Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 10:49   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
In Memory Gordon Swift

A friend a boat builder a sailor a character. I am sad to hear that Gordon Swift (Swifty )sailed on to other waters this past February.
Swifty built the finest wooden boats. Using local woods he crafted classic yachts. From tree to plank to water. Swifty and his small operation built the complete yacht.
Swifty with wife Doris and 2 daughters Diana and Laurie sailed Madrigal a 26 foot sloop built by Swifty. A large 26 footer it had the best quarter berth and common sense lay out. A not so pleasant universal motor that worked despite its design.
The loss of men like Swifty should not go unnoticed. These men had a fortitude that is less common today. Swifty was a classic definition of Fortitude determination and grit backed by intelligent choices. He also had a great balance of joy and compassion.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397929499.083021.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	79583Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397929508.380988.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	79584
May his boats continue to give joy and adventure while he sails a different journey a piece of life on shaws hill continues here on Sabray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 15:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: In Memory Gordon Swift

We will all make that last sail. May those who he has left behind have comfort. RIP Gordon.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 15:49   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
We will all make that last sail. May those who he has left behind have comfort. RIP Gordon.
+1. RIP.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 14:50   #4

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)

A great man and boat builder by all accounts from what I've heard. Alas, we almost got to meet up with him a couple years ago and have him aboard our boat, Mimi Rose for which he built the hull for Bill Page. The fourth hull he built after setting up his own shop, I think. She's an incredibly well built boat, a '100 year boat' one of the local boat builders called her.

I've also had the pleasure to sail on Belford Gray at WoodenBoat school which is a boat he lead the students in building there:

WoodenBoat School Fleet of Small Boats

Dead simple, and a joy to sail.

I'm a saddened to have missed the opportunity to meet Swifty. A few years back, when we were cleaning out our diesel tank on the dock at Billings Diesel in Stonington, Maine, Jim, who had worked for Swifty years ago came down and asked us if our boat was built by Swifty. I said, "yes, how did you know?" He said, "Swifty's the only builder who puts a drip edge on an eyebrow like that." That eyebrow's black locust, too, in case you're wondering. Called "New Hampshire teak" by some. Now that I've looked around I haven't seen one like it on other boats either. Built to last.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote