Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2016, 22:06   #76

Boat: San Juan 23, DaySailer 17.
Re: It's just disgusting...

Both of My day sailors were rescue boats. The DS 1 sat in front of this Guys house for 5 years before I convinced Him to sell it. Serinity, My wooden Lightning sat in a barn for 20 years. The original owner's Son (aged 72), gave it to Me if I would come pick it up. It took Me 2 weeks to clean up the DS 1, it had a cockpit cover. The lightning is a work in progress.
And these will be the last project boats, I hope.
Old 14-09-2016, 03:21   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
I hear what the OP is saying about derelict boats, boats not being used, lack of maintenance and all of the justifications posted so far (except for the bickering that has started here...senseless, that).

Anyway, bought my first boat, a 24-foot 1964 N.J. Eastern Sea Skiff (clinker built) as a project boat way back then when I was a poor broke 26-year old sailor in the USN. "Kinda knew" what I was getting into (At least I thought I did....what a wake up call THAT was!). The boat was at a private dock and was pumping out every 3 minutes or so. Sitting at the same two docks on this property were 5 other boats, 3 of which were derelict. The 2 that were well maintained were used regularly (a 21-foot fiberglass sea skiff and a 1965 35-foot Chris Craft in beautiful condition).

Well, the owner of the boat that I was about purchase came down to the dock (I had not met or spoken with him before then as a friend of mine contacted him), and this elderly gentleman worked his was down the dock using a walker. Pulled out a chair for him to sit on the dock and we sat there and had a couple of beers and he told me that he was the original owner of the boat, told me some history and sea stories with the boat and handed me an envelope with all of the builder's drawings, adverts, logs, and quite a few photos. Both he and his wife cried as I handed over the $2K in cash and he signed the title to the boat over to me.

Owner of the dock was trying to get rid of derelict boats and told me that I had 30 days to move the boat. We worked out a deal that if he didn't see me improving the boat on a daily basis then I would leave. So he gave me 60 days to take into account my time underway with the Navy.

I spent two years rebuilding/restoring that boat at that same dock, learning valuable lessons about wooden boat repair and maintenance. When she was as finished as I could afford on USN salary, I called the PO up....his wife answered and I invited them for an evening cruise along the waterfront in Norfolk, Va. Informed that the PO had passed a few months previouslsy and she was not interested in a cruise and she had always hated competing with the boat and fishing.

The other derelict boats were eventually towed across the little inlet where we were at and put on the cheapest moorings available (engine blocks) and left to rot. The sunken remains of one of them can still be seen on Google Earth.

But back to my little "derelict boat". It had become derelict due to the PO's age and declining health and I was able to save it and sold it on a couple of years later, at a loss of course (but that's not the point), not all boats that become derelict is due to intentional neglect or lack of caring. Mine is just one boat's story...every boat out there has a story, a history. And yes, I'm a romantic that way.....
My boat has a similar story. 40 years old next month. Lost job forced sale and had sat at the dock unattended for several years with the previous owner. It suited my needs without being a burden financially. Now I have the most active boat in my marina. The Dockmaster kids with me about being the winner of the Most Sailed Boat Award. I sail more than the Sheriff. The stares and comments my boat gets are always a source of pride for a job well done. And so it begins | SailboatOwners.com Forums Not your average 40 year old though.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 16:46   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So if I may ask a question here. You said you were working at the marina. Do you have a boat now?
I do have a boat, but its only a little 18.5' bowrider/cruiser.

However, even though its on a trailer in dry storage, I run it weekly even if its not on the water, and keep it clean.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 16:53   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post
With all these derelict boats at marinas would it be possible to call the harbor master on a boat you liked, contact the owner and make a low offer for a great boat.

Sounds like an opportunity to me
I know of at least one sail boat like that in our marina. the mast has been taken down, and the windows were boarded up a long time ago. The owner quit paying slip fees and the marina assessed a lien on it. I've been told that I could have that boat for a few hundred dollars.

There's also a 43' Betram Sport Fisher that is on the hard and has been for over two years. Its also been boarded up. The owner has refused to pay for repair work done years and years ago, and so its sits - tied up in legal lien red tape.
Old 15-09-2016, 16:55   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post

What amazes me is the ability of many vessels to stay afloat when they receive absolutely no tlc.
I dont know about other marinas, but in ours if a boat takes on water, and the owner is non-responsive, it then falls on us to board the boat and run pumps. I dont know what happens after that thought since I haven't experienced it yet.
Old 15-09-2016, 17:46   #81

Boat: Westerly Sealord

There is neglect and then there is neglect.... everything is relative.....

The facade is impressive... out the back not so much so.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030340.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	131212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	131213  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.JPG.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	131214  
Old 15-09-2016, 18:39   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I do have a boat, but its only a little 18.5' bowrider/cruiser.

However, even though its on a trailer in dry storage, I run it weekly even if its not on the water, and keep it clean.
Well... it's a lot more expensive and a lot more hassle having a large boat in the water. I'm sure you do like a well maintained boat. Maybe these other owners bit off more than they could chew. If you were berthed beside some liveaboard that never leaves his slip and his dog craps on the dock, I would say you'd have a beef. Probably best not to look on others too far unless you've lived the part.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:59   #83

Boat: Alberg #0

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But, but, but, there is zero inflation, my Politician told me so.
If you want to find a solution to inflation, I would recommend reading up on Bitcoin. Solved my inflation problem a while back.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 19:34   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Probably best not to look on others too far unless you've lived the part.

There's boats of all sizes. Its not just the bigger boats.

There's a 24 or 26' Pursuit walk around fishing boat with two 200 outboard engines just rotting in the salt water. Its taking on water and the stern is already an inch under the water line and its just sitting there. It's full of mold and there's stuff growing off the props.

And truthfully, its the smaller boats that get me. There's a Chaparral 24' Signature cuddy cabin just sitting there. That's a trailer-able boat, but there it sits, in a slip, for over a year with no attention. I'm sure the outdrives are unsalvageable at this point.