Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 06:33   #181
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Singlehanding >24 Hrs. Morally Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
If you have to ask, you'll never know why anyone would want to head offshore alone on a little boat

Though I'm starting to feel a little selfish not sharing the joy a bit more, maybe couchsurfing rather than the crew share places though. Show some people what's it's like who would be unlikely to get the chance otherwise.

Maybe one day...
It was not I.. it was Dockhead who asked the question then proceeded to answer it in his next post..
Pay attention to the thread not just the last thing posted.
If after all these years you have not noticed I'm a solo sailor except on deliveries somethings wrong with your attention span..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 07:25   #182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Is Singlehanding >24 Hrs. Morally Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I for one am so tired of people trying to legislate or push their ideas no matter how unsubstantiated they may be upon others. It always starts with "I FEEL" and then follows with what other people should not be allowed to do. I don't single hand, but I will not stand in the way of others who have the freedom to do as they please. Too many people feel that they know more than others and therefore have the right to tell them what to do. STOP IT!
So do you think there is zero chance of a singlehander increasing the risk of a collision with another vessel?

I know that clearly the answer is no, a boat (singlehanded or crewed) that isn't keeping a watch increases the risk and danger to other boats. Since that increases the risk to all other boaters then those boaters clearly have the right to express an opinion on the issue and whether or not that increase in risk is acceptable or not.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 07:38   #183
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If a risk is unacceptable then its time to stop single handing.. or stop sailing on crewed boats..
Risk is a fact of life.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-03-2018, 07:39   #184

In my experience single handers were involved in more incident/accidents than crewed boats on a per capita basis. I don't know if there is data to support my experiences or not but those are my experiences. I'm not suggesting that they were damaging other boats, mostly themselves, again in my experience. I can't really have anything negative to say about single handing as I've done it myself from time to time but it's something i had to do and not something I wanted to do, that and the fact that I'm not great at it and I'm not in love with my own company for days on end.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 07:44   #185
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
In my experience single handers were involved in more incident/accidents than crewed boats on a per capita basis. I don't know if there is data to support my experiences or not but those are my experiences. I'm not suggesting that they were damaging other boats, mostly themselves, again in my experience. I can't really have anything negative to say about single handing as I've done it myself from time to time but it's something i had to do and not something I wanted to do, that and the fact that I'm not great at it and I'm not in love with my own company for days on end.
So.. is it a case that singlehanders are more honest about their experiences..???

Old 24-03-2018, 07:53   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. is it a case that singlehanders are more honest about their experiences..???
Don't have a clue Boatie..maybe. Just in one corner of the Western Caribbean there were 3 single handers that ended up on the reefs last year, quite a few when you consider there are really not that many single handers. I guess it's like everything else there are real competent single handers and some not so much. I have a sense you probably belong in the first group and I'm probably in the second group, lol.
Old 24-03-2018, 08:08   #187
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hope no one is taking my tongue in cheek remarks to heart.
Its just that from my point of view singlehanders who do ocean passages are confident in their abilities (coastal harbour hoppers excluded) to operate and maintain their vessels unassisted from navigation to engines to dismastings and survive.. if not they would follow the route of the majority who post for crew.. Must have strong mechanical or navigational or boat/sail handling or cooking skills.. crew are for filling needs even if only for increased illusions of security..
As for boats on reefs in poorly charted waters methinks theres been a few crewed boats suffered the same fate.. a couple or three last year.
How often is one told to think outside the box yet everywhere one looks individuality is discouraged by the 'Team' mantra..
Or.. dont do as you think.. Do as I say..
Me Skipper.. You Crew..

Old 24-03-2018, 08:09   #188

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Don't have a clue Boatie..maybe. Just in one corner of the Western Caribbean there were 3 single handers that ended up on the reefs last year, quite a few when you consider there are really not that many single handers. I guess it's like everything else there are real competent single handers and some not so much. I have a sense you probably belong in the first group and I'm probably in the second group, lol. [emoji2]
Harumph. In my righteous world, I think it's immoral to sail singlehanded when one doesn't have a clue how to do it safely FWIW, "safely" does not imply there's no risk; it means it can be done in compliance with regulations....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 08:28   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Harumph. In my righteous world, I think it's immoral to sail singlehanded when one doesn't have a clue how to do it safely FWIW, "safely" does not imply there's no risk; it means it can be done in compliance with regulations....
Ha ha, I didn't say I wasn't safe as I believe I always am, I simply said I wasn't that good at it. I set that "good" bar quite high because I've seen some really good single handers in action..say someone like Alex Thomas on Hugo Boss. I simply suggested that I didn't fit into that group. I have managed to sail offshore for well over 35 years without any accidents so my personal concept of safety is backed up by performance. That of course and the fact that I like having company when at sea for long periods of time.
Old 24-03-2018, 08:56   #190
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

There is basis in the Colregs for suggesting that the long term singlehander cannot maintain an effective watch 24/7. No one disputes that. But is it immoral to singlehand because it may place other people at risk?
Only if it's going to in congested area boat area. For the most you never see anyone after out in the open except for entrances to a shipping type port.
Old 24-03-2018, 09:32   #191

Boat: Valiant 40

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." ~ Isaac Asimov

Is it morally wrong to single-hand? That's subjective, based on your own personal morality. Morals are personal. My morals do not prevent me from single-handing. Your morals might dictate that it is wrong, but that's not my business.

It is ethically wrong? Well that's a different discussion.

I feel just as safe if not more so when I single-hand as when I'm on a crewed boat, maybe safer. I'm up every 15 minutes to check. In some cases I'll go 20 minutes. If I'm way way out, a bit longer depending on the conditions. The issue is managing fatigue and alertness. Can that be done long term while "maintaining a proper watch"? No, it cannot. But by then you're so far out there that your risk is getting run over by something big, that may not even notice it ran you over.

When I'm on watch on a crewed boat I scan the horizon every 10 minutes. I know for a fact that most others do not do that. I've come on deck to find the on watch person asleep. or asked them when they last scanned the horizon and received a dumbfounded "Why would I do that?" look.

I hope Boatpoker and others that are convinced that it is morally wrong don't ever exceed the speed limit in their cars. It's statistically proven that exceeding the speed limit puts other motorists at substantially greater risk. Period.

Frankly, we all put ourselves and others people at risk almost every day, in the things we do, in the things we don't do. And as cruisers we do it a lot more than most by the simple act of being on a boat. If single handing is morally wrong, then so is cruising itself by the very same logic. It's just a matter of degree.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:32   #192
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It was not I.. it was Dockhead who asked the question then proceeded to answer it in his next post..
Pay attention to the thread not just the last thing posted.
If after all these years you have not noticed I'm a solo sailor except on deliveries somethings wrong with your attention span..
The answer wasn't actually directed at you, but to all those who need to ask in the first place....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:42   #193

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Morally...hmmm... it's been a long time since my philosophy classes.
It's probably morally wrong to ride a bike while inebriated; no one would pass a law allowing it either... but the risk is far greater to the bicyclist. I would propose that the degree of immorality increases with the cube of the velocity and mass of the vehicle.
I hope none of my philosophy profs are reading this.. they may take back that "C" I got.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:47   #194
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Why do people sail solo over long distances?
To prove something?
To escape from something?
No idea, it never appealed to me, or made any sense.
Obviously more risk if you get sick or have an accident onboard. (Or fall overboard)
Also in violation of the COLREGS.
A proper look out is not only to avoid colliosion, but also to look for emergency signals from vessels in distress. (Rafts, life boats included)
Old 24-03-2018, 09:51   #195
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
... and others that are convinced that it is morally wrong don't ever exceed the speed limit in their cars. It's statistically proven that exceeding the speed limit puts other motorists at substantially greater risk. Period....
Thank you for for pointing out the obvious. I think the discussion comes down to whether the poster has ever singlehanded and whether that was a good experience for them. The increased risk due to moderate speeding is morally acceptable because we like getting there in less time. Careful singlehanding is no different, an the risk to others obviously less.

Tags
single, singlehanding