Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 12:18   #31

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
Re: In need of serious help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdrskr View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!

This is what i have got planned as of this morning.

Boat will be hauled from CO. to Pensacola for $4,000. Anyone here in Pensacola? Still need to figure out where to overnight.
Crane in CO $800.
Shipyard in Pensacola $475 Lift, stands, splash. $34 a day in yard. 24 hr yard!!!
$90 boom + rigger fee(they won't let me rig my mast but I do have a two dollar bill to put under it!).

In yard-
Need to drop rudder(when I get craned in CO), fix crack, fair and paint, fix bearing and tube, reinstall when I get lifted.
Bottom paint.
Reinstall Radar, chart plotter, Tricolor, windex, etc.
Reinstall Dodger and Bimini.
Install solar panels and controller.
Install New batteries(two Renogy 100ah house and one dual marine starting batt)
Fill water tanks, fuel, polish fuel(I have a polishing system).
Tune standing rigging and re-rig my pro furl.
Rig running rigging and install sails(have new main, old main, 150 Genoa, 130,110 headsails & a asymmetrical spinnaker. Will be putting on the 130 jib.
Install new bilge pump and alarm.
Change out hose clamps and inspect thru hulls and valves.
Check for leaks once splashed.
Clean up and provision for trip.

Hope to do this list in six days.

I will be going to where Chotu's Marina is and get settled in!

I will be prepping the motor here in CO. I need to clean the heat exchanger, polish or get rid of old fuel, change oil and coolant, install new filters and impeller. The Yanmar 3gm I have has only 450 hrs on it so it should be good to go.

I have a friend coming down to drive my truck to my destination. also have a mate to join me for the trip.

Whew! Can't wait to sail again!
I am 1.5hr from P'cola, got work mates from there, just ran feelers out to see if we can come up with something, will let you know what returns.
Talking about riding over that way on a weekend, visit Southern Cross Ship Chandlery, maybe lend you a small hand, but mostly to drool over your I32. Medical issues forced us to abandon the dream of rebuilding our I44 and we sold her to a younger sailor who is now building that dream. Just love those Islander lines though...
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 12:48   #32

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I am 1.5hr from P'cola, got work mates from there, just ran feelers out to see if we can come up with something, will let you know what returns.
Talking about riding over that way on a weekend, visit Southern Cross Ship Chandlery, maybe lend you a small hand, but mostly to drool over your I32. Medical issues forced us to abandon the dream of rebuilding our I44 and we sold her to a younger sailor who is now building that dream. Just love those Islander lines though...
Thank You! I drool over her too...lol. I would appreciate anyone who would like to lend a hand, this thing is not easy on my own, AND I will have a bunch of Colorado brewery beer to share!

Thanks again to all,
SV Brilliant Sea, Ace and Me
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 07:50   #33

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II

Free advice is worth what you pay for that advice...

Sell the boat now, get what you can for it. Remove any useful stuff for next boat. Travel to Florida, it's where boating dreams come to life/or die. Buy one of thousands of boats for less than the transportation and refit costs of current vessel.

I recommend St Johns River area, maybe base yourself at Green Cove Springs. Lots of jobs and a very accommodating area for someone willing to work. Not to mention the river is a great place to cruise with many places to anchor with few restrictions.

PM me if you need more info.
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:26   #34

Boat: 1998 Nauticat 515
Send a message via Skype™ to lelievre12

The shipping costs are not worth the value of the boat. This sounds like an almighty waste of time. Even if you do ship it, you still have to invest the time and money to fix it up. Doesnt sound like a plan at all.

Better to sell the boat "as is where is" and buy one in Texas that is already in good shape. There are so many! eg:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d...038268481.html

Offer $5K. You'll probably get it.

The cost of the new boat ready to go will be far less than all the hassle of shipping and refitting your existing one. Then you can spend the time you now have earning cash to pay for your cruise, not simply barely surviving.
lelievre12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:12   #35

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelievre12 View Post
The shipping costs are not worth the value of the boat. This sounds like an almighty waste of time. Even if you do ship it, you still have to invest the time and money to fix it up. Doesnt sound like a plan at all.

Better to sell the boat "as is where is" and buy one in Texas that is already in good shape. There are so many! eg:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d...038268481.html

Offer $5K. You'll probably get it.

The cost of the new boat ready to go will be far less than all the hassle of shipping and refitting your existing one. Then you can spend the time you now have earning cash to pay for your cruise, not simply barely surviving.
I already have put most of the refit work into her, I know her, not selling her for peanuts. She is a special boat to me and the money is already spent. I have plenty of work both in Florida and in Colorado, I'll be fine. The boat as of now with new sails, new electronics and a motor that is barelly broke in vallued at $30.000, I laugh at $5,000...just saying.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:04   #36

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

You will be a whiz kid for sure if you can get all that work done in six days. More like seven days ...LOL . Knowledge and desire is a great motivator, good luck Boat transport is expense, I think that's a great price to move that boat. I would charge that much if the boat was on your trailer ready to haul. Another cruiser tale on YouTube I wouldn't waste my time with that idea . Hope your dog likes FL.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease