Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 15:50   #46

Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

My last boat was a C22. Would I attempt it? HECK NO!!! I want more experience first! I am always thinking that the worst can happen and I want to come out of it alive!

All I can say is...

Good for him that he made it safe....
Old 13-01-2014, 16:31   #47

Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

It would be a great boat for the B'mas for sure... think of the places you could go! We crossed once with a couple who had a 23 footer...fixed keel....production boat... forget what make it was... They were both about 6-2/6-3 tall. cramped little boat for them. But they made it! We had to patch a keel leak with underwater epoxy in bimini though. Just say NO to bolt on keels!
Probably more about knowing your boat and watching weather than the size of the boat...

Old 13-01-2014, 17:10   #48

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
One thing you might want to consider...

The Catalina 22's standing rigging is designed for day-sailing and club racing, not for bluewater sailing. Will you have a plan for what If... ...your rig comes apart while the gulf stream is pushing you into the North Atlantic at 6kts?

?....headway East, while the current pushes you North? You might miss your target by many miles.....

This is one of the silliest posts I have read here in a while (sure, it is old... I missed it the first time).

Reminds me of an idiot who tried to tell me I could not sail my Ariel (26') to the Bahamas because (get this) the theoretical hull speed was not fast enough to beat the Gulf Stream! I wonder if this fool had an image of a huge pile of small boats wrecked in Nova Scotia because they were just not fast enough to make it...
Old 13-01-2014, 18:15   #49
Marine Service Provider

I wonder how the opening poster got on in the end.

We used to easily do 40+ miles in our 25 ft trailer sailer years ago in Bass Strait in Victoria Australia. When it got rough once we even beat home a Bertram 35 flybridge who struggled in the rough weather.
Old 13-01-2014, 18:23   #50

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Is a Catalina 22 Seaworthy Enough to Make the Passage from Florida to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I wonder how the opening poster got on in the end......
Looks like he made it.... Quoted from page 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
The OP posted about a year ago. I wonder if he ever did it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Old 14-01-2014, 01:10   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Looks like he made it.... Quoted from page 1....
Uhhh, I just looked at the link,and it didn't seem to say anything much, certainly not that he had made the trip. Just asked about replacing the cable...

Did I miss something?

Jim
Old 14-01-2014, 01:30   #52
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Uhhh, I just looked at the link,and it didn't seem to say anything much, certainly not that he had made the trip. Just asked about replacing the cable...

Did I miss something?

Jim
I missed it as well????
Old 14-01-2014, 01:34   #53
Marine Service Provider

Yeah the link must be incorrect.
Old 14-01-2014, 03:46   #54

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

We did it on a Catalina 25 from Key Largo to Bimini. !5 hrs over and 25 back. Just have a good weather window. Over was a night cruise and of course the return did the same. Cruise boats are HUGE, even a couple miles away!
Old 14-01-2014, 04:36   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tim.

Old 15-01-2014, 06:53   #56

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

This was an intersting post and I would like to keep it going by posting another related question. I plan on a similar solo crossing this summer on my west wight potter 19. The question that got my mind twisted is how
wide is the gulfstream from Miami to Bimini. Is that 3 to 5 knts current felt all the way across or only for a few miles?
I appreciate any inputs .....Cheers
Old 15-01-2014, 07:08   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Gulf Stream is about 30 miles wide off of the coast of Florida (it varies); so you will be in the stream for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the distance (± 50 miles).

Old 15-01-2014, 08:50   #58

I found the stream to be strong almost immediately upon starting out.... steering maybe 25-30 degrees upstream to compensate then about maybe half way accross it tapered off at a fairly steady rate until there was little on the Bahamas side.

Old 15-01-2014, 22:23   #59
gfh

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Reminds me of an idiot who tried to tell me I could not sail my Ariel (26') to the Bahamas because (get this) the theoretical hull speed was not fast enough to beat the Gulf Stream! I wonder if this fool had an image of a huge pile of small boats wrecked in Nova Scotia because they were just not fast enough to make it...
Yeah, all hell breaks loose if you don't reach escape velocity.

I wouldn't take my Catalina 22 out that far. Mostly because I don't know what I'm doing. But I bet a more experienced skipper could do it in a properly provisioned C22 and a really polite weather window.
Old 16-01-2014, 08:40   #60

I would imagine people have windsurfed and Hobie catted across before...? After all.... Diana Nyad swam!

Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, florida, catalina, bahamas