Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 14:34   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Indication of warming ocean

An interesting news article today about the effect of the warming ocean.

Sea lion pup spotted on San Francisco sidewalk rescued - National | Globalnews.ca
Old 01-05-2015, 16:28   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Indication of warming ocean

All I heard from that video was speculation regarding the sea lion's foray into the streets.

Must be glowbull warming because a helper said so...

Ayn Rand
Old 01-05-2015, 16:47   #3

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Here's one from a source a little closer to the area.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/34...cting-sea-lion

The cause is far from cut and dried and the source of the article is quite liberal.
Old 01-05-2015, 16:49   #4

Boat: Formosa 41

I think a thermometer would work better than a sea lion.
Old 01-05-2015, 18:11   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

One swallow doesn't make a spring

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2015, 07:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Warming oceans heavier seas. I read somewhere that some oceans are warming while others, like Indian Ocean is cooling!? Anyone can expand on that. If so the Indian Ocean cooling should result in more friendly seas?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:59   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
An interesting news article today about the effect of the warming ocean.

Sea lion pup spotted on San Francisco sidewalk rescued - National | Globalnews.ca
I don't think you can prove this is a result of global warming. There is an "El Nino" going on at the moment and this always happens when there's an "El Nino" Warm water shows up off of California and screws with the sea lion's normal food populations and pups are abandoned. This is nothing new.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:25   #8

40 years ago it was an impending ice age that had the Chicken Littles scurrying about.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:37   #9

AND if CO2 were the culprit, why do NASA probes around other planets also note temp increases? No SUVs there... By the way, while on the subject, I wonder if any of the koolaid drinkers know what the number one greenhouse gas is on planet Earth. Next time you hear one spouting that drivel, ask it that question and see if it answers "water vapor". Which also happens to be at least 4 times more important to heat retention than CO2 and there is SO much more of it. Hmmm... solar output goes up, warms ocean, makes more water vapor, warms up... no SUV necessary for that.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
"El Nino" Warm water shows up off of California and screws with the sea lion's normal food populations and pups are abandoned. This is nothing new.
yet the marina mammal rescue folks are continuing to raise money and save the portion of the population that SHOULD have died out naturally because they were not fit enough to survive. Do they believe in Evolution or not?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:45   #11

The "global warming" debate is actually about 2 issues: warming due to natural forces and a man-made spoiling of our nest (Earth). To some, they are one-and-the-same which is the basis for the hysteria. As much as Mankind might try, it still cannot even do more than a tiny fraction of what Mother Nature can in an instant. Do I like the dirty air and contaminated seas and Monsanto's effort to "improve" our food supply? Hell no but those ain't warming the planet. Oh, well, I know I am a heretic and will burn in eco-hell but so be it.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11   #12

Haha! There are SOOOO many reasons why I love reading CF, and these replies rank up there with the top three! Thank you all for your responses... keep it up!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:13   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
The "global warming" debate is actually about 2 issues: warming due to natural forces and a man-made spoiling of our nest (Earth). To some, they are one-and-the-same which is the basis for the hysteria. As much as Mankind might try, it still cannot even do more than a tiny fraction of what Mother Nature can in an instant. Do I like the dirty air and contaminated seas and Monsanto's effort to "improve" our food supply? Hell no but those ain't warming the planet. Oh, well, I know I am a heretic and will burn in eco-hell but so be it.

Trif,
Your remarks are well stated. However, I believe that the dilemna concerning global warming has not been determined scientifcly whether it is a natural cycle of evolution or man made. Both are possible although no one to date has proven their case. It well may be established in the future that it is a combination of both. The jury is still in deliberation. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:13   #14

Boat: 36' Hartog ketch

Underlying issues here include warmer ocean locally. and more importantly, sardine populations so low the Feds have ended the fishery. Seals aren't finding enough to eat and abandoning pups, which the people who care are 'rescuing' and feeding. I wonder what those folks will do when they can't buy more sardines to feed them.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:21   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
yet the marina mammal rescue folks are continuing to raise money and save the portion of the population that SHOULD have died out naturally because they were not fit enough to survive. Do they believe in Evolution or not?

The obvious answer is No. The only justification for human intervention in the natural world is if Man has created the problem-- as seen in conservation intervention in Africa and the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Otherwise, natural evolution must be allowed without interference.
Closed Thread