just start private pilot training. One of the bucket list items that's best done while still employed as its not a cheap hobby. (Are any?)

Best of luck and don't be a stranger.



Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

On the water or on the land it is all about the passion. Chase the rabbit, eat it, then chase his wife!

We wish you all the best in your pursuit!

Love,
the barnakiels
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:20   #15
Registered User
 
jewt's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: 1969 Morgan 41 K/CB
Posts: 48
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

As a retired US Marine Harrier pilot, with all takeoff and landings coming out even, just remember than any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you can reuse the plane. it is a great one!


jewt S/V Bifrost
__________________

__________________
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Previously-Enjoyed Catalina 30 as First Boat discostu Monohull Sailboats 21 14-02-2012 19:38
I am sure this is dumb! jimisbell Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 14 15-01-2007 14:54
Not sure what is wrong with the menu... ssullivan Provisioning: Food & Drink 17 26-03-2006 14:17
Two Books I Just Finished & Thoroughly Enjoyed Lightfin The Library 4 20-01-2006 19:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.