Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 20:52   #1

Boat: too many
I've sure enjoyed CF

I'm posting to admit my "wanna be" cruising isn't going to materialize. I've met some really great folks here and will continue to lurk to see how everyone is doing, but I'm going to let my posting meter (posts per day) unwind.

For retirement I had two passions to chose from, sailing or flying. Cruising offered so much more than the flying I used to do, which more or less boiled down to what we call "the $100 hamburger" run. Meeting other pilots at some airport greasy spoon for lunch. Cruising was an entire lifestyle change which while I was still working at sea had me daydreaming of cruising on my own boat at my schedule and choice of destinations and amount of time spent at these destinations. I did get a small taste of this before going to CMA on my Cal 40, and that experience kept the fire alive all those midnight to 0400 watches on some container ship.

What changed my mind was a introduction to a different type of flying outings. It is called backcountry flying or bush flying where you and other like minded pilots gather in pristine, desolate areas for the beauty, fishing, camping and social aspect. I cemented this decision with the purchase of my retirement home in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark just north of Columbus, New Mexico. Escrow closed yesterday and I'll be moving this Tuesday.

To all my friends on CF, keep the dream alive and cruise instead of being a slave to the work-a-day life. Keep us dreamers (cruiser wanna be's) enthralled with your adventures and travels, post a lot of pictures and make those fantastic passages to some idyllic anchorages. I will be lurking, so keep those threads going and through your participation, supporting this great and popular forum we all just call CF. My participation is now on a forum that isn't much larger than the LiFePO4 house battery thread on CF. I'm still using the same username and if any are interested, since there isn't any competition between the forums, drop by and say "Hi".

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum

My hopes are that this old dog can approach the talent of my buddy Steve Henry. Until it does, there are plenty of grass and dirt airstrips in the mountainous 7 Western States that don't require his skill level.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 21:05   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

I wish you all the best Bob, on this new chapter of your life, please keep the shiny side up. The old saying goes "Didn't swap no paint or bend no iron, a miss is as good as a mile."
Old 09-04-2016, 21:14   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I cemented this decision with the purchase of my retirement home in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark just north of Columbus, New Mexico. Escrow closed yesterday and I'll be moving this Tuesday.
Congrats on a decision made and the new home!

I guess fair winds are good for flying too ... and following ... clouds?
Sounds like backcountry flying will be at least as adventurous and relaxing as cruising.

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to wave when you fly over an anchorage
Old 09-04-2016, 22:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Congrats on a decision made and the new home!

I guess fair winds are good for flying too ... and following ... clouds?
Sounds like backcountry flying will be at least as adventurous and relaxing as cruising.

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to wave when you fly over an anchorage

Thanks. Same as sailing, tailwinds preferred over headwinds except during take off and landings.

Capt58,

I used to live in Valdez before it was the home of the world STOL competition.
Old 09-04-2016, 22:06   #5

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Me too. Congrats Bob on the new lifestyle, it sounds fantastic.
We have a "Live-in Hanger" subdivision in the glider and vintage plane centre of NZ - Central Otago.
"War-birds over Wanaka" is a popular airshow that occurs there every two years.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 22:37   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Deckofficer,

So sorry you're leaving. I have always appreciated the good sense in your posts.

Congratulations on your new choice: I am sure it will give you a great deal of pleasure, so enjoy.

And, fair winds, mate.

Ann
Old 09-04-2016, 23:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Me too. Congrats Bob on the new lifestyle, it sounds fantastic.
We have a "Live-in Hanger" subdivision in the glider and vintage plane centre of NZ - Central Otago.
"War-birds over Wanaka" is a popular airshow that occurs there every two years.
Now that is something unexpected but welcome, this post attracting cross over types that enjoy both activities. Now that I think of it, I shouldn't just lurk in the future because the idea of crewing for a passage and then flying with a cruiser has a certain appeal. Wish I could have afforded an airpark on the coast and near a marina.

Ann, as always your so sweet. You have been cruising for such a long time and have racked up so many experiences. I have always enjoyed your posts. As I mentioned to DumnMad, maybe there is a way for me to have my cake and eat it too. That always seems like such an odd old saying. Considering Rebel Heart is looking to get cruising again with his family, and for passages after his last experience he might want crew, just maybe I can do both. I heard Charlotte is in Europe helping Syrian refugees.
Old 09-04-2016, 23:39   #8

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Sorry, a bit ambiguous. I used the royal we meaning South Island NZ has a subdivision with live-in hangers. When I started talking about living aboard a boat my wife suggested the live-in hanger - she was saying anything but a boat. We didn't go there but can see it would be great camaraderie. Enjoy.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:50   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm posting to admit my "wanna be" cruising isn't going to materialize. I've met some really great folks here and will continue to lurk to see how everyone is doing, but I'm going to let my posting meter (posts per day) unwind.

For retirement I had two passions to chose from, sailing or flying. Cruising offered so much more than the flying I used to do, which more or less boiled down to what we call "the $100 hamburger" run. Meeting other pilots at some airport greasy spoon for lunch. Cruising was an entire lifestyle change which while I was still working at sea had me daydreaming of cruising on my own boat at my schedule and choice of destinations and amount of time spent at these destinations. I did get a small taste of this before going to CMA on my Cal 40, and that experience kept the fire alive all those midnight to 0400 watches on some container ship.

What changed my mind was a introduction to a different type of flying outings. It is called backcountry flying or bush flying where you and other like minded pilots gather in pristine, desolate areas for the beauty, fishing, camping and social aspect. I cemented this decision with the purchase of my retirement home in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark just north of Columbus, New Mexico. Escrow closed yesterday and I'll be moving this Tuesday.

To all my friends on CF, keep the dream alive and cruise instead of being a slave to the work-a-day life. Keep us dreamers (cruiser wanna be's) enthralled with your adventures and travels, post a lot of pictures and make those fantastic passages to some idyllic anchorages. I will be lurking, so keep those threads going and through your participation, supporting this great and popular forum we all just call CF. My participation is now on a forum that isn't much larger than the LiFePO4 house battery thread on CF. I'm still using the same username and if any are interested, since there isn't any competition between the forums, drop by and say "Hi".

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum

Best wishes with the move and new lifestyle Bob .
Sounds like an exciting venture. I gave up gliding to start sailing and I still often look up at the skies longingly.

No reason to only lurk here. Your absence would be missed. You have valuable knowledge regarding batteries in particular (planes and boats share lots of systems). Why not continue to share your expertise and keep interacting with friends?

Coincidentally it was just yesterday that I was searching through your posts trying to find a thread that you either contributed to or started where photos were posted of members when they were young. I thought new members would find it fun to read if I resurrected it. Any idea what the thread was called? I have a contribution to add .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:08   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. It is called backcountry flying or bush flying where you and other like minded pilots gather
Be careful doing that..
I flew bush in Alaska for a living, lost friends and colleagues left and right, fog, icing, overload, bad luck, you name it.
Doing it for a hobby you can choose your time to go, choose your weather as well as your load.
That may be the ticket to survival.
Good Luck.

PS, make sure you get a C-185, it has plenty of power to keep you out of trouble.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I've sure enjoyed CF

Hey DO... glad you've found your way.. all be it another medium.. fair winds and dry ground..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:03   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Planes go better upwind!
Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47   #13

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Small world. While I haven't given up the cruising dream I did just start private pilot training. One of the bucket list items that's best done while still employed as its not a cheap hobby. (Are any?)

Best of luck and don't be a stranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

On the water or on the land it is all about the passion. Chase the rabbit, eat it, then chase his wife!

We wish you all the best in your pursuit!

Love,
the barnakiels
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20   #15

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

As a retired US Marine Harrier pilot, with all takeoff and landings coming out even, just remember than any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you can reuse the plane. it is a great one!

jewt S/V Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote