Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 11:56   #31

Boat: Westsail28
Re: It's just disgusting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Ok, I'll throw a hissy fit

Sure it's sad but why the h*^*^ all the talk about evicting people? The marina is there to sell parking spots - why should they care if the boats sit as long as they sit on top of the surface and not underneath? Why do people care if the boat is used or not? Often times I go to the marina and sit in/on my boat without going anywhere - it's my oceanfront cabin. I have a pile of expensive machine tools at my house that rarely get used but bring me a tremendous amount of satisfaction knowing that if I want to, I can rebuild an engine or machine a new alternator mount for my boat. Who are we to judge ?
Having said all that (was that enough of a hiiy fit ?), I do question those people that pay 500 or 600 in moorage for a year when the boat itself appears to be worth less than that ... but then maybe it's an heirloom that somebody's dad sailed around the world.
I think the focus of the thread is on how the boat is maintained, not how it is used.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:48   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
If it really gets to the point where a viable option is to "dispose of it", is it legal to sail a boat offshore and scuttle it?
No. It would be an intentional violation of MARPOL Annex V. In the US, which would also apply to a US registered vessel the intentional discharge of plastic (which would include fiberglass hulls) counts as a Class D Federal Felony with a 5-10 year prison sentence, and a maximum fine of $500k.

Of course if you file an insurance claim for the scuttled vessel you also have to deal insurance fraud charges.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 13:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
No. It would be an intentional violation of MARPOL Annex V. In the US, which would also apply to a US registered vessel the intentional discharge of plastic (which would include fiberglass hulls) counts as a Class D Federal Felony with a 5-10 year prison sentence, and a maximum fine of $500k.

Of course if you file an insurance claim for the scuttled vessel you also have to deal insurance fraud charges.
Psshhhh... Who needs to scuttle a boat when you have an angry wife.

I found this boat last year in my neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	130996  
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:24   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Duly noted for apocalyptic scenarios
Good point. I should maintain a spreadsheet or something...

"So sir, you are looking for something in the 40 to 45 foot range, easily sailed by a couple, with very good provisions storage...? Let's see... Yes, I can help you, I have this delightful Ted Brewer on J4 that will suit your needs."
Old 11-09-2016, 14:25   #35

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm also being followed on CF by the same basement dwellers, seems like a very common phenom on the internet. Those who don't, like to "advise" those who do on how to do it properly.
Aw gee guys... Are you talking about me again? ;^)
Old 11-09-2016, 16:02   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

All boats live because someone dreams. If the dream or dreamer dies, the boat, if it is a real boat, slowly begins to sink. But why are we bothered by it? It is because we look at it through our own dreamer's eyes and value the sea (or lake) and the vessel and the experiences it offers so much. We are struck by the waste of something we deem precious but others don't, we take it personally. Some folks live day to day held together by a dream that is still not afloat, others have bought the physical craft, and live knowing the boat is there waiting for them. Then some perhaps never really had the dream in the first place. I hate to see beautiful boats being wasted because I know what I would like to do with them... but that's just me... If we find it disgusting that beautiful boats go unused or left to rot then what can we do? They are not breaking laws, and (hopefully) their boats aren't sinking and pulling our docks down with them. We are then left to try to inspire others, as we are, so they might see the waste we do or better yet see the boat as we do... but keep in mind, the boat is just a vessel for the dream, which is much bigger.... and participating here helps others with encouragement, validation and hope in realizing their dreams, and bringing life back to boats and marinas... and maybe to the dreamers...no?
ah, just rambling....
I took some friends out sailing yesterday, I pointed out a good boat that was for sale that went sailing by. One of my friends, not much experience but loving it, said he was really tempted. Another friend was really enjoying it till he became nauseous.
so, go figure
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 16:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

So how would they know your boat sank on purpose when it is sunk?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 20:56   #38

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

I have one of those trust-fund boats in the slip next to mine. It doesn't have a self-draining cockpit, nor a cockpit cover, so during the winter rainy season, so those of us near it let the management know when they need to come pump it out...
I asked, and they said it would be bigger problem sunk than to pump it out occasionally.

The 2 slips on the other side of me have 2 small boats each in them, owned (and sailed/rowed) by several of the local liveaboards. They go out more frequently than most of the boats on the dock.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I'm disgusted with the condition of some of these boats and the lack of maintenance by the owners.
This has been the case for decades now, at least (if not forever). Every marina that you go to will have a fair number of completely neglected boats. It is what it is, and it is not going to change. Accept it and move on.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:41   #40

In my neck of the woods a lot of people seem to be unrealistic about how they will actually use the boat, buy something way bigger than they need and it doesn't get used because of lack of crew.
In the marina where I'm docked the smaller boats under 27' get used far more than the bigger boats, the biggest one at 38.5' I haven't seen leave the dock all summer.
I personally have no desire to get a bigger boat until I'm fully retired and ready to go cruising. My 25 does me fine for evenings/weekends and maybe one week long cruise a summer if I'm lucky. LOL sailing for 46 years since I was 1 and have never owned a boat over 25'!
Would be different if I wasn't single, if I had found the permanent sailing partner I know I would own a bigger boat. Probably a C&C 29 as opposed to a 25....
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:05   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have never seen, or heard of a trust fund boat. There are many neglected boats in my Marina, I have decided the Panhandle of Fl is where old boats go to to die.
What is a trust fund boat? Are you saying a trust fund was set up to pay slip fees, or the owner receives a trust fund?

Being a Pilot type I have been around airports my entire life, in the last 20 or so years I began to notice derelict airplanes, you know the ones sitting on the ramp with flat tires and faded paint.
This is really more of a recent phenomenon, it was not that way back in the 60's and 70's. It is either old people who are too old to fly just won't turn loose of the dream of flying, or people that own can no longer afford it.
I believe its more of a no longer can afford it, but the kicker is the younger generation on average has a lot less desire to actually go out and do physical things that require you to get dirty, hot, tired and sore. they had rather "experience" it on their electronic devices that require none of that, or chase Pokemon.
Used to be younger people would pick up that older airplane / boat and with lots of sweat equity as opposed to cash, fix it up and have a decent boat / airplane.
On average the younger generation has no interest in sweat equity anymore.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:35   #42

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Many people are tinkerers. They dont actually want to sail just have something to do. Its weird. Maybe a fear factor of actually going out so they subconsciously tell themselves they cant untill they fix... This...
I get persued around this forum by a few nutters who are like that... And further justify themselves by telling ME i should not go anywhere. But i already have. I've done 1 circumnavigation whilst they tinker...

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm also being followed on CF by the same basement dwellers, seems like a very common phenom on the internet. Those who don't, like to "advise" those who do on how to do it properly.
I carry a gun for all the paranoids who are following me.
...oops, I shouldn't have said that .
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:41   #43

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I've been working at the marina for three days now, and as I learn all the docks in the 55 acre marina, I'm absolutely disgusted with some of the boats. Well I guess it's not the boats fault - I'm disgusted with the condition of some of these boats and the lack of maintenance by the owners.

Why have a big nice boat, and let it sit there rotting away?

Some of these boats have the Brazilian jungle growing on the bottoms, others have sat in the sun so long the paint has just faded completely away, and others are a nail hole away from sinking. Seriously!

There are yachts here that haven't seen their owners in YEARS. I swear, if I ever own a boat as nice as some of these, it will NEVER be this kind of neglected!
So if I may ask a question here. You said you were working at the marina. Do you have a boat now?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:53   #44

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
If a marina is full- you raise the rates. That's just business 101. has nothing to do with people using their boats or not
Pretty smug answer for not understanding the post.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It's kind of sad, but in places like SoCal, where the weather's always perfect, people use their boats less than in say New England. Where the sailing season's really short, & for a good portion of it the weather is still terrible for sailing by most standards.
That's because in California, you can go sailing any day you choose. There's no pressure, the sailing season is 12 months long. In New England, if you skip a weekend, you've missed 10% of the season.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote