Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2016, 10:48   #76

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

I wasn't going to jump on until I saw Cait's entry about "another women's site". I too joined it hoping to get something a little more to my liking. I also formally left it after a week. "Resigned" as it were. I made two comments during that week and was jumped on thoroughly for not being politically correct. I don't remember the first but the second was that some people were acting like children. OMG I got 25 comments on how children don't act that way, how could I? I left. Nothing wrong with that site, lots love it. I had a bad experience.

I am on CF and any other site that will help me learn what the hell I'm doing on this boat. Can I do it better, cheaper, faster, SAFER? I don't get involved in the political discussions and the first time (or maybe second time) I see "*******", I usually bow out. It's bound to devolve into a sandbox fight. (i.e. Gil and his boat). If I see a newbie and I'm drinking my coffee I'll welcome them. If their question bores me, I don't answer. If the question is way over my head and it's about electric I ignore it because I'M READING A BOOK ON THAT SUBJECT AND DON'T WANT INCORRECT INFO.

What we're exchanging here is opinions. I'm not going to rewire my boat based on what I read here, but I definitely will go and research more on what I read here about electrics. Opinions. And each of us is entitled to one.

I like it here, I'm staying.

Old 13-02-2016, 10:49   #77

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy4Jesus View Post
I am a total newbee, a wannabe, trying to decide if I really want to be. What I see and why I just read and not ask questions and do not read nearly as thoroughly as I did earlier. First the reply that the question should not be asked because it has been answered before and we should know or use the specialized search feature and read all previous threads. If I wanted to read and search I would read and search. If I want advice from an experienced friend or friendly forum I'll just ask. If you don't want to reply or read repetitive post couldn't you just move on quietly.

2nd. You are stupid for not knowing the answer. Saw a guy ask if you could connect 2 or more mono hulls to make a trimaran to live on if not sail. Guy literally told him he was stupid for not knowing that it would not work. I had similar thoughts occasionally and was really glad I did not ask. Made me decide this was not a good place to ask questions.

3rd Somebody tells you what they want to accomplish and asks for specific info like interesting visiting points and instead gets a whole thread on why the idea can not work. The OP even commented that he was not to the point of researching viability just wanted to know if there were places worth visiting. Instead he got a thread on unlicensed or unwanted ventures in Thailand. This seems to occur a lot.

Conclusion. I am neither smart enough or experienced enough to have a solution but there is an old Kindergarten rule that I think would be useful. If you can not say something nice (AKA kind and helpful) then say nothing at all. I doubt my opinion has any value but it is the honest impression of a new to the forum outsider. By the way I have read numerous motorcycle forums and have not seen these issues.

Thanks! You and I share the same opinion. I think even a newbie's questions should be valued because frankly, everyone here was a newbue's at one time. As newbies, we came here looking for wisdom.

I particularly feel sorry for several guys in the past few months who wrote about their dreams if buying a boat and living aboard. The crap they took from members was appalling!

And I guess it's no surprise to me that one of the worst offenders is actually commenting on this post saying people should be nice. As my mom used to say "it takes all kinds to make a world"..

Old 13-02-2016, 10:50   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ok.

Man that chick in the corner is really hot. I wonder if she prefers mono, cat or tri? What size anchor do you think she likes?

Are we still sure we want to pretend this is a bar full of sailors?
The point is that it takes all sorts to make a world , and , though you may despise that sort of talk , you have to accept it.
The alternative is massive censorship.Or,to join a forum where only the right sort of chaps have discussions about highbrow subjects.
I would suggest that this is a sailing forum and that some people would take exception to someone looking down their nose at others.

I'm with Boatman 61 and Oldragbaggers
Old 13-02-2016, 10:53   #79

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I wasn't going to jump on until I saw Cait's entry about "another women's site". I too joined it hoping to get something a little more to my liking. I also formally left it after a week. "Resigned" as it were. I made two comments during that week and was jumped on thoroughly for not being politically correct. I don't remember the first but the second was that some people were acting like children. OMG I got 25 comments on how children don't act that way, how could I? I left. Nothing wrong with that site, lots love it. I had a bad experience.

I am on CF and any other site that will help me learn what the hell I'm doing on this boat. Can I do it better, cheaper, faster, SAFER? I don't get involved in the political discussions and the first time (or maybe second time) I see "*******", I usually bow out. It's bound to devolve into a sandbox fight. (i.e. Gil and his boat). If I see a newbie and I'm drinking my coffee I'll welcome them. If their question bores me, I don't answer. If the question is way over my head and it's about electric I ignore it because I'M READING A BOOK ON THAT SUBJECT AND DON'T WANT INCORRECT INFO.

What we're exchanging here is opinions. I'm not going to rewire my boat based on what I read here, but I definitely will go and research more on what I read here about electrics. Opinions. And each of us is entitled to one.

I like it here, I'm staying.

Wow! Redhead, not sure what site you joined but the one I'm on has none of that nonsense. Like you, I am staying on this site mostly for the views of other female sailors. But sometimes, wading thru the crap becomes tiring...
Old 13-02-2016, 11:04   #80
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post
Wow! Redhead, not sure what site you joined but the one I'm on has none of that nonsense. Like you, I am staying on this site mostly for the views of other female sailors. But sometimes, wading thru the crap becomes tiring...
This is where the PM/Comment facility comes in useful.. someone posts something you you'd like to know more about just PM them with the question or post on their comments board..
drop the box is on their avatar name..
I often get pointed questions on boating.. either that way or via the Thanks link...
****... I just got anecdotal.. again..

Born To Be Wild
Old 13-02-2016, 11:16   #81

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I don't come to the "bar" as much as I used to. Got PC slapped too many times by people that don't get my sense of humor.

I'll check in to see if anything is going on with the other "Bucketeers," but I usually don't post.

There was a time when Atoll and I would do some troll hunting, but I kept getting told that isn't playing nice, so we had to stop. Still following his build report though, and Salty Monkey makes me laugh.

I tried subscribing to some of the "Make Money While Cruising" threads, but they always get taken over by the stock market trolls.

The arguments here aren't much different than other forums: mono/multi, deep/shoal, AK/AR, EFI/carb, Ford/Chevy, Bigger is Better/KISS, etc.

I just spend more time in another "sailing bar" that is small boat friendly and very civil.
Old 13-02-2016, 11:27   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I just read through this entire thread while waiting for some surfacing putty to dry on a bit of cosmetic work I'm doing on my deck. I'm all for function, but I do devote a little time for "pretty too". I guess I feel the same way about the Cruisers Forum. I'm all for function and I hope it could be pretty too.

Ah well, 'back to my deck job. I'll end up with something like the Cruisers Forum when I finish. At close inspection I'll see all the imperfections, but when I step far enough back, it can look pretty good.
Old 13-02-2016, 11:29   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Recently there seems to be more arguments than information in the posts. There was a time not that long ago when the hands on advice came from Cruisers passing on their experience, lately the laudest voice seems to be from keyboard worriers who parotphraze someone else written theory from the 70s or an out and out troll looking for a stupid argument. It's not helpful, especially for the newbee or even the experienced looking for help or conformation. What's the Answer?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Its a good thing that you can spell your words correct because that is something the haters will jump on in a skinny minute !!
Old 13-02-2016, 11:52   #84

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

CF has answered a ton of questions for me after being off the water for twenty years. Useful and amazingly helpful as I work on getting ready to cast off my lines.

I have a habit of looking to see how many post a person has put up and then the amount of years they have been on this forum. Just saying Thousands of posts doesn't leave much time for sailing IMO.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:17   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
Just saying Thousands of posts doesn't leave much time for sailing IMO.
Unless someone is already living and cruising on a boat, then there are plenty of time. Just saying....

15 years ago you would be right. Now with cell 3g or 4g internet, being connected from a boat is no big deal. Some of us, use it to work from boats too. Nothing like making money from a quiet anchorage.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:25   #86

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have found that in life there is always someone who needs to relieve their sense of self-loathing by sharing it. Wish it weren't so. Only solution is to ignore it and move on. Do not add fuel to the fire. That is what they want. The anonymity of the internet provides fertile ground for such people.
I like some debates. Mono vs Cat is legitimate. Differences of opinions are OK. What ever happened to good manners? I think that is a song.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:25   #87
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... beers getting warm in the bar..lolol
.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Noooooo
Old 13-02-2016, 12:26   #88
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
CF has answered a ton of questions for me after being off the water for twenty years. Useful and amazingly helpful as I work on getting ready to cast off my lines.

I have a habit of looking to see how many post a person has put up and then the amount of years they have been on this forum. Just saying Thousands of posts doesn't leave much time for sailing IMO.
You'd be surprised...!!

Born To Be Wild
Old 13-02-2016, 12:34   #89

I am fairly new to this forum and have often times wondered why I continue to be so fascinated by the controversy surrounding the diversity of opinion found here.

I have only started one thread, but I made it quite clear that I wanted current real time responses to a specific question...and the responses were positive, current, personal, and gave me the information necessary to make a decision.

When people get off topic it is not always a bad thing; sometimes a conversation takes a different course, sometimes it stays on topic. The OP always has the option to re-direct or ask the comments to stay on topic. That is what I would do...if people become offensive, either ignore them, ask them to please refrain or as a last resort hit the panic button. I made a couple of mistakes here and realized I was being rude and in one case apologized. It is easy to get along with 99% of people.

We are not all alike, nor should we expect everyone to share our ideals of behavior, but this is a world wide forum, and I for one find all the comments interesting at worst and informative at best. To expect people to conform to one standard of thought and behavior, is, to me, even more offensive than the occasional nasty divisive comment.

To any women feeling that they don't belong or are being excluded from a boys club, I say you are hanging around with the wrong people. I have never witnessed that and there are a lot of women sailors, boat owners, and accomplished females here in the PNW, from Oregon to Alaska. It would not occur to me to judge someone by anything other than their skill, knowledge or competency.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone even pays attention to my observations or advice, and then I will get a thank you or some small nicety, and it all becomes worthwhile.

Focus on the positive, excuse the negative, for I think we all mean well...or at the very least are looking for some sort of validation. We share one thing in common...we are all human.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:41   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You'd be surprised...!!
Unless, of course, one were to multiply number of by posts by 10 [or thereabouts] to arrive at miles!!??

LOL! :]

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: