Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 20:24   #1

Is it possible to sail entire Caribbean with no night sailing?

Starting from Florida, is it possible to sail the entire Caribbean (all the way to Grenada) by never doing any night sailing?

i.e. Are there islands that are close enough to go from one to the next, never needing more than 12 hours of daylight sailing time?

Obviously, lack of wind could be an issue, but even if one had to motor the entire way, is this possible? Or is there a certain stretch that's pretty far (Turks and Caicos to DR?) that will most likely take more than 12 hours of light?
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 06:44   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Is it possible to sail entire Caribbean with no night sailing?

Maybe, but I don't think I would try planning my sailing around avoiding night sailing. When I cross the gulf stream, I always go at about midnight, give or take depending on weather and wind. That puts me in the Bahamas when the sun is high enough in the sky to see the bottom. I would be much more concerned with arriving somewhere at dusk or even late afternoon when I can't get a good read on the bottom.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:07   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
Starting from Florida, is it possible to sail the entire Caribbean (all the way to Grenada) by never doing any night sailing?

i.e. Are there islands that are close enough to go from one to the next, never needing more than 12 hours of daylight sailing time?

Obviously, lack of wind could be an issue, but even if one had to motor the entire way, is this possible? Or is there a certain stretch that's pretty far (Turks and Caicos to DR?) that will most likely take more than 12 hours of light?
TR to DR would be pretty hard to do without some night sailing. You would run the risk of arriving after dark and although people do it, I would avoid that. After arriving in DR, you would need to wait for a VERY CALM LONG weather window if you don't plan to use the night lees. That kind of window is a once in a season kind of thing.

Your next challenge would be the mona passage. Its hard to stage in DR somewhere close enough. Although not impossible. Good planning on the southern route and its definately possible, but logistically difficult.

The next big one is the "Anegada Passage". At 75 miles it would be tough to do it completely in daylight. It has a reputation for being a terrible passage (and its always kicked my arse). If you could average over 6.5 knots then you "could" do it completely in the light. Thats pretty unlikely though as wind and wave are almost always in front of you.

So to sum up.. While its technically possible, I think its highly improbable and adds unnecessary risk (i.e. arriving at an unkown port after dark). Its just safer and easier to leave in the night and have a good cushion for arriving before dark.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:10   #4

Quote:

With a fast enough boat, 10 knots at least, and with good planning, yeah, you could. You’ll pay a lot with stopping twice in the DR.
Old 15-08-2018, 07:11   #5

Not really, but almost. There aren't that many overnighters. A few you may have to depart in the dark to arrive in the light sometimes.
potential overnighters:
-Turks and Caicos to DR
-DR to Puerto Rico
-Grenada to Trini

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:20   #6

Quote:

If you are not comfortable or capable enough to sail at night, this is NOT the trip for you. Stay in Florida until you develop the skills you need. SERIOUSLY.

Anytime you leave or arrive at an anchorage in a coral reef area before 9AM
or after 3PM you will not be able to see the bottom because of sun glare on the water. Eyeball navigation in many of these anchorages is REQUIRED. So your actual sailing "daylight day" can be as short as 6 hours...not twelve.

Also, in many places you have the choice: Beat your brains out upwind during the day pounding close hauled into the teeth of the tradewinds, or have a calm and quiet sail overnight in the lee of the island. (I am thinking most dramatically of the south coast of Puerto Rico here!) Being at anchor before noon will make your progress upwind (and this trip is almost all upwind!) much more pleasant.

I would strongly recommend the book "Passages South"

https://amzn.to/2w88WJH

The author is a crusty old salt, and the book is not the best edited text I have ever read, but it is full of good, detailed, and useful information that we have found invaluable for making our way eastward through the western Caribbean Islands without wishing you were somewhere else!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:05   #7

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Don't be afraid of night sailing though... it's spectacular and relaxing and less trafficked and full of endless stars and time to think and cool wind in your nose and hot coffee in your belly.....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:13   #8

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

It's easy. ............
If you sail fast enough.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:17   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you are not comfortable or capable enough to sail at night, this is NOT the trip for you. Stay in Florida until you develop the skills you need. SERIOUSLY.

Anytime you leave or arrive at an anchorage in a coral reef area before 9AM
or after 3PM you will not be able to see the bottom because of sun glare on the water. Eyeball navigation in many of these anchorages is REQUIRED. So your actual sailing "daylight day" can be as short as 6 hours...not twelve.

Also, in many places you have the choice: Beat your brains out upwind during the day pounding close hauled into the teeth of the tradewinds, or have a calm and quiet sail overnight in the lee of the island. (I am thinking most dramatically of the south coast of Puerto Rico here!) Being at anchor before noon will make your progress upwind (and this trip is almost all upwind!) much more pleasant.

I would strongly recommend the book "Passages South"

https://amzn.to/2w88WJH

The author is a crusty old salt, and the book is not the best edited text I have ever read, but it is full of good, detailed, and useful information that we have found invaluable for making our way eastward through the western Caribbean Islands without wishing you were somewhere else!
Excellent advice!
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:34   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

No, not in a typical cruising boat.

Read billknny's advice above.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:43   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Why on earth would you want to do that? You have no idea what you’re missing.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:47   #12

Boat: Boatless

The bigger question for the OP is why?

On a cruising sailboat with 5-7 knot average speed the answer is no.

That being said night passages are the best in my opinion particularly when timed to allow good light for anchoring in an unfamiliar anchorage, clearing customs or navigating a tricky entrance.

The LAST thing you want to do is enter say Luperon as the last rays of the sun disappear.

Food for thought :-)

If you are trying to convince your better half that it can be done with no overnights do not to it! You’ll never hear the end of it first time you find yourself out there at 10pm with 10 hours ahead of you!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 08:48   #13

To amend my answer, Doable, yes. Lots of people do it.

But, it's a valid point, that sailing into unfamiliar harbors at dark, or as the sun is setting, is usually a lot more dangerous than sailing in open waters at night.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:54   #14

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
What Billknny said.

Do you even have a sailboat? Or are you just dreaming and typing questions?
Old 15-08-2018, 13:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
What Billknny said.

Do you even have a sailboat? Or are you just dreaming and typing questions?
I'm in the planning phase to buy a sailboat soon and was just wondering about sailing in 'stages' such as only during the day for awhile, then getting more comfortable with sailing at night, etc. -- hence the question. But now realize the dangers of arriving at a port at night (or late in the day) and not having visibility to spot reefs, etc.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, sail, sailing