Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 17:14   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I just love it when someone starts spreading words of wisdom using such language like "turtling forces". What a high level science...
Your point...?
__________________

__________________
davidlaing is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 17:24   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I suppose Mr. Marchaj works in this regard (like "Seaworthiness - the forgotten factor") are well known to You?
How will You rate Catalina 22 seaworthiness from this point of view?
To quote from my book:
These clever rule-beating hull-tweakings were put to a brutal test in the violent, freak storm that engulfed the 1979 running of the biennial British Fastnet race, causing the deaths of fifteen of its participants as well as the loss of a number of unseaworthy vessels. The disaster prompted a thorough evaluation of the many safety issues brought about by the International Offshore Rating Rule. Two benchmark publications soon emerged from this process. The first, published in 1986, is Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor by the Polish hydrodynamic theorist Czesław Marchaj (Ches-wef Mar-khai). This is a large, detailed, technical treatise, based on both theory and experiment at his teaching institution, the University of Southampton in England, on the motion and stability of assorted hull and rig designs in a seaway. Although the discussion often gets unabashedly technical, Marchaj is a gifted writer, and he manages to present his material in a way that renders full comprehension of the sometimes formidable mathematical equations non-essential to understanding the important concepts of the book.

My sense is that Prof. Marchaj would have a good chuckle over this discussion.
__________________

__________________
davidlaing is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 17:30   #78
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlaing View Post
To quote from my book:
These clever rule-beating hull-tweakings were put to a brutal test in the violent, freak storm that engulfed the 1979 running of the biennial British Fastnet race, causing the deaths of fifteen of its participants as well as the loss of a number of unseaworthy vessels. The disaster prompted a thorough evaluation of the many safety issues brought about by the International Offshore Rating Rule. Two benchmark publications soon emerged from this process. The first, published in 1986, is Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor by the Polish hydrodynamic theorist Czesław Marchaj (Ches-wef Mar-khai). This is a large, detailed, technical treatise, based on both theory and experiment at his teaching institution, the University of Southampton in England, on the motion and stability of assorted hull and rig designs in a seaway. Although the discussion often gets unabashedly technical, Marchaj is a gifted writer, and he manages to present his material in a way that renders full comprehension of the sometimes formidable mathematical equations non-essential to understanding the important concepts of the book.

My sense is that Prof. Marchaj would have a good chuckle over this discussion.
Nice to see you don't take yourself too seriously.
__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 17:41   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Nice to see you don't take yourself too seriously.
Not quite sure where that comment came from, but in my seventy-one years at the helms of ships large and small, I've come to appreciate the value of taking things in stride.
__________________
davidlaing is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 17:42   #80
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

My first sailboat was an Aquarius 23. I sailed it annually to the Bahamas for over a decade. Did Bimini many times, The abacos, walkers cay etc..... It was modified and had an open transom and the bottom of the companionway filled so it was like having the bottom board in all the time. I did this after being pooped one time and sitting in water in the cockpit. Took on a lot of water in one wave and was not a stress free moment.
__________________
forsailbyowner is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 17:48   #81
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,204
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlaing View Post
To quote from my book:
These clever rule-beating hull-tweakings were put to a brutal test in the violent, freak storm that engulfed the 1979 running of the biennial British Fastnet race, causing the deaths of fifteen of its participants as well as the loss of a number of unseaworthy vessels. The disaster prompted a thorough evaluation of the many safety issues brought about by the International Offshore Rating Rule. Two benchmark publications soon emerged from this process. The first, published in 1986, is Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor by the Polish hydrodynamic theorist Czesław Marchaj (Ches-wef Mar-khai). This is a large, detailed, technical treatise, based on both theory and experiment at his teaching institution, the University of Southampton in England, on the motion and stability of assorted hull and rig designs in a seaway. Although the discussion often gets unabashedly technical, Marchaj is a gifted writer, and he manages to present his material in a way that renders full comprehension of the sometimes formidable mathematical equations non-essential to understanding the important concepts of the book.

My sense is that Prof. Marchaj would have a good chuckle over this discussion.
Damn.. unseaworthy vessels were allowed to enter the Fastnet..? step back in amazement..!! and all these years I was thinking it was bad decisions by skippers.. who either pushed to hard to long or.. abandoned boats that were found afloat long after the crews had died or been picked up..
I believe 5 boats sank out of 303.. and those had been abandoned.. those that were sensible and hove to suffered minimal damage and those that pushed their boats beyond their limits suffered the consequences.. your saying boats were unseaworthy because some dorks did not realise that F11 is not a breeze to race in.. especially in that area..


__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now  
Old 09-02-2014, 18:10   #82
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.. unseaworthy vessels were allowed to enter the Fastnet..? step back in amazement..!! and all these years I was thinking it was bad decisions by skippers.. who either pushed to hard to long or.. abandoned boats that were found afloat long after the crews had died or been picked up..
I believe 5 boats sank out of 303.. and those had been abandoned.. those that were sensible and hove to suffered minimal damage and those that pushed their boats beyond their limits suffered the consequences.. your saying boats were unseaworthy because some dorks did not realise that F11 is not a breeze to race in.. especially in that area..

No. I am saying that if there was nothing wrong with the IOR-rule boats that came to grief during the 1979 Fastnet, then why did Marchaj, Rousmaniere, et al. bother to write books about the forgotten factor of seaworthiness and the desirable and undesirable characteristics of offshore sailboats, and why did naval architects pay attention to them and stop designing boats to the IOR rule? Over to you.
__________________
davidlaing is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 18:57   #83
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,204
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlaing View Post
No. I am saying that if there was nothing wrong with the IOR-rule boats that came to grief during the 1979 Fastnet, then why did Marchaj, Rousmaniere, et al. bother to write books about the forgotten factor of seaworthiness and the desirable and undesirable characteristics of offshore sailboats, and why did naval architects pay attention to them and stop designing boats to the IOR rule? Over to you.
I'm not.. nor ever have been a racer.. but I do know that they are built for that specific purpose with wafer thin hulls extra wide beams and juggled ballast.. they were and are disposable as far as the sponsors are concerned.. and my take on it is these boats were not designed/built to meet the handicap but to cheat it..
They were specialist boats built for a specific purpose.. whereas something like a Westerly GK 29 and 34 were cruisers racers that competed under the IOR rules but were a totally different animal.. weight was in the keel not the bilges with just an iron fin..
I'll be honest.. I've never read Marchaj.. or any other treatise on seaworthiness.. never been big on theory.. just take what I've got and use it as best I can...
What's the rating you'd give a 1969 Hurley 22.. seaworthy enough for 50kts plus and 10metre sea's in the Biscay..??
I say yes.. your numbers would say no..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now  
Old 09-02-2014, 19:23   #84
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,097
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

It's a good thing Matt Rutherford didn't try to get to the Bahamas, his Albin Vega has a paltry 10.9 SI.
Pushing The Limits: Solo-Sailing The Americas : NPR
__________________
goat is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14   #85
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
It's a good thing Matt Rutherford didn't try to get to the Bahamas, his Albin Vega has a paltry 10.9 SI.
Pushing The Limits: Solo-Sailing The Americas : NPR

Do You mean STIX?
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56   #86
Registered User
 
Travis McGee's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jax, FL
Boat: 48' steel cutter
Posts: 291
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
I also had the fun when coming out of the Royal MArines to take a Westerley Sirrus 23 ft round the world 32000 miles in 43 months and never once worried about the size of the yacht. The most important factor in the question is was the yacht well built and the rig the best.
Ten-HUT! Render Hand Salute! Ready-To!
__________________
Travis McGee is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:37   #87
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,097
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Do You mean STIX?
I was actually referring to davidlaing's newly discovered seaworthy number;

In the course of writing my soon-to-be-published book Seaworthy Sailboats, I developed a new Seaworthiness Index (SI), which is simply the MCR divided by the CSF. My friend Ted Brewer, who has designed many fine, seaworthy sailboats, has tested my SI on a wide variety of boats and he tells me that he would not be happy going offshore in a boat with a lower SI than 15.0. The SI of the C22-2, at 4.1, is very low.That of the Cat 30 is better at 12.4.
__________________
goat is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 12:02   #88
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Is all this STUFF really necessary in order to talk about whether a Catalina 22 can go Caribbean island hopping?
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 12:14   #89
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,204
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is all this STUFF really necessary in order to talk about whether a Catalina 22 can go Caribbean island hopping?
Why so serious....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now  
Old 10-02-2014, 12:19   #90
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Why so serious....

Not me, I think it is funny

And just think of all the ratio sailor people who are going to miss all this info because it is hidden in a Catalina 22 thread
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, florida, catalina, bahamas

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catalina 30' CE Cert 'A' storyinframes Monohull Sailboats 4 02-02-2012 19:43
For Sale: Garmin BlueChart Data Card - Florida and Bahamas Greg S Classifieds Archive 6 26-10-2011 08:18
For Sale: Bahamas Explorer Chartbooks, Florida Charts, Cruising Guides sinberg Classifieds Archive 4 06-08-2011 15:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.