Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 15:39   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
In Kind Barter of Boat Time

There have been a few threads about exchanging time on boats, but I doubt most cruisers are comfortable with turning over their boats to an unknown skipper. However, I hit upon something today that I think has potential.

A former sailing student & friend contacted me recently about some additional training and assistance in moving a boat he plans to purchase. He also happens to lead trekking expeditions in Nepal, which I've been meaning to do for years. Hmmm...so we decided to barter training, and training wheels for the delivery, for a trekking adventure in Nepal. Im pretty stoked and so is he!

I think that concept is a great idea.

So...any fly fishing guides out there who would like to go sailing?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 16:06   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: In Kind Barter of Boat Time

Or any meteorologists or masseuses are welcome aboard with us
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 16:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Another good idea!
Old 30-01-2016, 16:59   #4

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

I'll swap some time in my shop for some time on a boat. In my shop you get to fix lawnmowers and chainsaws and everything in between plus some other stuff.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 17:35   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

^^^ that's awesome!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:45   #6

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Love this idea [] [] [] ! I'd like to trade time on my cat for canvas lessons, welding lessons etc. Additionally this sparked a thought of trading time in timeshare condominiums for time on boats. For cruisers to get off the boat and check in to a resort for a week , for free, can be a nice change of pace. Timeshare owners let weeks expire in some of the most beautiful cruising areas in the world. I have 5 weeks on hold that I am not using and know others that are holding more weeks than me. Mexico, Hawaii, Tahiti, Australia, the Orient, Europe are all available weeks on my plan. Trading those vacation weeks for something that benefits my boat would be great.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:54   #7

Boat: 1976 Downeast 32

Sailing in Belize?? Oh, heck yeah! We're not fly fishers, but we could exchange hand trolling for king and coho salmon or halibut jigging off our aluminum skiff in the waters near Juneau, AK. We just finished smoking and canning 3 cases of coho to make some room in the freezer - yum! Nothing like watching humpbacks bubble net feeding and breaching while fighting a coho...
Old 31-01-2016, 09:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
HA!!!

You kill me monte !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 10:16   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
I'll swap some time in my shop for some time on a boat. In my shop you get to fix lawnmowers and chainsaws and everything in between plus some other stuff.
I'll keep that in mind for maintaining the boat's saw & mower. I keep messing up the mower on the cleats.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 11:08   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Now this is a really good idea. Anyone know a lot about installing and hooking up solar panels on a boat that wants some sailing experience? Or has a ski chalet someplace nice for a winter get away? Or maybe a lake front cottage in NH or Maine for a summer get away?

I will take you sailing in the Caribbean for the same amount of time traded and cover all on board expenses plus give you basic sailing training.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 13:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Oh, I did plenty of that a kid. Learned to despise old lawn mower engines. Dead simple, but one little thing out of spec (like a distorted shaft key) and the damn thing wont run!
Old 31-01-2016, 13:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Love this idea [] [] [] ! I'd like to trade time on my cat for canvas lessons, welding lessons etc. Additionally this sparked a thought of trading time in timeshare condominiums for time on boats. For cruisers to get off the boat and check in to a resort for a week , for free, can be a nice change of pace. Timeshare owners let weeks expire in some of the most beautiful cruising areas in the world. I have 5 weeks on hold that I am not using and know others that are holding more weeks than me. Mexico, Hawaii, Tahiti, Australia, the Orient, Europe are all available weeks on my plan. Trading those vacation weeks for something that benefits my boat would be great.
Thats a fine idea. We like to spend part of the year traveling so that would work well for us.

Im pretty handy to have aboard...where's your boat.
Old 31-01-2016, 13:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
Sailing in Belize?? Oh, heck yeah! We're not fly fishers, but we could exchange hand trolling for king and coho salmon or halibut jigging off our aluminum skiff in the waters near Juneau, AK. We just finished smoking and canning 3 cases of coho to make some room in the freezer - yum! Nothing like watching humpbacks bubble net feeding and breaching while fighting a coho...
Halibut fishing and visiting Alaska...two other things Im interested in doing...and who doesn't like fesh Salmon!

One of your former State level congressmen was a sailing student of mine (not Palin).
Old 31-01-2016, 15:37   #14

Boat: CS36T

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Now this is a really good idea. Anyone know a lot about installing and hooking up solar panels on a boat that wants some sailing experience? Or has a ski chalet someplace nice for a winter get away? Or maybe a lake front cottage in NH or Maine for a summer get away?

I will take you sailing in the Caribbean for the same amount of time traded and cover all on board expenses plus give you basic sailing training.

I have experience with solar panels. I am a retired electrical engineer. I designed and installed a 240W solar PV panel installation on my boat in 2005 and have been using it ever since. I am currently sailing in Bahamas, returning to Florida in April.

I have lots of sailing experience, so not sure what I would want in return, but will give it some thought. One of my bucket list projects is to sail the west coast if Canada. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fguptill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 16:38   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Monte, do you mean like this kind of meteorologist?

alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote