Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 22:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Is private vessel tracking public record?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yes, I think you can see five of them on Marinetraffic.... as 'tugs and special craft'.

They don't seem to be passing on any information to Marinetraffic... few if any port authorities and government bodies do....

If you go into MT you will see that all the 'targets' in the Galapagos are via satellite ... not via a shore station...
I have no idea if there are any marinetraffic ground stations there. The Sats may be picking up the repeater data, as well as some directly.

Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 23:07   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I occasionally sign up for the monthly single-vessel satellite reception option at marinetraffic.com (around $16 per month), so I can track a particular boat as it makes an ocean passage. A couple of weeks ago the boat I was following (Japan to Seattle, Class-B transponder, variety unknown) was giving me very spotty satellite coverage -- sometimes nothing for a few days, and sometimes a report every few hours.

This performance has been pretty typical for the Class-B boats I've tracked over the last couple of years. It does seem to be worse when the boat is near heavy commercial shipping areas, which is what I would expect from the system.

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 23:14   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Not unusual for AIS to show boats traveling 60 mph on highways. ... Except for ships, AIS is very incomplete. AIS can be a useful tool, but eyeballs and radar are better than relying solely on AIS.
Old 24-07-2018, 03:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I occasionally sign up for the monthly single-vessel satellite reception option at marinetraffic.com (around $16 per month), so I can track a particular boat as it makes an ocean passage. A couple of weeks ago the boat I was following (Japan to Seattle, Class-B transponder, variety unknown) was giving me very spotty satellite coverage -- sometimes nothing for a few days, and sometimes a report every few hours.

This performance has been pretty typical for the Class-B boats I've tracked over the last couple of years. It does seem to be worse when the boat is near heavy commercial shipping areas, which is what I would expect from the system.
Hard to get info on how it works but they seem to be using LEOs... mid ocean the delay in update seems to be a few minutes to an hour or two... for A and B

The delay issue seems to affect Class A in heavy traffic areas as well.... I've just been looking at the area offshore from Hong Kong.... lots of commercial traffic not updated for 12 hours or so.

System overload?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 03:52   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Could be very useful, if you were a Somalia pirate.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 03:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Could be very useful, if you were a Somalia pirate.

Pete
When I had the 14 day trial I looked at the Gulf of Aden.... most of the ships had the notation 'armed guard embarked' in their AIS transmission...
Old 24-07-2018, 04:42   #22

Boat: 2004 Lagoon 410S2

hello all,
we have active AIS on our current boat where we not only receive but transmit as well. We are currently cruising the north east coast of Australia. Personally I find the current advantages far outweigh any disadvantages, of which I cannot think of one.
While I know many of my cruising friends only receive AIS signals I personally have found it very much advantagious in heavy shipping areas to be seen and identified as a sailing vessel. I have found it comforting to be called by boat name by a commercial vessel to be advised of their intention or to ask our intention. Its also a great facility for family and friends to watch our progress. We found it eases some concern certain family members may have when we are at sea.
In saying that we also have the capacity to go silent should we feel we do not wish to be seen and with early plans to head to Indonesia next year I think this is a wise precaution.

Greg H
Blue Pointer
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 11:44   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

OK, what am I missing here. If I look for my boat on marine traffic apparently I'm still in the Seychelles, yet I'm in Madagascar.

I could see friends boats in Mayotte last week yet could not see another friend sailing from the Seychelles?
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 14:53   #24

Dunno but I can see a 13 hour old position of an Australian yacht off Mahajanga - presumably when it passed out of range of the shore station up the coast... also an unidentified 'position by satellite' at Mahajanga.

15 meters... call sign VM33** (don't want to get in trouble again identifying yachts like I did the other day ... )
Old 24-07-2018, 15:14   #25

The coveridge of it is spotty. I think most sites are volenteer shore based systems that freely upload to the net. So only if you are in Their range will yiu get picked up. There are hundreds of ais targets in my city. But lots of places marine traffic does not pick up boats.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 15:44   #26

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Any way to anonymize the identifier substitute a different boat name / owner.

Hard to believe the superyacht set lets the world know where they are when aboard.
IMO needs to find a way to do this....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 16:05   #27

IMO would close Marinetraffic down if they could figure out how.....
Old 24-07-2018, 17:33   #28

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
AMAZING information, thanks everyone!!

Is there any estimate on what % of private vessels constantly transmit their location? Is it most of them, like 90% or do only a view private boats transmit constantly via AIS?
I had thought all ocean going yachts would, but we recently sailed from Dominica to St. Kitts and almost all the boats we came across did not appear on our AIS. If it wasn't for the one that did, I'd have thought our equipment broken. It's bizarre that they would have the equipment but choose not to broadcast their position, maybe they paranoid. All the commercial ships showed up.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:36   #29

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

We have an AIS ground station on our house. It covers St. Barths to 100 miles North East of Anguilla, uploads the data to Marinetraffic.com
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:40   #30

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

One question was about how many boats transmit AIS. My general experience is that all sailboats >38 ft in length almost always are transmitting when offshore, and most are transmitting when inside the COLREGS line as well. Smaller boats and motorboats, not as much.

AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
record