Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 19:32   #46

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Re: Impound !

Hi everyone... I'm new to this forum and this is the first thread I read. Wow!

I'd like to offer my two cents...

1. Having been born and raised in California and having been all over the US, I can't imagine myself living and boating anywhere else. But truth be told, southern California is a very different monster from northern California. I moor my boat in the California Delta and can't even imagine being treated to a $150 fine for paying mooring fees late.

2. The reason I so much enjoy boating in and using marinas and moorings in the California Delta and Bay Area is because the marinas I use are not government owned! I have learned to go out of my way to avoid using government owned marinas and moorings because GOVERNMENT HAS NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER BEING INVOLVED IN BOATING. If local governments persistently fail at running schools, parks, etc., why on earth would I expect to see them run a marina or mooring any better??? In fact, ALL of the government run marinas I have visited (my personal observations only) have been run by people who are clueless about boating and don't know the their bow from their stern, are poorly maintained, and stand poorly among privately owned marinas. I realize in many parts of southern California, one cannot escape the wrath of government owned marinas...which is why I avoid the area all together.

3. No amount of complaining, letter writing, or media exposure will change how these marinas and moorings are run. The employees are protected by unions, cannot get fired or disciplined for "doing their job," nor have an incentive to carry themselves in a manner that brings a good name and reputation to the establishment. If the marina loses customers (I doubt Newport Harbor will ever have that problem), the city will continue to shell out dollars to maintain control over it. Sadly, the loss of customers in this case will result in delivering even poorer service because of cutbacks in operating budget.

The moral to this looooong first post is: If the fruit on the tree is bitter, you don't have any obligation to pick and eat it. There are other trees out there with better tasting fruit.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 23:15   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post

1. Having been born and raised in California and having been all over the US, I can't imagine myself living and boating anywhere else. But truth be told, southern California is a very different monster from northern California. I moor my boat in the California Delta and can't even imagine being treated to a $150 fine for paying mooring fees late.

2. The reason I so much enjoy boating in and using marinas and moorings in the California Delta and Bay Area is because the marinas I use are not government owned! I have learned to go out of my way to avoid using government owned marinas and moorings because GOVERNMENT HAS NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER BEING INVOLVED IN BOATING. If local governments persistently fail at running schools, parks, etc., why on earth would I expect to see them run a marina or mooring any better??? In fact, ALL of the government run marinas I have visited (my personal observations only) have been run by people who are clueless about boating and don't know the their bow from their stern, are poorly maintained, and stand poorly among privately owned marinas. I realize in many parts of southern California, one cannot escape the wrath of government owned marinas...which is why I avoid the area all together.

3. No amount of complaining, letter writing, or media exposure will change how these marinas and moorings are run. The employees are protected by unions, cannot get fired or disciplined for "doing their job," nor have an incentive to carry themselves in a manner that brings a good name and reputation to the establishment. If the marina loses customers (I doubt Newport Harbor will ever have that problem), the city will continue to shell out dollars to maintain control over it. Sadly, the loss of customers in this case will result in delivering even poorer service because of cutbacks in operating budget.

The moral to this looooong first post is: If the fruit on the tree is bitter, you don't have any obligation to pick and eat it. There are other trees out there with better tasting fruit.
Can't agree with you on Local government run marinas. I'm in Antioch. Same price as the run down private POS marinas around it. It is clean, well staffed and friendly. You can't paint all canvas with one brush.
You just take it as it comes. If you hear of a bad marina, boycott it and make sure the nword is spread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 01:25   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Can't agree with you on Local government run marinas. I'm in Antioch. Same price as the run down private POS marinas around it. It is clean, well staffed and friendly. You can't paint all canvas with one brush.
You just take it as it comes. If you hear of a bad marina, boycott it and make sure the nword is spread.
Come to France, where the majority are state or local gov owned marinas. Well run and clean etc.

Dave
Old 26-03-2012, 03:44   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Seems the moral of the story really is not to pay your bill 26 hours late! What postion does everyone all up in anger have about paying their other bills late?

PS - to us in the NE used to moorings being $35-65/night a $15/day place sounds like a good deal!
Old 26-03-2012, 06:21   #50

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
I must admit, I've heard good things about Antioch Marina. There always exist exceptions to any rule; but for the most part, the government run marinas in the delta and bay have not fared very well in the larger picture. Examples include Vallejo vs Glen Cove, Sacramento vs Riverbank, Stockton vs Village West...
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 07:02   #51

...speaking of which...Santa Cruz harbor are a pile of elitists too. Another group who finds it neccesary to cary side arms.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-03-2012, 07:05   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Seems the moral of the story really is not to pay your bill 26 hours late ...
Imagine that - consequences for not paying (on time).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 07:07   #53

Ya...but 10 times the amount???
Old 26-03-2012, 07:11   #54

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

In the interest of honest disclosure, Astral Blue and Celestialsailor's comments forced me to rethink my previous comment. The way those folks at Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island run their operation deserves a positive comment IMHO. While the moorings are privately owned, I believe the entire moorage is managed by the town of Avalon. I've heard that some folks have had a problem with the operation there but I have skippered a number of larger vessels to moorings there over the years and experienced nothing but helpful, knowledgeable and polite harbor staff. I've seen them go out of their way to help out an inexperienced boater on many occasions, even on the busier weekends. I do believe that it is the exception to the rule having skippered larger vessels (65-100 ft) in to and out of most harbors in southern CA since the early eighties where rudeness and disinterest are the norm. By the way, welcome to the best Cruisers Forum I've found on the net, Astral Blue... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:13   #55

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Impound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...You called for Habor master...we are Harbor police"! .
"Harbor Police", That tells me all I need to know.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:22   #56

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Seems the moral of the story really is not to pay your bill 26 hours late! What postion does everyone all up in anger have about paying their other bills late?

PS - to us in the NE used to moorings being $35-65/night a $15/day place sounds like a good deal!
I think I remember;wasn't just that the payment was late, but that the "Harbor Police", refused to take the payment that was offered, (cash), and insisted on impounding the boat, and assessing penalties, AFTER payment was offered. AND that typical of a beaurocracy refused to allow payment in advance.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:36   #57

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im still gonna bypass Cali anyway I can !! I hate to even fly there to vist our kids!! most times I will fly them down here LOL And Capn Phil is right Catalina is an exception to the rule !! But Ventura tho has some of the stupidest Harbor Police in the world LOL never , never stop there unless its for fuel and leave striaght away !! just my 2 cents
Old 26-03-2012, 09:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post

Couldnt agree with you more! Generally,..... there are always exceptions....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 09:39   #59

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Im still gonna bypass Cali anyway I can !! I hate to even fly there to vist our kids!! most times I will fly them down here LOL And Capn Phil is right Catalina is an exception to the rule !! But Ventura tho has some of the stupidest Harbor Police in the world LOL never , never stop there unless its for fuel and leave striaght away !! just my 2 cents

Really. What happened in Ventura?
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:05   #60

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Imagine that - consequences for not paying (on time).

The first thing I learned in Kindigarden, PLAY BY THE RULES..
And its never failed me..

I've sailed the waters from Alaska to Mexico, and stayed at about every marina in between and NEVER had any issues.. some I like better than others but I've always played by the rules and NEVER had any problems..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote