Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 10:56   #31

Boat: 48 Californian
Re: IMPOUND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
$15 plus a couple of hundred in fines, is not so good a deal.
As you are whistling waiting for an answer, sww914 says in his opening sentance he forgot to pay the rent. With the weather we have had the last couple of weeks in So Cal yes 15 bucks a night tied to a ball in a safe harbor is a smoking deal.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 10:59   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Impound!

There are some rude, mean bureaucrats out there ...

In our marina, they apply a neat trick: when we pay on time, we pay a monthly fee. If we are late, we pay daily fees on the overdue days (as you can guess - the daily fees are pretty steep). If we pay nothing for three months, the boat gets impounded and we are in deep ...

Sure thing, we never ever pay our dues late ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:07   #33

Added to the "Places To Avoid List"....

Cheers for the heads up....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:11   #34

Boat: Pearson 281

Someone I know, a newbie to sailing had real problems in Newport as well while he was briniging his 24ft sailboat up from San Diego. He told me his outboard had failed on a bad day and after bouncing off some breakwall and making it in anyway he had a devil of a time getting any help from a surley harbor master in finding a slip to stay in for the night to get out of the weather, check the boat out and try to repair the outboard. After a lot of back and forth they finally directed him to a slip (at $80.00) then they took and kept his paperwork... said they lost it... and when he got to Long Beach found that the harbor master from Newport had sent word along that "this guy is trouble" and w/o paperwork etc. couldn't get a slip and anchored out by the oil island. I helped him get the rest of the way into L.A. Harbor.
I offered to take him to the USCG station here in L.A. Harbor and help him file a complaint since conditions were bad and he had become disabled as well as for the loss of his paperwork but he never took me up on it. I believe that in any case involving international maritime law like this the Guard might get involved.
Beyond that maybe documenting these other sorts of instances and getting them on record might eventually lead to change.
As someone mentioned though it's all about the revenue so there won't be much traction with the locals.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:17   #35

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yes that was a true story! I paid the fine left and will never return!! the last time before I had this happen that I was in Newport CSK was still making boats there, and it was a great place to vist ! boy it sure changed!!
Old 25-03-2012, 11:32   #36

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

MODERATOR>>>>>>How about we start a Bad Boy list,,complete with numbers to call and e-mails collected.
Then each of us can collectively inundate the offending harbor masters etc in question.
If we just stand around and do nothing, then all this will become "The Norm" i have seen it happen as i am sure you all have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Yes that was a true story! I paid the fine left and will never return!! the last time before I had this happen that I was in Newport CSK was still making boats there, and it was a great place to vist ! boy it sure changed!!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:47   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

These bureaucrats don't give a sh*t... after spending about 15 years living aboard in SD while in the delivery business, I chucked it all, sold my boat and moved to Nevada. I wouldn't even cross the border to buy a cup of coffee in CA. If I do a delivery now, it is fly in fly out and never spend a dime... no fuel, food, parts or labor. Do all my provisioning in Ensenada if headed south. CA used to be a nice state to visit and live in... no longer... don't know how it got so screwed up but I believe it starts at the top of the political food chain in Sacramento and trickles down through much of the state and local governments. Having dealt with all levels, it amazes me how pervasive rudeness, laziness and just plain ugly attitudes prevail at all levels. It is interesting to compare the DMV in CA and NV. In NV they go out of their way to be helpful. In CA, not so much. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:54   #38

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I was born and raised in Northern Cal. Learned most of what I know about the sea there !I will never stop in Calif. if I can bypass it going north or south I will, if I can't I will spend as little as possible! and I have kids there!! LOL Thats how much Calif has changed in the last 30 years !!They even have a MUD Tax there !! Oregon and Washington and above for me !!and of course the Caribe are my cruiseing grounds now!
Old 25-03-2012, 12:33   #39

Boat: O'Day 28

Born, raised, sailed in Redondo Beach, Ca. Got out of Long Beach State and hit the road. Can't imagine a much better place to be a kid but I couldn't stand the crowds THEN. Haven't ever regretted moving to the Southeast. Surf isn't as good but the water and sailing and diving and fishing is far better. Newporters had their noses in the air way back when too.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 12:57   #40

Re: Impound !

I BOUGHT A NEW PORT 27 OFF E BAY ,AND FOUND OUT SHE NEEDED MORE IN REPAIRS THAN I HAD IN THE BANK ( NEVER MARRY A LAWYER) ,THE SAIL RIPPED( 1,500 STITCHES) BY HAND AND I KICKED AROUND LA LONG BEACH MARINA DEL REY 30 DAYS ,THE YAMMAR DIED ,I GOT TOWED TIME AND AGAIN AND RUN OFFANCHORAGES TIME AND AGAIN ,THERES A BUNCH OF GUYS LIVING OFF MARINA DEL REY IN A FED ANCHORAGE THAT THEY HASSLE EVERY DAY ..I HAD ENOUGH AND COUDENT WAIT LONGER TO GET THE HELL OUTA THERE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED

I GOT NO BAD WEATHER REPORTS ON A STORM AND IT WAS A NICE SUNNY DAY OFF SANTA BARBARA,CHECKED IT EVER 3 HRS,

AS I SAILED FOR SAN FRAN ,SOME 400 MILES AND 30 DAYS AWAY AFTER 5 HRS .... I RAN SMACK INTO 30 FT WAVES AND 60 KNOT WINDS...IT PICKED MY 30 FT SLOOP CLEAR OUTA THE WATER ,THIS WAS WORSE THAN THE MOVIE A" PERFECT STORM" AS FAR AS THE SEA HITTING ME, I FOUGHT FOR MY LIFE 10 HRS UNTIL ,I HAD TO CRAWL TO THE BOW AND REEL BACK THE GENOA WHEN THE 1/2 INCH NYLON LINE SNAPPED LIKE A 45 GOING OFF ,,CAUSING THE SAIL TO RUN WILD AS I PLUNGED UP AND DOWN 10 TO 15 FT EVEN UNDER THE WAVES IN 60 MPH WINDS AND 30 FT WAVES,THEN CUTTING LOSE MY LIFE LINE WHEN IT BECAME FOULED ON A CLEAT..( A REAL BIG NO NO !) HOLDING ON WITH ONE HAND I SURVIVED IT IT RIPPED OFF A SNEAKER AND SOCK ( NIKE! MADE IN VIET NAM ..TOLD YA ) AND 1/2 MY FOUL WEATHER GEAR THE RIGGING AND SAILS GAVE WAY EVEN RIPPED APART A BIG MASTER PAD LOCK I JURY RIGGED TO THE BOOM ,,SAILS GONE, ENGINE DOWN, IT BROKE OFF THE BOOM AND BENT THE STEEL MAST THEN I COULDN'T GET THE COAST GUARD ON THE RADIO SHE DAM NEAR ROLLED MANY TIMES ..SMASHING ME AROUND THE CABIN AS CAN GOODS AND GEAR BROKE LOOSE BELTED ME ... SEA AND WIND WAS SO STRONG ,THEY AT LAST FOUND ME ( OUTA FLARES ) AND TOWED ME INTO MARINA DEL REY WHERE I SOLD HER 12,000$ WORTH FOR 250$ AND WALKED AWAY..... TO A JUG OR RUM

I STILL HAVE FULL USE OF HERE WHEN REPAIRED SOME TIME I WILL GO BACK OUT ON HER JUST ABOUT NEVER TIME ....
I WILL GET ..A 40 TON STEEL HULL AND DO IT AGAIN AFTER I HEAL UP 3 DAYS... LATER 4 MEN GOT KILLED NOT FAR AWAY ONE BODY STILL MISSING .ILL NEVER SAIL CA EVER AGAIN .I JUST GOT A NEW BOAT ( BLUE WATER ) IN THE BAY ..AND I WILL GO TO OREGON OR SEATTLE TO LIVE ABOARD ..SCREW CALIFORNIA CAPT REY

PS MY NEW BOAT? A DOCK KNOCKED MARIE HOLMS AT A SALVAGE BID SIGHT ,IT COST A FORTUNE ..63.00 $ NO ONE BID....WHOS GOT DUCT TAPE?
CAPTREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 13:25   #41

Boat: PETERSON 44
Wow what a story. My experience with harbormasters is they once were sea going managers of the anchorage. Now they are collectors of fees to serve and collect. Annapolis MD is about the same. The hRbor master used. To ne a sailor now they are vigilant fee collectors who are obliged too check credentials.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 13:39   #42

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTREY View Post
I BOUGHT A NEW PORT 27 OFF E BAY ,AND FOUND OUT SHE NEEDED MORE IN REPAIRS THAN I HAD IN THE BANK ( NEVER MARRY A LAWYER) ,THE SAIL RIPPED( 1,500 STITCHES) BY HAND AND I KICKED AROUND LA LONG BEACH MARINA DEL REY 30 DAYS ,THE YAMMAR DIED ,I GOT TOWED TIME AND AGAIN AND RUN OFFANCHORAGES TIME AND AGAIN ,THERES A BUNCH OF GUYS LIVING OFF MARINA DEL REY IN A FED ANCHORAGE THAT THEY HASSLE EVERY DAY ..I HAD ENOUGH AND COUDENT WAIT LONGER TO GET THE HELL OUTA THERE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED

I GOT NO BAD WEATHER REPORTS ON A STORM AND IT WAS A NICE SUNNY DAY OFF SANTA BARBARA,CHECKED IT EVER 3 HRS,

AS I SAILED FOR SAN FRAN ,SOME 400 MILES AND 30 DAYS AWAY AFTER 5 HRS .... I RAN SMACK INTO 30 FT WAVES AND 60 KNOT WINDS...IT PICKED MY 30 FT SLOOP CLEAR OUTA THE WATER ,THIS WAS WORSE THAN THE MOVIE A" PERFECT STORM" AS FAR AS THE SEA HITTING ME, I FOUGHT FOR MY LIFE 10 HRS UNTIL ,I HAD TO CRAWL TO THE BOW AND REEL BACK THE GENOA WHEN THE 1/2 INCH NYLON LINE SNAPPED LIKE A 45 GOING OFF ,,CAUSING THE SAIL TO RUN WILD AS I PLUNGED UP AND DOWN 10 TO 15 FT EVEN UNDER THE WAVES IN 60 MPH WINDS AND 30 FT WAVES,THEN CUTTING LOSE MY LIFE LINE WHEN IT BECAME FOULED ON A CLEAT..( A REAL BIG NO NO !) HOLDING ON WITH ONE HAND I SURVIVED IT IT RIPPED OFF A SNEAKER AND SOCK ( NIKE! MADE IN VIET NAM ..TOLD YA ) AND 1/2 MY FOUL WEATHER GEAR THE RIGGING AND SAILS GAVE WAY EVEN RIPPED APART A BIG MASTER PAD LOCK I JURY RIGGED TO THE BOOM ,,SAILS GONE, ENGINE DOWN, IT BROKE OFF THE BOOM AND BENT THE STEEL MAST THEN I COULDN'T GET THE COAST GUARD ON THE RADIO SHE DAM NEAR ROLLED MANY TIMES ..SMASHING ME AROUND THE CABIN AS CAN GOODS AND GEAR BROKE LOOSE BELTED ME ... SEA AND WIND WAS SO STRONG ,THEY AT LAST FOUND ME ( OUTA FLARES ) AND TOWED ME INTO MARINA DEL REY WHERE I SOLD HER 12,000$ WORTH FOR 250$ AND WALKED AWAY..... TO A JUG OR RUM

I STILL HAVE FULL USE OF HERE WHEN REPAIRED SOME TIME I WILL GO BACK OUT ON HER JUST ABOUT NEVER TIME ....
I WILL GET ..A 40 TON STEEL HULL AND DO IT AGAIN AFTER I HEAL UP 3 DAYS... LATER 4 MEN GOT KILLED NOT FAR AWAY ONE BODY STILL MISSING .ILL NEVER SAIL CA EVER AGAIN .I JUST GOT A NEW BOAT ( BLUE WATER ) IN THE BAY ..AND I WILL GO TO OREGON OR SEATTLE TO LIVE ABOARD ..SCREW CALIFORNIA CAPT REY

PS MY NEW BOAT? A DOCK KNOCKED MARIE HOLMS AT A SALVAGE BID SIGHT ,IT COST A FORTUNE ..63.00 $ NO ONE BID....WHOS GOT DUCT TAPE?
Come to Coos Bay, Or.,stay at Charleston Harbor. Great place & great staff, Very reasonable rates for annual. Liveaboards welcome..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 13:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTREY View Post

On the left side of the keyboard there's a key marked "Caps Lock". Press it.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 14:15   #44

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

That storm was well forecast. We were in Two Harbors that day, it was rolly and very windy, as forecast. The day that the 4 guys died we were enroute from Catalina to Newport. We had a beautiful sail, I still don't know what happened to those guys.
Old 25-03-2012, 18:00   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
These bureaucrats don't give a sh*t... after spending about 15 years living aboard in SD while in the delivery business, I chucked it all, sold my boat and moved to Nevada. I wouldn't even cross the border to buy a cup of coffee in CA. If I do a delivery now, it is fly in fly out and never spend a dime... no fuel, food, parts or labor. Do all my provisioning in Ensenada if headed south. CA used to be a nice state to visit and live in... no longer... don't know how it got so screwed up but I believe it starts at the top of the political food chain in Sacramento and trickles down through much of the state and local governments. Having dealt with all levels, it amazes me how pervasive rudeness, laziness and just plain ugly attitudes prevail at all levels. It is interesting to compare the DMV in CA and NV. In NV they go out of their way to be helpful. In CA, not so much. Capt Phil
...Man!!!...There is nothing here that I disagree with having lived here for the beter part of 26 years. I remember coming into Santa Barbara at 11pm. There was no way of distinguishing bouy lights from traffic lights. I called the harbor master for local information a few times without help. When I finally made it in at 1 knot, feeling my way in, I asked if he had heard me. His reply?..."You called for Habor master...we are Harbor police"! Jesus on a cracker!!! I couldn't believe my ears.
Everyone seems quite nice from thew top of Ca. to around Ventura. Then the attitudes go south (excuse the pun).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote