Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 09:58   #1

Is C02 causing a greening of our ocean's?

Having seen a documentary of a reef system off the south west of Papua Guinea I realized that increased C02 does cause an increase in aquatic bottom weed growth.

Along the coral reef system there was at one end a section where C02 was being forced up from the oceans floor in columns of C02 gas. The gas columns were caused by subterranean volcanic activity.

The documentary showed how this massive exposure to C02 caused substantial changes to the reef within close proximity to the gasious release. It killed off particular kinds of reef growth but surprise, surprise. The reef adapted and produced a sponge looking coral that replaced the flowery looking coral.

What was also surprising with this super exposure to C02 was that within close proximity and inly a few metres away from the gasious outflows the coral was full of the traditional multi colored flowering coral.

At ine stage in the documentary the camera panned away from the C02 affected coral and it showed a sea floor covered in lush heavily fish populated, thick grass. The commentator observed this sea growth was in the area affected directly by C02 and not in the unafected area. The commentator then moved in to say how damaging C02 was.

The documantary was trying to show the damage C02 has on the oceans. The reverse happened. It showed how adaptive natural coral systems are and that in fact C02 increases fish populated greening.

Given that it is a consensus amongst scientists that increased C02 levels in the atmosphere have a greening affect, causing super growth of plants are we goung to see an increase in sea green grass and plankton growth?

Are we observing the amazing rebalabcing and adaptive nature of our biosphere called earth?

What affect will the increased greenary including ibcreased plankton growth have on Whale populations?

What an amazing planet we live on.

Chaya
Old 14-09-2016, 11:22   #2

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Re: Is C02 causing a greening of our ocean's?

Overall warmer temperatures result in decreased solubility of gases in water. So while some co2 may increase growth, the reduction in dissolved oxygen in the water would be far more detrimental to more species.
Old 14-09-2016, 11:39   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I have not noticed any greening in the short period I have been around (about 40 years, for the ignoranti). Maybe something is noticeable in the longer run, say 100 or 200 years? Clearly where a volcanic event takes place, a localized effect will be obvious.

What I have noticed is huge increase in pollution, both liquid and solid and dramatic decrease in marine life amount and variety. I think pollution & overfishing are huge factors in what we are doing to the oceans.

CO2 likely has some effect, as you said, but I have not seen this effect with my naked eyes.

b.
Old 14-09-2016, 13:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have not noticed any greening in the short period I have been around (about 40 years, for the ignoranti). Maybe something is noticeable in the longer run, say 100 or 200 years? Clearly where a volcanic event takes place, a localized effect will be obvious.

What I have noticed is huge increase in pollution, both liquid and solid and dramatic decrease in marine life amount and variety. I think pollution & overfishing are huge factors in what we are doing to the oceans.

CO2 likely has some effect, as you said, but I have not seen this effect with my naked eyes.

b.
Barnakiel, I think you are right. Particularly the overfishing. The deep blue ocean fleets have industrialized fishing and are ruining the oceans breeding grounds from the Antarctic to the Arctic. Polution of chemicals and plastics ranks 2nd in my opinion. Mercury and other heavy metals in particular.

Plastics are also not very pleasant in the eco chain. They are a well known carcinogen which may cause tumor growth in fish after digestion.

What I found interesting was the film showed extreme amounts of C02 streaming in columns of gas upwards to the waters surface. It had a direct effect on the nature of the cora immediately surrounding these gases underwater columns but had zero negative effect on coral a few yards/meters away.

This shows that for C02 levels in the oceans to have a serious effect on coral it would have to be in gigantic numbers.

What was also very interesting is the positive effect it had. Lush forest of thriving sea grass. Little wonder commercial green houses pump C02 into their greenhouses to increase rapid plant growth.
Old 14-09-2016, 13:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
Overall warmer temperatures result in decreased solubility of gases in water. So while some co2 may increase growth, the reduction in dissolved oxygen in the water would be far more detrimental to more species.
Do not forget that plants also generate oxygen. More green leaved plants the more oxygen is being created.
Old 14-09-2016, 13:26   #6

Boat: 41' yawl

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earth_temperature_timeline.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	131161  
Old 14-09-2016, 13:35   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

...Just to point out that the resiliency you are inferring,

"surprise, surprise. The reef adapted..."

"The reverse happened. It showed how adaptive natural coral systems are and that in fact C02 increases fish populated greening"

Hasn't really stood up to the test of time, so to assume it'll all be good, stop worrying about CO2, doesn't make a ton of sense.

There's lots of evidence to suggest that human civilization can't exist outside of a pretty delicate balance. Me, I think it's worth paying attention to how our actions affect our planet. But I suppose we could take Exxon Mobile's recent advice:

"You don't need to think about the energy that makes our lives possible, because we do. We're Exxon Mobile, and powering the world responsibly is our job."

Old 14-09-2016, 13:48   #8

Old 14-09-2016, 13:49   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Here we go again...

Ayn Rand
Old 14-09-2016, 13:52   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I would like to hear more real discussion of what we are actually going to do when food supplies become more unbalanced with regard to $$ and geography. In other words:

1. Canadian farmers will do just fine. Other areas will be bad, and many of those will be too poor to buy food. They will want to move to where the food is. In other words, we will see increased migration pressure in order to adapt.
  2. Folks ought to have enough sense to stop developing low lying areas and start moving uphill. Just sayin'. The zoning folks needs to look at sea level projections and down-zone low areas.
And yes, working CO2 is important. I think it is clear it will not be enough. So we need to face what "adapting" will mean. If we think CO2 limits are painful, migration pressures and the impacts will be worse.

IMO
Old 14-09-2016, 14:07   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Yes, because CO2 levels > population levels when it comes to discussing food shortages.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-09-2016, 14:12   #12

Your myth writers should stay with writing comic book fantasy. Since when was the first human know an Egyptian. Politically inspired historical revisionism I would say.

So given your cartoon writers twisted history on their time line, what else have they twisted?

Propoganda for those with the mentality of a child.
Old 14-09-2016, 14:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I would like to hear more real discussion of what we are actually going to do when food supplies become more unbalanced with regard to $$ and geography. In other words:

1. Canadian farmers will do just fine. Other areas will be bad, and many of those will be too poor to buy food. They will want to move to where the food is. In other words, we will see increased migration pressure in order to adapt.
  2. Folks ought to have enough sense to stop developing low lying areas and start moving uphill. Just sayin'. The zoning folks needs to look at sea level projections and down-zone low areas.
And yes, working CO2 is important. I think it is clear it will not be enough. So we need to face what "adapting" will mean. If we think CO2 limits are painful, migration pressures and the impacts will be worse.

IMO
Walls are the answer. Big walls make effective population movement barriers.

Funny thing though that people are moving from highly fertile areas in middle South America to paved cities in the North Americas. How does that fit with your farming based population movement theory?
Old 14-09-2016, 14:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Old 14-09-2016, 14:21   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Walls are the answer. Big walls make effective population movement barriers.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. I hope so.
Closed Thread