Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 08:38   #46

Lol I might not know how to sail very well yet but I now learned not to question other sailers abilities ...touchy subject...
Old 17-09-2011, 08:39   #47

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: It starts with training .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
What a bunch of bs. My 1st sailboat was 42', my next was 70' , then 43, next was a 20' trailer sailor , now I'm on my 48' ketch. Ive had a few fishing boats in there too but we wont go into that. I sailed around the used to be FREE anchorage in San Diego in an El Toro and I've got a Montgomery and a sailing rig on my kayak. I never took a lesson in my life - not to say it wouldnt have helped. I learned my craft by doing it. Im still learning. I'm old school - always sailed old classics - new stuff doesnt interest me.
To each his own.
I agree with you. To each his own. Glad these guys weren't around Orville and Wilber. Their kind will never understand our kind.
Old 17-09-2011, 08:50   #48
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
I agree with you. To each his own. Glad these guys weren't around Orville and Wilber. Their kind will never understand our kind.

I wouldn't understand Wilbur and Orville doing what they did, as they did it, but in 2011.
Old 17-09-2011, 08:52   #49

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
... Glad these guys weren't around Orville and Wilber. ...
I would point out that before manned flight, the Wright bothers first did:
  • Experiments with kites
  • Experiments with small un-manned gliders
  • Flights with small manned gliders
Only after gaining experience from these steps did they ever attempt powered flight. To have done otherwise would have been foolish.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:06   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Domenic, I SAID a sextant won't work in a hurricane. I'm just not sure why you're misreading my posts ... but you are.
I didn't misread your post. I understood you know you could not use a sextant in such a storm...what I did read in your post was..."Hell, I don't know how I would find my position."

I have been in both hurrican, and what we call a typhoon in the Pacific.
After the typhoon. I stayed away from the water for five years. I would not even go to a beach.
During peroids of the typhoon (1956) I could not see because the salt spray felt like stones. I could not see waves coming my way. I sailed under bare poles by the movement of my boat. I could feel what she was doing, and understood her next move. I don't remember much of the storm, nor how I got back to Guam. I do remember the fear. I remember knowing what my boat was about to do by the feel of her movement.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:21   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i learned small---- very small, but i was the small one--age 7 i was taught "THE PROPER WAY" by a merchant mariner who sailed tallships in a 36 ft gaff rigged sloop on hudson river.
didnt own a dink to sail in until i had over3000 miles under keel.
dinks arent only way to learn how to sail.
rofl..many ways to learn to sail. these days, learning inm a dink in "organized" classes means taking out a gaggle of sabots with a bunch of kids and some yot club know it all screaming at you from a motorized boat every inch of the way. that is not learning to SAIL. sorry.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:22   #52

Domenic, no disrespect, I'm over sixty myself, but if you started by learning to sail a dinghy, took sailing courses and gained enough experience to sail thru a hurricane and then a typhoon in 1956, you must be somewhat over a hundred yrs old. Did they even have sailing schools when you started?
Old 17-09-2011, 09:27   #53

Quote:
Now there is a statment worth posting in the head.
What you call;
"Our kind," have been around since day one. if any of what you call, "Our kind," survive at sea, you will become, "Their kind."
It has always baffled those of us who are of their kind, know less then when we were part of the our kind group. Get my point?
Old 17-09-2011, 09:30   #54

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: It Starts with Training

Storms are fun! I'm like Capt. Dan on Forest Gump - up in the rigging yelling - bring it on! Is that all you got??!!
I did hurricane David in '79 in my 42' Crocker cutter. Had a typhoon come thru and wipe us all out while in Nam in '68. Been through a few bad ones out fishing on the tuna grounds - 60knt southerly blowing against a NW sea - like being inside a washing machine on heavy duty cycle!
Old 17-09-2011, 09:31   #55

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

This one is great!

Thanks all.

What kind of anchor you got D?
Old 17-09-2011, 09:41   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Now there is a statment worth posting in the head.
What you call;
"Our kind," have been around since day one. if any of what you call, "Our kind," survive at sea, you will become, "Their kind."
It has always baffled those of us who are of their kind, know less then when we were part of the our kind group. Get my point?

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:50   #57

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:

Don't feed the trolls.
Amen to that.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:51   #58
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
I didn't misread your post. I understood you know you could not use a sextant in such a storm...what I did read in your post was..."Hell, I don't know how I would find my position."

I have been in both hurrican, and what we call a typhoon in the Pacific.
After the typhoon. I stayed away from the water for five years. I would not even go to a beach.
During peroids of the typhoon (1956) I could not see because the salt spray felt like stones. I could not see waves coming my way. I sailed under bare poles by the movement of my boat. I could feel what she was doing, and understood her next move. I don't remember much of the storm, nor how I got back to Guam. I do remember the fear. I remember knowing what my boat was about to do by the feel of her movement.
In other words, you made up what you thought about me. Whatever.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:51   #59
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

thankyou, vintageray----perfect call.
is no THEIR kind and OUR kind atr sea. we all sailors trying to keep on keeping on and doesnt matter HOW ye learned, just that ye did .
some folks NEVER learn. and some are too rigid to try.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:52   #60

Quote:
Domenic, no disrespect, I'm over sixty myself, but if you started by learning to sail a dinghy, took sailing courses and gained enough experience to sail thru a hurricane and then a typhoon in 1956, you must be somewhat over a hundred yrs old. Did they even have sailing schools when you started?
I'm not over a hundred. I'm very near 76.
My first sailing lesson was with a 7’ round bottom sailing dingy. For the life of me I could not keep her from going over. Before I could get back into the boat, I had to push the transom down in order to get most of the water out of her. My efforts to re-board over the transom would again tip her over. It took three days, and many hours in the water before I had success. I had spent so much time in the water, my two big toe nails feel off. I did not like that. I learned to do everything to keep that 7’ dingy up right so I would not have to spend the rest of my life in the water. I learned to feel what she was going to do. I named the little boat, “Toe Nail.”
I'm not the best sailor. I don't even think I'm very good. So I live by a golden rule I will never break. "Never sail into anything you can't sail out of."
I have been getting my boat ready for one more crossing before I drop anchor.
Closed Thread