Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 15:49   #1
Registered User
 
asistephen's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Is a hans 33 big enough

Hi all, I thought I knew what boat I wanted but Iv seen something smaller and wondering if itís big enough for sailing the world. Itís a full keel Hans 33 . My 1st choice was a super maramu but Iím now wondering if the smaller full keel Hans would be ok. As smaller has a lot of other benefits too. Iíll be sailing the Atlanticís at some point . Iíd welcome your thoughts please.
__________________

asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 15:57   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 6,798
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

That depends on how much room you think you need
__________________

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 16:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 6,709
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Have you compared the waterline between these? You are gonna spend a lot longer on passage with the short waterline.
__________________
Paul
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 16:06   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,204
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asistephen View Post
Hi all, I thought I knew what boat I wanted but Iv seen something smaller and wondering if itís big enough for sailing the world. Itís a full keel Hans 33 . My 1st choice was a super maramu but Iím now wondering if the smaller full keel Hans would be ok. As smaller has a lot of other benefits too. Iíll be sailing the Atlanticís at some point . Iíd welcome your thoughts please.
I find it very hard to imagine a world where the two choices left are a Hans Christian 33 and an Amel Super Maramu 53... Those are two are so very, very different in just about every way two cruising boats can be.

Neither one of them are bad boats. In fact, they are both great boats. But it is like buying a car and getting stuck on the final decision between a Mini Cooper or a full sized pickup truck.

Honestly, if those are your final choices it strikes me that your decision process might be more impulsive than logical.

But... to answer your exact question, an HC 33 is a great boat for sailing the world. It is not about size. There are much smaller boats that would also be good, and much bigger ones I would not take out of a bay. Is it as comfortable and capable a boat as a Super Maramu? No, but it is technically capable of doing what you ask.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 02:56   #5
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 15,160
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Be sure to sail one first. A friend of ours who had one found it was a bear on a beam reach, from too much weather helm. His thoughts were that the mast was not in quite the right place in the boat. But relocating the mast is a huge job.

There are many other boats in the 33-40 foot range that are eminently capable of a circumnavigation. You might want to check out some other options. For instance, the Hans Christian sure has a lot of teak to varnish. You rather go sailing, or put on many coats of varnish?

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:29   #6
Registered User

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton
Posts: 23
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Has the Hans 33 got a bowsprit? If not maybe that would correct weather helm. I have had a long keel yacht built in timber and wouldn't ever have had another boat, especially when things get a little taxing! Might be slower but you will get there in one piece.
She's still for sale in fact in Turkey at a very reasonable price if you're interested. She's a 12 ton Gauntlet - 41' overall. She brought us unscathed from NZ to Thailand and now we have shipped her to Turkey. Contact me if the idea appeals.
tiare.taporo3@gmail.com
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:49   #7
Registered User
 
akprb's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Alaska
Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
Posts: 853
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

An Amel or an HC33 for world cruising?

No brainer.

Ran a HC43 decades ago. Ya like teak and varnish? They are beautiful when up to snuf but it a labor of love to keep them there.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:59   #8
Moderator

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,385
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

If your “short list” contains only two boats having the fiollowing comparative principal parameters:

HC: 8 tons displacement, SA/D 13, L/D 340, LWL 30 feet, cutter rig with sprit.

Mamaru: 19 tons displacement, SA/D 19, L/D 226, LWL 42 feet, knock-about ketch rig.

you should probably do a good deal more studying before you commit your funds.
You should probably also get some more leagues under your keel before you make such a momentous decision.

You will have heard that the purchase of a house is the greatest expenditure a man is likely to make in his life. You may not be quite so keenly aware that buying AND KEEPING a Mamaru requires access to a number of dollars greater than most people spend on a house! A a house you can sell in a matter of weeks when/if the strain become too much. A Mamaru may take months, even years, to dispose of! My constant counsel to the ambitious is to spend no more on buying a boat than you can walk away from with a smile on yur face!

The HC 33 is certainly capable of blue water work and, if you sail both boats, you will find that the HC is amenable to single handing, which would likely be a problem in the Mamaru, particularly for a sailor so inexperienced that he needs to ask the question you have asked.

Taking issue with JPACate is not something I do lightly, but I would suggest – with the humility that JPA knows I possess ;-) - that if his/her friend's HC had a “hard mouth”, it was most likely because her skipper didn't know how to trim her. A spritted cutter wearing canvas appropriate for the wind and wave at the given time should trim out to have a perfectly neutral helm on any point of sail above the beam reach. So no worries on that score :-)

And do not worry about the theoretical difference in “hull speed” twixt the two boats. In PRACTICAL cruising that has very little relevance. Weatherliness is a kettle of fish of a different colour, but that's where “skippering” comes in.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 09:20   #9
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 14,231
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Come on now, really

If those are the 2 boats you are considering and you only are concerned about if the small one is big enough, you arenít anywhere close to choosing a boat.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 09:27   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 21,031
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

It's a divergent choice. The Hans 33 is one of the most popular Hans though. Great reputation. But as mentioned, longer = faster. Some people dont care. Some do.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 09:34   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2017
Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Posts: 189
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

In the late 70's a 27' sailboat was the average size for a cruising family of 4.

Bigger is not always better. My preference is that the boat needs to be able to be singlehanded including storms, sail changes, anchoring and docking. How big that is depends on the set up and abilities. Bigger$$$$
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:22   #12
Registered User
 
asistephen's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

I think the room may be ok
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 3,132
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

I recently traded my Excursion for Saturn Vue. Similar size comparison, obviously not including speed. But you spend most time in port. For a couple the H33 or 38 is a nice size boat. Don't really like either Hans or the Amel, personally so not very biased I wouldn't guess
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:35   #14
Registered User
 
asistephen's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I find it very hard to imagine a world where the two choices left are a Hans Christian 33 and an Amel Super Maramu 53... Those are two are so very, very different in just about every way two cruising boats can be.

Neither one of them are bad boats. In fact, they are both great boats. But it is like buying a car and getting stuck on the final decision between a Mini Cooper or a full sized pickup truck.

Honestly, if those are your final choices it strikes me that your decision process might be more impulsive than logical.

But... to answer your exact question, an HC 33 is a great boat for sailing the world. It is not about size. There are much smaller boats that would also be good, and much bigger ones I would not take out of a bay. Is it as comfortable and capable a boat as a Super Maramu? No, but it is technically capable of doing what you ask.
It’s not impulsive Iv actually been sold on the Maramu for ages and have been and looked at on recently but if I can be happy on a smaller boat it saves a lot of money for my crusing plan and my retirement about 80k plus running costs . So I’m aware they are totally different but I really like the little one too for the fact it little with big boat lovely interior. I’m just thinking will it be too small in sailing performance and too rough in bad weather. Is the trade off worth it I suppose I’m asking what people think ?
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:51   #15
Registered User
 
asistephen's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
If your “short list” contains only two boats having the fiollowing comparative principal parameters:

HC: 8 tons displacement, SA/D 13, L/D 340, LWL 30 feet, cutter rig with sprit.

Mamaru: 19 tons displacement, SA/D 19, L/D 226, LWL 42 feet, knock-about ketch rig.

you should probably do a good deal more studying before you commit your funds.
You should probably also get some more leagues under your keel before you make such a momentous decision.

You will have heard that the purchase of a house is the greatest expenditure a man is likely to make in his life. You may not be quite so keenly aware that buying AND KEEPING a Mamaru requires access to a number of dollars greater than most people spend on a house! A a house you can sell in a matter of weeks when/if the strain become too much. A Mamaru may take months, even years, to dispose of! My constant counsel to the ambitious is to spend no more on buying a boat than you can walk away from with a smile on yur face!

The HC 33 is certainly capable of blue water work and, if you sail both boats, you will find that the HC is amenable to single handing, which would likely be a problem in the Mamaru, particularly for a sailor so inexperienced that he needs to ask the question you have asked.

Taking issue with JPACate is not something I do lightly, but I would suggest – with the humility that JPA knows I possess ;-) - that if his/her friend's HC had a “hard mouth”, it was most likely because her skipper didn't know how to trim her. A spritted cutter wearing canvas appropriate for the wind and wave at the given time should trim out to have a perfectly neutral helm on any point of sail above the beam reach. So no worries on that score :-)

And do not worry about the theoretical difference in “hull speed” twixt the two boats. In PRACTICAL cruising that has very little relevance. Weatherliness is a kettle of fish of a different colour, but that's where “skippering” comes in.

All the best

TrentePieds
The truth is you won’t find these boats in the U.K. where I am to ask to go out on. The Maramu ticks all the boxes . But A’s you’ve stated I know will take lots of money. Up until recently I’d never seen a hans . What a lot of you don’t realise is in the U.K. our boats are pretty much the same boring offerings . The hans living accommodation and a full keel at 33 ft have really surprised me to the point I’m like wow that’s got to be much easier to upkeep, cheaper anyway
__________________

asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34 SKG56 Monohull Sailboats 13 24-06-2016 13:18
'Enough is Enough!' . . . Yeah ! Right ! JustThinking Meets & Greets 22 21-02-2016 22:18
How Big Is Big Enough for Anchoring on the Bay of Fundy? OrangeCrush Monohull Sailboats 9 17-09-2009 09:43
Enough's Enough - I Can't Stand No More Charlie Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 10 16-06-2009 08:44
SLEEP, enough or not enough?? shadow Off Topic Forum 22 17-04-2008 06:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.