Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 05:16   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Introducing the family to sailing using a charter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raizyr View Post
I have had a dream of cruising for many years, and owned a Hunter 28.5 on a freshwater lake for a couple years. My wife and I have talked about buying a cruising boat in retirement, however she's never been sailing before.

I've talked about doing a week long liveaboard sailing course, but we also have two kids, 6 and 8 years old, that I would like to introduce to it as well. I suspect that having them onboard, even if a school allowed it, would hamper the learning.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a family sailing charter that can serve as an introduction for them? Or suggestions for some other method I haven't thought of?
I have run charters like this on an FP 44 cat. ASA 101 for mom and dad, ASA 103 for dad; and from 1-3 children 4-9. The children get antsy---- until Capt Bill worked with them to throw the life jacket off the stern for MOB drills. Nothing is more fun for a kid than watching mom and dad hustle through a MOB drill.

As others have said the issue is keeping your 6&8 year old entertained. It is very hard to teach (and you to learn) in an ASA class when kids--- act like kids and ask questions (seek attention). Keep in mind this is their vacation too. You can bring along an au pair, but now space becomes an issue.

To make classes and cruising work you will likely need a 4 cabin catamaran. One for mom and dad, one for kids, one for au pair and one for captain (some will sleep in the salon).

Float plan must include shore excursions for the children. While you or I would be happy sailing for a few days, the children will need some stimulus off the boat. At least every other day, the kids need to get off the boat and have something to do that THEY want.

Perhaps a better idea is to come to FL and do 3 days in Disney; then either day charter or do a 2-3 day charter in St. Petersburg, without any lessons.

Feel free to PM me or contact me through my website

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael. www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:36   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

My vote is for a 7 day bareboat charter in the BVIs. Or, even hire a Captain. The easy sailing and short distances will be a plus for the non-sailors. I think you'll get a taste of what's to come. Just my 2 cents.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 14:36   #18

All of the suggestions are very helpful thank you! It gives me a lot to think about, and plenty to discuss with my wife

The allure of Caribbean waters and easy sailing in the BVIs might set the best possible stage for the rest of the family enjoying it, but the easier access to Florida (we’ll be in Atlanta for 2 years starting this summer) is tempting too.

Decisions, decisions..

Old 29-01-2018, 09:56   #19

Boat: Hunter 38

Some good suggestions but I'm going to suggest that you and your wife plan the sailing vacation without kids the first time. You're looking ahead to retirement, and that's whether the two of you enjoy time on the water together. Lot different than a family vacation.

Other posters have indicated how important it is to entertain children while on board, especially younger ones. Mom is always going to be concerned about kid's enjoyment and safety no matter who is on board to assist imho. Her enjoyment ( and yours) will be largely dependent on the kid's enjoyment.

I'd take her on a captained charter and see whether the two of you like it before I'd bring the kids along. Might be two very different experiences.

And if she does enjoy the first trip, you've got a great platform for taking the kids next time. You'll both know what to expect and can figure out how to integrate the kids before you leave with them. Might be more enjoyable all round.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 11:14   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Some good suggestions but I'm going to suggest that you and your wife plan the sailing vacation without kids the first time. You're looking ahead to retirement, and that's whether the two of you enjoy time on the water together. Lot different than a family vacation.

Other posters have indicated how important it is to entertain children while on board, especially younger ones. Mom is always going to be concerned about kid's enjoyment and safety no matter who is on board to assist imho. Her enjoyment ( and yours) will be largely dependent on the kid's enjoyment.

I'd take her on a captained charter and see whether the two of you like it before I'd bring the kids along. Might be two very different experiences.

And if she does enjoy the first trip, you've got a great platform for taking the kids next time. You'll both know what to expect and can figure out how to integrate the kids before you leave with them. Might be more enjoyable all round.
My (now ex) wife's favorite was when I would take the kids out in the dinghy exploring without her (not enough room in the little avon). That was when she got to really enjoy being on the boat with no distractions at all. Safe at anchor with no kids.

Yes, sailing as a couple is very nice. And although sailing with kids is challenging, it is also very rewarding. Its a family adventure you will never forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	End of school sailing trip 251.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	163054  

hamburking is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, family, sail, sailing