Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 08:36   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: It's just disgusting...

I see this also. Where I'm now there are several boats like what you have described. Circumstances change. Eg. There are several boats here that were purchased by Cathay Pacific pilots when they were making loads of money, apparently they have lost their jobs, thus money, and now their boats are rotting. Their is a once lovely Warwick 47 rotting right behind, apparently owes the marina and contractors money and hasn't moved for years. Also their are several boats that are owned by people that once had mining or gas and oil jobs. That work has dryed up alot ,and driving a bus dosent pay the same, this is the story of the boat beside me. Life changes.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

For some, get a little extra cash it's the first thing you buy... lose some cash, it's the first thing you stop maintaining.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:37   #18

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
For some boats it comes down to simple math... It will cost X dollars to chop up and dispose of it, Y dollars to fix it, or Z dollars in us treasury bonds to keep paying for the slip. When Z<,X,Y it makes financial sense to just own it.

Disposing of old boats is expensive, and many slip rates are cheap.... Our marina has suffered from this for years.
If it really gets to the point where a viable option is to "dispose of it", is it legal to sail a boat offshore and scuttle it?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:44   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

We have an even stranger version of this at our club. Lots of good quality circumnavigation-capable boats that are never used but are kept in near perfect condition.

I am told they are usually owned by people so wealthy that the upkeep and marina fees are trivial, the important thing is "knowing they own a boat".

I actually find these boats more sad than their poor barnacle encrusted neighbours. There is something tragic about seeing a top quality boat in the prime of its life tethered to a dock, day after day after day. Knowing it will not even see a simple day sail on a sunny afternoon.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:13   #20

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
We have an even stranger version of this at our club. Lots of good quality circumnavigation-capable boats that are never used but are kept in near perfect condition.

I am told they are usually owned by people so wealthy that the upkeep and marina fees are trivial, the important thing is "knowing they own a boat".

I actually find these boats more sad than their poor barnacle encrusted neighbours. There is something tragic about seeing a top quality boat in the prime of its life tethered to a dock, day after day after day. Knowing it will not even see a simple day sail on a sunny afternoon.
Sounds like you've got the makings for a new Disney animated movie - "Cars" was a success. Why not "Boats"?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:16   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Sometimes health.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:29   #22

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Duly noted for apocalyptic scenarios
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:40   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

Many people are tinkerers. They dont actually want to sail just have something to do. Its weird. Maybe a fear factor of actually going out so they subconsciously tell themselves they cant untill they fix... This...
I get persued around this forum by a few nutters who are like that... And further justify themselves by telling ME i should not go anywhere. But i already have. I've done 1 circumnavigation whilst they tinker...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:55   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Many people are tinkerers. They dont actually want to sail just have something to do. Its weird. Maybe a fear factor of actually going out so they subconsciously tell themselves they cant untill they fix... This...
I get persued around this forum by a few nutters who are like that... And further justify themselves by telling ME i should not go anywhere. But i already have.

Mark
I'm also being followed on CF by the same basement dwellers, seems like a very common phenom on the internet. Those who don't, like to "advise" those who do on how to do it properly.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:56   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Marinas are the land of broken dreams. All marina's, well Ok, the marina's I've seen anyway, have about 40-50% of the boats that have not seen an owner in several years, some for 5 years or longer. It does get sad to see so many boats rotting away the years.

Most boats for sale have sat for years then get a quick detailing before the for sale photo's are taken. Or the photo's are from 10 years ago. It happens.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:08   #26

Boat: Westsail28

I like tinkers. Their boats are often in quite good shape. If the don't sail much, its fine with me. Their boats serve a purpose. Often they come up with novel solutions to problems. They're kind of McGivers in topsiders.
(I'm enjoying this thread. I'm somewhat surprised nobody has pitched a hissy fit; so far)
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:11   #27

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Seems like if the slip fees are current then it is a good deal for the marina as the facilities like marina showers and bathrooms, power, parking lots, dock water, etc. are not being used.

Probably good for the folks that use their yachts and marina facilities regularly as the marina is less crowded and there is less pressure to up the rates.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:21   #28

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Probably good for the folks that use their yachts and marina facilities regularly as the marina is less crowded and there is less pressure to up the rates.
If a marina is full- you raise the rates. That's just business 101. has nothing to do with people using their boats or not
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:33   #29
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by quill View Post
I like tinkers. Their boats are often in quite good shape. If the don't sail much, its fine with me. Their boats serve a purpose. Often they come up with novel solutions to problems. They're kind of McGivers in topsiders.
(I'm enjoying this thread. I'm somewhat surprised nobody has pitched a hissy fit; so far)
Ok, I'll throw a hissy fit

Sure it's sad but why the h*^*^ all the talk about evicting people? The marina is there to sell parking spots - why should they care if the boats sit as long as they sit on top of the surface and not underneath? Why do people care if the boat is used or not? Often times I go to the marina and sit in/on my boat without going anywhere - it's my oceanfront cabin. I have a pile of expensive machine tools at my house that rarely get used but bring me a tremendous amount of satisfaction knowing that if I want to, I can rebuild an engine or machine a new alternator mount for my boat. Who are we to judge ?
Having said all that (was that enough of a hiiy fit ?), I do question those people that pay 500 or 600 in moorage for a year when the boat itself appears to be worth less than that ... but then maybe it's an heirloom that somebody's dad sailed around the world.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:38   #30

Boat: Westsail28

I like tinkers. Their boats are often in quite good shape. If they don't sail much, its fine with me. Their boats serve a purpose. Often they come up with novel solutions to problems. They're kind of McGivers in topsiders.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote