Old 09-09-2014, 05:16   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No it is 10-AH (amp-hours)!!!

Maybe you need a new coffee maker if yours takes an hour to brew a pot! Because a Mr.Coffee using 100amps would need to run an hour brewing a pot to get to 100-AH
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Here we go again. It's still 10 amp hours, it's just being used at a rate of 90 amps.
Am I doing my sums wrong again?

Mr. Coffee T22197 1,000 watts

1000/110 = 9 amps

1000/12 = 83 amps

It has a heater element to keep the pot hot. So if you run it an hour it will take 83 amp hours, right?

Sure you can make a pot of coffee in 5 minutes and then turn it off, transfer the coffee to a thermos what ever...

So 83 / (60/5) = 12 amp hrs
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:17   #227
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I like the flavored creamers. Besides the taste I like that they last a long time before going bad ...
BAILEYS!
Baileys Irish Cream has a shelf life of 30 months and guarantees its taste for two years from the day it was made - opened or unopened, stored in a refrigerator or not, when stored away from direct sunlight at temperatures between 0 and 25 °C (32 and 77 °F).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:33   #228
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Am I doing my sums wrong again?

Mr. Coffee T22197 1,000 watts

1000/110 = 9 amps

1000/12 = 83 amps

It has a heater element to keep the pot hot. So if you run it an hour it will take 83 amp hours, right?

Sure you can make a pot of coffee in 5 minutes and then turn it off, transfer the coffee to a thermos what ever...

So 83 / (60/5) = 12 amp hrs
I never leave the Mr.Coffee on just to keep the coffee hot and I transfer it to a thermos after it brews (same as if I used the french press). But the amp draw of the unit drops WAY off after the brewing is done. I would guess the heating pad doesn't even run till the coffee cools down so I don't even know what the power draw of that is.

I know for a FACT that it takes 10 amp-hours because that it is the amount that my battery monitor changes (as much as you can believe a BM, but I do believe it its' ability to count amps).
Old 09-09-2014, 05:36   #229
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
I never leave the Mr.Coffee on just to keep the coffee hot and I transfer it to a thermos after it brews. But the amp draw of the unit drops WAY off after the brewing is done. I would guess the heating pad doesn't even run till the coffee cools down so I don't even know what the power draw of that is.

I know for a FACT that it takes 10 amp-hours because that it is the amount that my battery monitor changes (as much as you can believe a BM, but I do believe it its' ability to count amps).
Thanks I thought you guys were questioning my conversion from 12V to 110V - I have screwed that up in the past...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:52   #230

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
BAILEYS!
Baileys Irish Cream has a shelf life of 30 months and guarantees its taste for two years from the day it was made - opened or unopened, stored in a refrigerator or not, when stored away from direct sunlight at temperatures between 0 and 25 °C (32 and 77 °F).
There are only two things that should ever be added to straight black coffee: Rum or Whisky
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21   #231

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Mattress

I think “Newt” mentions that cheap foam is better than any expensive ‘house’ mattress, just because the boat moves, and therefore there is no “ischemia” on one’s boat and therefore less need for the body to move during one’s sleep.
Just as an explanation, as soon as the blood supply dwindles in part of one’s body, the body then moves to the restore the blood-supply, to prevent pressure sores. Up until now I never thought that movement of a boat is a very natural way of preventing pressure sores. Hmm all the many intubated patients or paraplegic patients in a hospital should be taken out to sea! The old hospital ships could get a new lease of life that way!
BTW, I slept for 15 years on a cheap 100 mm /4 inch) foam mattress on my boat, and I always have been very comfy. Although if I were to upgrade it would be to a 2 or 3 layered foam mattress.

Seats
To me that is after sleeping the 2nd important asset to a cruising boat. Many seats on most boats are very very uncomfortable. Right now I am in the market for a boat, and if seats are not comfy or cannot be made comfy, that boat is not further considered! Yes, comfy seats on top and in the saloon.

Coffee
Nothing beats the smell of good coffee. Although I am happy to drink instant on most occasions, I have the old expresso machine in the cupboard, a plunger pot (actually I have 2), and my aim is to get one of these, ie the Otto machine, that is after I got new sails, new winches and everything else replaced on my yet to be purchased boat:
The environmentally friendly way to make espresso | Espresso Unplugged Australia

Otto Espresso Maker
OTTO espresso machine

BBQ
I was given a Magna one, too much hassle both using charcoal or gas. I have the same BBQ Weber Q) that Hoohaa and Shufti have, but not on the boat (in my campervan). A wonderful versatile unit, but too big to store on a smaller boat.
Beer
Take or leave it. When the weather is hot, any cold beer is OK with me

Music
Just a CD tuner that can have a USB stick or memory card to play MP3 or other tracks. Running a computer (ie laptop) with external powered speakers uses a lot more power.

Pets
I just loved the reference to a proper watch dog!! And why not? Dogs bark at home when someone comes too close to fence or gate!

Watts in a Joule?
I can easily follow the reasoning of these posts, but maybe too technical for most of us. Suffice to say: the more power one uses, the more power one has to generate or/and store.

Garbage
Hmmm, still looking for good and acceptable solution. Would like to hear more solutions.

Toilet/heads
Indeed a lot of room and problems are allocated to this business. But apart form the Brazilian crew that was mentioned, not one has found a better solution as far as I know.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:43   #232

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

You may talk of ice cold beer when you're sailing safe out here, but when it comes to sailing lofty, you'll do your trick on coffee. With apologies to Kipling, but just below keeping the water out and steerage, coffee is at the top of my list. Good coffee.
I agree that the French Press makes excellent coffee, but they are difficult to clean, breakable, and I've found something that makes better coffee and it ideally suited to a sailboat; the Aeropress.
They are cheap, about $26.00, unbreakable, small, and easy to use and even easier to clean. Just be sure to run some water over the small paper filter before you add the ground coffee. Steel filters are also available.
Of course you've got to start with really good coffee; I do my own roasting, but you can find a coffee you like and stick with it. I buy my coffee from Sweet Maria's; I highly recommend them.
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:02   #233

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Great post Hank! Covered a lot of bases (speaking of ... Jeter played 20 years? Where did the time go?).

I'm guilty of starting the coffee drifting into electrickery discussion. See, it started last year when I bought this super-sailing flat-out blue-water boat and was heading for Bermuda ... on my way to Tahiti, land of free love.

At least it used to be free; probably have to pay for it now. Anyway, I didn't want to use elec to make coffee like some simple land-bound lout so I began to experiment. Umpteen threads and MANY PESOS later, here I am still tied to the dock, sucking amps through a cord and probably always will be, AND drinking really crappy instant coffee. I tried tea too.

I am close to caving in and buying a Mr.Coffee (to replace the one I tossed when I moved aboard my ultrafast upwind Southern Ocean racer).

It's the little things in life.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
The weight of the world is on me? Back in school it was just the eyes of Texas, and that seemed pretty important! (To the cheerleaders.) And if they needed some longhorn cattle action, they called on ol' blue crab ... then previously known as LONGHORN.
Ha anyone mentioned label makers? Here's a prime exmple of poor labeling causing a mixup between his coffee jar and his peyote jar. There's been a minor medication mishap.

OTOH, this now explains the majority of his posts. Especially the early morning ones.

socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:47   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
You may talk of ice cold beer when you're sailing safe out here, but when it comes to sailing lofty, you'll do your trick on coffee. With apologies to Kipling, but just below keeping the water out and steerage, coffee is at the top of my list. Good coffee.
I agree that the French Press makes excellent coffee, but they are difficult to clean, breakable, and I've found something that makes better coffee and it ideally suited to a sailboat; the Aeropress.
They are cheap, about $26.00, unbreakable, small, and easy to use and even easier to clean. Just be sure to run some water over the small paper filter before you add the ground coffee. Steel filters are also available.
Of course you've got to start with really good coffee; I do my own roasting, but you can find a coffee you like and stick with it. I buy my coffee from Sweet Maria's; I highly recommend them.
I was in another forum or thread, and someone mentioned the Aeropross, so I bought one. I love it, although it uses slightly more coffee per cup than a drip coffee maker. If you really want smooth coffee without the bitterness, this is it.

On the topic of BBQ grills, I've posted in another thread that my fave grill is a Weber Q200, however, I've just discovered the new, affordable, Charbroil Tru-infrared X200 portable grill. it's only $120, all cast aluminum, very heavy duty, looks like a portable tool box, with 200 sq in. of stainless steel grate cooking area. I love the results you get with infrared cooking (better sear, more moisture and tenderness with less propane) and this is the first quality one that's reasonably priced.

I also have a propane bottle filler, allows you to refill the small green bottles from a larger 5 or 7 gal tank. Very useful.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:47   #236

Boat: Various

Quote:
The weight of the world is on me? Back in school it was just the eyes of Texas, and that seemed pretty important! (To the cheerleaders.) And if they needed some longhorn cattle action, they called on ol' blue crab ... then previously known as LONGHORN.
Wifey B: Sorry Blue Crab....you did say "eyes" and not "flies" didn't you. I don't know why this Ray Stevens song came to mind. Meant in pure fun and jest as I'm sure you're a Longhorn hunk.

Vs 1
The first time I met Mary Lou
I never entertained the thought of ever leavin' Cleveland.
But then I kissed her ruby reds and she whispered in my ear
That her daddy really cleaned up down in Houston.
She said "Why not come home with me?"
My nose for opportunity could smell the possibility of bucks.
So with Houston there at my disposal
I accepted her proposal,
And wished my friends in Cleveland lots of luck.
But I never dreamed as we were drivin'
Tomorrow I would be arrivin'
To find her daddy owned a fleet of ... Garbage trucks!

Chorus
And "Now the flies of Texas are upon you"
Yeah that is what she said I'm really cleaning up!
The flies of Texas are upon you
Oh this garbage ain't my bag I think I've had enough.

Vs 2
Now I'm on top of the heap,
But as I look around I realize this ain't the kind of heap I was expecting.
'Cause I can see di-STINK-ly
Mary Lou has found somebody new and I've become what I've collected
If I'd have known that night she jump me
She was only gonna dump me
I'd never have become a company man.
So the next time some girl says to me
"My daddy's BIG in Tennessee!"
I'll assume she means that he just... fat!
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:46   #237

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Ha anyone mentioned label makers? Here's a prime exmple of poor labeling causing a mixup between his coffee jar and his peyote jar. There's been a minor medication mishap.

OTOH, this now explains the majority of his posts. Especially the early morning ones.

Heh heh. I'm sure most realize 99.9% of my stuff is just for fun. Even when it is at my expense, fun is fun.

And excellent post WifeyB! You are one of my favorite CFers and clearly the better half.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 14:01   #238

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Peyote in the coffee jar? Talk about medicated goo! What if the customs guy wants a cup of coffee? Oh the humanity!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 14:16   #239

Boat: Various

Quote:
Heh heh. I'm sure most realize 99.9% of my stuff is just for fun. Even when it is at my expense, fun is fun.
Wifey B: So something we don't talk much about....fun. Entertainment. Humor. Hobbies. It can't just be boat and just be cruise. You gotta live fully. We carry a keyboard, karaoke type background music, etc. on board. Basketball and tennis rackets too although we don't play with them on the boat. But whether together or separate, you need to have other things you like to do. Maybe one of you likes to take the dinghy and fish while the other wants to knit or read. Don't get isolated from the rest of life. Get dvd's of humor, concerts, whatever you enjoy. Turn the music up. Dance. Be silly.

One of the biggest pitfalls of retirement is having no hobbies and just sitting doing nothing with each other which leads to boredom and fights. And yes you can do nothing on a boat. Maybe it's bird watching. It doesn't matter. But it can't all be about the boat. Darn it, let the fool deck have a few spots and go inside and play. Or find local music. Or one of you find the local gardens and the other go find the sports field. Yes, we love the peacefulness, but don't let it turn to boredom. And just as being a workaholic before retirement is bad, it is after too. Video games. Now don't laugh. Did you know Wii is one of the most used tools in senior centers? Try something new. Learn to play the banjo or guitar. Paint even if you're lousy at it. For real, live and try and learn and play and laugh.

You know some of the wives who say lets return to land may not like the boat or the rough water or miss something on shore but some may be freaking bored out of their gourd.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 14:38   #240
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I have to agree with both BC and WifeyB. For many years I was obsessed with sailing. All I thought about was boats and sailing and living on board one. I succeeded in doing a lot of it and it was great and all I thought it would be.

I figured that when I got old I would go back to that lifestyle. But, even then, there were times when I missed things. I missed my cars and going for a drive. I missed riding a motorcycle. I even missed cleaning and polishing one. I missed playing tennis regularly.

I became a pensioner a couple of months ago and now we are not sure if it is the lifestyle for us at the moment. My lady and I still love exploring by four wheel drive. We still love riding motorcycles. I still enjoy sports, both playing and watching, although there is more watching than playing nowadays.

She is a shutterbug fanatic, as some of you will have observed on the DSLR thread, and spends hours looking for shots while I tag along with the dog.

We have a couple of small boats, one an open 15' dayboat and the idea of camp cruising in that very much appeals to us.

Above all that though, we laugh and be silly every day without fail. Maybe we would not do so if we were tied to the boat as our only escape. Just maybe the escape would turn into the opposite and tie us down a little. There are no answers that are final and clear cut, but at the moment, we are having fun doing what we do, so when we stop having fun, we will look at alternatives again.

Coops.

Tags
import